Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 31,773 times

Advertisements

We're applying to Kinder for the 17-18' school year. Would love to hear current parents experience thus far.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:09 AM

185 posts, read 169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbla34 View Post
We're applying to Kinder for the 17-18' school year. Would love to hear current parents experience thus far.
Our daughter is currently enrolled in 1st grade at Solar and we are very pleased thus far. The curriculum is very forward-looking. Most learning is project based, meaning that they don't sit and listen to a teacher explain something and then demonstrate that they listened by passing a test or doing an assignment. Instead, the projects they are given teach about the subject matter. For example, in the projects I've seen they had to follow a process of describing in writing what they are going to make, draw a design of it, make the object, use it in a field trial, and then write about the results and describe what worked, what didn't and what they would do differently next time. For reading and math they use a computer based learning program that moves them up as they answer questions correctly, that way you can have varying levels of skills within a classroom without holding anyone back or pushing anyone too fast. The teacher does monitor their results and progress on these programs.

One of the things I like best about the school is its focus on creating future female leaders. They start everyday with a pep rally, talk about their Solar 6 principles, call each other out for good choices, and get pumped up for a day of learning. These girls are going to be fierce when they grow up.

The economic disparity has not been an issue. While admission is a lottery, parents have already "self selected" by taking the initiative to try and get a better education for their daughters. Attendance at parent meetings is very high as everyone is engaged and enthusiastic.

As a new school there are some things still being worked out. It's located in a busy area and the car line can be brutal. But they are working on that and there will be future improvements to the campus building and layout. The building is older but it has been refreshed and has new furniture. My understanding is there will be a new building built on campus.

This is not a sports school, so it may not be the best choice if you want your daughter to participate in school athletics. Students can play on other DISD school teams.

The one thing I am disappointed in is that only one class per grade is dual language. My daughter did not get into that classroom (it's another lottery). She used to have Spanish and her previous school and now she gets none. I've started doing it with her at home using a software app, but it's not the immersive experience I had hoped for.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
Our daughter is currently enrolled in 1st grade at Solar and we are very pleased thus far. The curriculum is very forward-looking. Most learning is project based, meaning that they don't sit and listen to a teacher explain something and then demonstrate that they listened by passing a test or doing an assignment. Instead, the projects they are given teach about the subject matter. For example, in the projects I've seen they had to follow a process of describing in writing what they are going to make, draw a design of it, make the object, use it in a field trial, and then write about the results and describe what worked, what didn't and what they would do differently next time. For reading and math they use a computer based learning program that moves them up as they answer questions correctly, that way you can have varying levels of skills within a classroom without holding anyone back or pushing anyone too fast. The teacher does monitor their results and progress on these programs.

One of the things I like best about the school is its focus on creating future female leaders. They start everyday with a pep rally, talk about their Solar 6 principles, call each other out for good choices, and get pumped up for a day of learning. These girls are going to be fierce when they grow up.

The economic disparity has not been an issue. While admission is a lottery, parents have already "self selected" by taking the initiative to try and get a better education for their daughters. Attendance at parent meetings is very high as everyone is engaged and enthusiastic.

As a new school there are some things still being worked out. It's located in a busy area and the car line can be brutal. But they are working on that and there will be future improvements to the campus building and layout. The building is older but it has been refreshed and has new furniture. My understanding is there will be a new building built on campus.

This is not a sports school, so it may not be the best choice if you want your daughter to participate in school athletics. Students can play on other DISD school teams.

The one thing I am disappointed in is that only one class per grade is dual language. My daughter did not get into that classroom (it's another lottery). She used to have Spanish and her previous school and now she gets none. I've started doing it with her at home using a software app, but it's not the immersive experience I had hoped for.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Great feedback! I'm glad it is going so well. And for the previous poster, one thing I'd point out is that I know two people who ended up getting in from the waitlist after failing to get a spot in the lottery. They had ultimately already decided on other schools at that point, and also didn't like the late release at SOLAR (cut into after school activities). But the point is, if you really like it and get waitlisted, there's hope.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:23 AM

185 posts, read 169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Great feedback! I'm glad it is going so well. And for the previous poster, one thing I'd point out is that I know two people who ended up getting in from the waitlist after failing to get a spot in the lottery. They had ultimately already decided on other schools at that point, and also didn't like the late release at SOLAR (cut into after school activities). But the point is, if you really like it and get waitlisted, there's hope.
School release is 4:15 and I agree that's kind of late. However, for working parents like us it's okay because she goes to the afterschool program, which is on site and run by the YMCA.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post

I can confirm this as well. We had a similar situation with our daughter. She was on the wait list and we recieved a call about a month ago letting us know a spot was open. She is happy at her current school so we didn't take the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: