Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times

Advertisements

Some Black high school seniors in Dallas went to tour Texas A&M and received racist slurs from the students. It just baffles me that stuff like this is still going on and this is why I do not understand why Texans continue to claim racism is not an issue in Texas when it's very apparent that it is and it seems to be only getting worse.

Yes I know the whole there are lots of transplants in Dallas blah blah blah but that doesn't change the fact that the culture in Dallas over all is very segregated. I'm a transplant myself and have been in Dallas a few years now and I experience racism on a daily bases. When I'm at North Park or the Galleria, Preston Village, hec I was at Henderson Tap house and this White girl purposely spilled her drink on me, and it wasn't a simple spill it was a pore that got all in my hair and my dress and she didn't say anything and her date just turned the other way. After they left a White girl did walked up to me and apologize for that girl because she felt bad for me.

I have met some nice White people in Dallas sure, however I didn't know the level of racism that exist here still went on. Also the racism isn't just Whites but a lot of Hispanics are racist toward Blacks as well which was very shocking to me given they are minorities themselves. My Asian friends have been called oriental and had to wait long periods of time before being served so I'm not just talking about Blacks but racism across the board. Everyone in Dallas always says racism doesn't happen blah blah blah but unless you're Black or Asian etc. how would you even know as you don't walk in our shoes and people wouldn't keep insisting racism is an issue in Dallas/Texas if it wasn't.

Also the fact that anyone who is interested in moving to Dallas and Black, they're always recommended to go South and that is for a reason. Sure there are Blacks that live up North as I'm one of them but I also grew up in a predominately White suburb so being around mostly Whites is not uncomfortable for me however for most Blacks they would not feel welcomed in the Northern suburbs.

There is a reason why racism is a concern to potential transplants and they have every reason to be concerned not only for themselves but for their children also. This can also apply to Whites as well since I have White friends that moved here and they too were appalled at the racism. One of my White friends daughter said one of her friends asked her why her mom had Black friends. So there are children that are encouraging racism which makes it very hard on parents.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
TAMU is not in Dallas...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
A&m is in the **** town of college station. Racism in that city and those that attend that school isnt surprising. At the same time I know black women who went to A&m and are still all into aggie stuff so at least some in the student population didn't experience it. Id have a hard time believing the population is becoming more racists as millennial and younger are polled overwhelming the opposite. Even in texas. Does not discount what you experienced, but please dont stereotype all of Dallas or texas

Old 02-11-2016, 07:10 PM

Well the fact of the matter is it's not getting better and in this day and age it shouldn't still be going on especially in the capacity that it is. The same way racism at SMU which is in Dallas is very prevalent. Its not a stereotype regardless of how you don't want to admit it, racism is very prevalent in Dallas and people need to be honest about it when the topic arises, especially to those that are considering moving here.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:49 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
I heard about the incident in College Station and while appalling, I'm not surprised. However, I'm sure a lot of the posters here will say the black students brought on themselves for visiting A&M in the first place and that the lady and students who harassed them were just "expressing their freedom of speech" and to "get over it," or some verbal gymnastics attempting to downplay or dismiss this. So don't look for too much empathy on this forum about this.

Even when black students from a school with a 100% college acceptance rate are visiting a college, they're still considered a nuisance and a burden to be around to most of those types in general. Since Latinos are used for cheap labor nowadays, most want blacks outright eradicated. Too many black people in Texas in general are too oblivious to realize that though.

As for your views and experiences about Dallas, I've known of various experiences from blacks who moved there, so you're experiences are not surprising, and the city has the reputation that it does for a reason:http://http://www.dmagazine.com/publ...allas?single=1

Last edited by biscuit_head; 02-11-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I know sometimes it's racism, but sometimes it isn't. If a white couple is in a restaurant and the service is slow, they don't perceive it as anything having to do with them. A black couple is more likely to think it's racism. I'm sure there are exceptions to anything I say. I don't presume to know what others are thinking, but these are conclusions I've heard in many discussions about the same subject.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I heard about the incident in College Station and while appalling, I'm not surprised. However, I'm sure a lot of the posters here will say the black students brought on themselves for visiting A&M in the first place and that the lady and students who harassed them were just "expressing their freedom of speech" and to "get over it." So don't look for too much empathy on this forum about this.

Even when black students from a school with a 100% college acceptance rate to college are visiting a college, they're still considered a nuisance and a burden to be around to most of those types in general. Since Latinos are used for cheap labor nowadays, most want blacks outright eradicated. Too many black people in Texas in general are too oblivious to realize that though.

As for your views and experiences about Dallas, I've known of various experiences from blacks who moved there, so you're experiences are not surprising, and the city has the reputation that it does for a reason:http://http://www.dmagazine.com/publ...allas?single=1
Yep and it just baffles me that I come on here and the people in Dallas/Texas say what they say, I'm like are you kidding me? I know it's not something to be proud of and shout from the rooftops but when people are asking about info pertaining to Dallas especially moving here, you need to be honest with the issues that go on here and racism and segregation is a big one.

How can you say it doesn't happen but in the same breath recommend Blacks to move to the Southern sector of the city? Also if you're not a minority then you really can't say what actions are taking place and the effects it has on us. I have to catch myself from becoming jaded now that I live here because it will really change you if you let it get to you and I'm determined to not allow Dallas to change me.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I know sometimes it's racism, but sometimes it isn't. If a white couple is in a restaurant and the service is slow, they don't perceive it as anything having to do with them. A black couple is more likely to think it's racism. I'm sure there are exceptions to anything I say. I don't presume to know what others are thinking, but these are conclusions I've heard in many discussions about the same subject.
No when you see your server constantly going to all the other tables except yours, that is a slight. No way to get around that, I have stood at the bar and got ignored while a White girl walks up and the bartender almost breaks his neck to serve her. Then after he serves her, he looks around and see no other bartender is around so at this point he has to be the one to serve me whether he wants too or not.

Trying to find a way to discredit the racism doesn't make it not a reality. People are not stupid and they know when they're being treated unfairly but again you'd have to be one of us to actually understand. Just like you will never know how it feels to walk in a store and automatically get starred at and followed around because they think you're going to steal something.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
No when you see your server constantly going to all the other tables except yours, that is a slight. No way to get around that, I have stood at the bar and got ignored while a White girl walks up and the bartender almost breaks his neck to serve her. Then after he serves her, he looks around and see no other bartender is around so at this point he has to be the one to serve me whether he wants too or not.

Trying to find a way to discredit the racism doesn't make it not a reality. People are not stupid and they know when they're being treated unfairly but again you'd have to be one of us to actually understand. Just like you will never know how it feels to walk in a store and automatically get starred at and followed around because they think you're going to steal something.
I don't believe you.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
A&m is in the **** town of college station. Racism in that city and those that attend that school isnt surprising. At the same time I know black women who went to A&m and are still all into aggie stuff so at least some in the student population didn't experience it. Id have a hard time believing the population is becoming more racists as millennial and younger are polled overwhelming the opposite. Even in texas. Does not discount what you experienced, but please dont stereotype all of Dallas or texas
It may be hard to believe, but millenials actually aren't overwhelmingly the opposite. Not even in Texas.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...their-parents/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas