Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
We prefer to commute by cars/trucks in DFW. Gasoline is cheap, highways are nice and you don't depend on the DART's schedule. Total freedom of movement!!!
Except for the wear and tear that piles up from driving those long distances around/across town on each errand. On top of that, toll roads popping up and increasing the COL. Imagine providing the equipment and propulsion but still having to pay for the pathway? Transit price includes everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
For me it's the opposite, though I don't love DART because the bus stops are a total joke and the rail line is very limited.
Owning a car totally sucks.
Wish we could return to a downtown-centric metro setup. I admire Chicago's loop for its accessibility by Metra and the weekend schedule. I would rather park at the Metra station and take the train to the loop than to drive the tollways to the neighboring suburb if the store location or item is not in my suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:06 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
I think I made my views known before, and I will admit I am bias, but I really do like the DART. And I have been on better systems for metro rail, well, only one better system, but the Seoul Public Transportation system is often regarded as one of the best. Others mentioned that people are disappointed by comparing DART to BART or New York's, but they were made differently under different situations.

I've only taken the Green line and, on a few occasions, Orange line (as well as the A-Train, but I believe that is under DCTA) and I haven't had this issue with trash, although just a few days ago a homeless man walked up to me and just asked for money.* I appreciate how DART is set up, having stations in the suburbs, and I do believe it can have positive impacts on the areas.

*Not to say the homeless are trash, I just noticed how that some may feel I was implying that. I was homeless for some time and can sympathize. I was just trying to think of less desirable occurrences at DART stations.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 10,723 times
Dart is great, I ride it daily. The best thing about it is that it is free of suburban racists and germophobe cowards (you may have noticed this from the other comments here).

Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,043 times
The cool thing about DART rail is the fare enforcement that rarely if ever walks through the trains only asks the suburban caucasian riders for proof of payment.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:27 AM

379 posts, read 366,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The cool thing about DART rail is the fare enforcement that rarely if ever walks through the trains only asks the suburban caucasian riders for proof of payment.
Actually, it's the exact opposite. They don't even stop to wait for my GoPass to load on my phone (I'm white) but they aggressively demand proof from the scruffy looking black guy next to me.

Do you actually ride the train?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:06 AM

346 posts, read 730,454 times
I'm a white person and every inspector I've seen has asked us all equally. They demand my pass, and demand everyone else's.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:52 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
I'm a white person and every inspector I've seen has asked us all equally. They demand my pass, and demand everyone else's.
This. When they are on any train I've been on, they've methodically moved thru the entire car, person by person.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Looks like they're expanding the system, look nice. Is it mostly commuters or people running errands and using it all day?

Is it like here where you just show up at a station and a train comes every 2-5 minutes at peak times or up to 10-12 minutes off-peak/overnight? Or do you look at a schedule and time it out to a specific train? I would figure headways would be longer than Chicago just based on simple usage.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
Quote:
Is it like here where you just show up at a station and a train comes every 2-5 minutes at peak times or up to 10-12 minutes off-peak/overnight? Or do you look at a schedule and time it out to a specific train? I would figure headways would be longer than Chicago just based on simple usage.
Generally, they come every 15 minutes or so at peak, and every 30 mins off peak.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Generally, they come every 15 minutes or so at peak, and every 30 mins off peak.
15 minutes on peak time?. Sheesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas