Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadtexan View Post
Smh
I won't even answer that question, but I will say we are tired of being overrun. I remember when my parents knew everyone in the whole town. Now it's become an ocean of outsiders that have completely diluted the small town Texas everyone is desperately seeking and reading about on the internet. Another Texas well gone bad.
People have not reacted well to this poster's sentiments, but they have merit. Some of the Collin County municipalities have grown absurdly fast over time. Frisco had 6,000 people in 1990. In the present day, it is just shy of 150,000. That's a lot of growth in a short period of time. In the same time period, McKinney has gone from 21,000 to just under 160,000. That sort of population growth drastically changes the character of a city.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
People have not reacted well to this poster's sentiments, but they have merit. Some of the Collin County municipalities have grown absurdly fast over time. Frisco had 6,000 people in 1990. In the present day, it is just shy of 150,000. That's a lot of growth in a short period of time. In the same time period, McKinney has gone from 21,000 to just under 160,000. That sort of population growth drastically changes the character of a city.
That's a question of zoning for your municipal government, then. But it's hardly surprising (to anyone but the poster in question) that bringing it up in a thread about "Is <some town> racist" raises some eyebrows.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:58 AM

53 posts, read 77,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
RJ312 thank you for the numbers.
We used to ride our bikes in the street, play ball with no problems. People would wave going by. Now they just give dirty looks for being in their way while we try and cross the street.I guess I'm just being narrow minded missing these things? Just kiss the house and quiet little neighborhood you grew up in goodbye. Lucky we are being graced with such skilled workers.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 PM

190 posts, read 288,163 times
Quote:
RJ312 thank you for the numbers.
We used to ride our bikes in the street, play ball with no problems. People would wave going by. Now they just give dirty looks for being in their way while we try and cross the street.I guess I'm just being narrow minded missing these things? Just kiss the house and quiet little neighborhood you grew up in goodbye. Lucky we are being graced with such skilled workers.
And how exactly do you know those people are outsiders? Unless you are making the assumption based on their race? You can see where I'm going here.

Also, this sounds more like an issue with your specific neighbourhood. There are lots of neighborhoods in Collin county where kids play outside and ride bikes. Dare I say, without any adult supervision. I know it because I live in such a neighborhood.

Urban sprawl is not a new phenomenon. And I am not sure if you would rather want to live in an economically stagnant town. I do understand where you are coming from. But I hope you can see why you come off as a racist with your "oh these outsiders are ruining everything" attitude in response to someone asking about racism in the area.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 PM

53 posts, read 77,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
And how exactly do you know those people are outsiders? Unless you are making the assumption based on their race? You can see where I'm going here.

Also, this sounds more like an issue with your specific neighbourhood. There are lots of neighborhoods in Collin county where kids play outside and ride bikes. Dare I say, without any adult supervision. I know it because I live in such a neighborhood.

Urban sprawl is not a new phenomenon. And I am not sure if you would rather want to live in an economically stagnant town. I do understand where you are coming from. But I hope you can see why you come off as a racist with your "oh these outsiders are ruining everything" attitude in response to someone asking about racism in the area.
Do me a favor come sit at walker and church for just a couple minutes. Let's count how many out of state plates fly by, all are from states that are far too far away to be just visiting. The racism question was so stupid I didn't even answer it I went straight to the "relocating" end of the question. And I will not back down in saying there are too many people moving here and not bringing their manners with them.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Do me a favor come sit at walker and church for just a couple minutes. Let's count how many out of state plates fly by, all are from states that are far too far away to be just visiting.
First of all, it may astonish you to discover this, but people actually drive all over the country to visit. Second, if they're not visiting, why don't they have Texas license plates??

Quote:
The racism question was so stupid I didn't even answer it
The thread is about racism. Don't blame others if they assumed that you were answering the question that the OP asked.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:50 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yeah, gee, sorry I don't care enough about your little hissy fit to go back and quote you word-for-word. The implication of your statement was clear to everyone.
It takes someone with a big chip on his shoulder to interpret it the way you did.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It takes someone with a big chip on his shoulder to interpret it the way you did.
I thought the interpretation was pretty obvious, given the context, and I wasn't the only one.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:39 PM

468 posts, read 475,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenabe View Post
Hello,

We're considering moving to McKinney, TX from NYC. Could you please tell me what this town is like? Are people open minded about blacks, Asians, gays, etc?

We're an Asian-American straight couple (Koreans) with no kids, and we both work from home. So school and work isn't the issue. We're simply looking for a better living situation than what NYC can offer us.

We were considering Plano, TX because of the high Asian population, but Mckinney seems to have better housing for the price asked. Will we see a lot of other Asians in Mckinney area?

Thanks for all your help! Really appreciate it!
Most Korean families were targeting Frisco, Allen and Plano, as for the larger collin towns. But i think more and more are going to mckinney now.

I will pm you with the name of a realtor who was invaluable for my relocation from CT.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
I thought the interpretation was pretty obvious, given the context, and I wasn't the only one.

Yeah, there were two of you, but your interpretation was impossible for anyone who actually lives here. To reach the conclusion you reached, you had to presume something about the demographics of McKinney that the rest of us know to be false. And you would not make that false presumption unless you were predisposed to look for and find "racism" everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: