Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM

59 posts, read 54,200 times

Advertisements

I need to watch what I spend, I tried Aldi and recently I found a 99 cents store. Where do you suggest doing my grocery shopping and shopping for small items in the house? I live in Plano area. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM

56 posts, read 56,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny2013 View Post
I need to watch what I spend, I tried Aldi and recently I found a 99 cents store. Where do you suggest doing my grocery shopping and shopping for small items in the house? I live in Plano area. thank you
Between Aldi and the Dollar store you are covered.

Some people say tha winco foods is cheaper, but I have not visited any of their stores.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
The Asian stores are usually cheap, too. H-Mart and Rancho, which is more Latino. I know there is a big Asian grocery in Plano b/c my d-I-l goes there once a month to load up. The Dollar store has very good prices but you can't always get what you need and there aren't any fresh fruit/veggies/meats.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
And frankly I don't know about the safety of some of those products in the really cheap 99 cent type stores

Google for some news stories

Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Asian stores are usually cheap, too. H-Mart and Rancho, which is more Latino. I know there is a big Asian grocery in Plano b/c my d-I-l goes there once a month to load up. The Dollar store has very good prices but you can't always get what you need and there aren't any fresh fruit/veggies/meats.
Plano has a H mart and Ranch 99 for Asian grocery.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM
teb

83 posts, read 103,426 times
Fiesta grocery market.
Dollar General

Winco

In that order

Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Sprouts has great sales too; check the weekly grocery ads. If you don't mind going to more than one store, you can get some really good deals.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 40,651 times
Are Walmart and Costco competitive or high?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospered View Post
Are Walmart and Costco competitive or high?
I wouldn't consider Costco to be all that cheap simply because there are very few of them in DFW and it's $55/year to join, so you'd have to be able to quantify your savings vs the membership fee and potential extra gas it takes just to get there....plus the time/hassle involved in actually shopping there.

Plus...and obviously this varies from person to person...but it often doesn't make sense for a single person living alone to buy in bulk unless they're stocking up on things that don't go bad...and again, you need to do the math to figure out whether the savings are worth it.

Mr. BigD and I are Sam's members because Costco doesn't sell a lot of what we buy at Sam's, or the quality at Sam's is better. It's worth it for us, but we did do the math. I've been a Costco member as a single woman and didn't renew.

Wal-Mart...depends on what you're buying. They are competitive on groceries, but they're the cheapest maybe half the time. I know what's cheaper there vs what's cheaper at my other local markets and I do all my grocery shopping on a 3-mile stretch of Coit Rd, so it's not a hassle to visit 2-3 stores in a row.

Some people will tell you that Wal-Mart's Savings Catcher app is all you need to get the cheapest price and do all your shopping in one place, but experience has taught me that that is not true. It misses sale prices all the time. All. The. Time. That doesn't mean it's not worth scanning that receipt, but it misses sales as often as it catches them. They should call it the "Saving Sometimes Catcher." Or "We'll Catch Savings When We Feel Like It."

Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM

645 posts, read 834,783 times
Aldi is cheap. Asian markets are cheap. But the veggie quality in these stores are not as good as Tom Thumb, Albertsons etc. Rest of the stuff is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas