U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 112,722 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family is narrowing down our choices of where to live. We are drawn to Lake Highlands, but are wondering about the crime there. Which neighborhoods are safer than others? Which areas should we avoid? How is the Lake Highlands Town Center (is that what it's called?) supposed to impact this, such as by tearing down apt complexes that are hot spots for crime, or is it being developed in an area that is already pretty safe?

I appreciate all input you can offer us. And I'd love if you can give street boundaries of neighborhoods that you mention so that I can get an idea of where neighborhoods are on maps.

Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:02 AM

4,198 posts, read 14,393,032 times
Check this map. You can narrow it down to a street level and check out the exact details of any crime. Don't forget to check the box for the type of crime you are looking for and there's a box for "all crimes" too. It's an interesting tool. Also, when you really narrow it down to a neighborhood, drive around at different times of day and evenings and weekends and get a better feel for it. Also may to knock on doors of homeowners and ask them how they feel about living there. I have done it many many times with clients since I want them to hear it from the source.

City of Dallas Interactive Maps

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM

6,578 posts, read 24,157,150 times
Especially drive around Lake Highlands Jr High when school is letting out at 3:30.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the web site. I'm not sure how much driving around we'll be able to do since we'll only be able to go to Dallas one or two times before we move.

We'll need to zero in on certain neighhborhoods in our house search before we arrive.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,168,207 times
What are your need/want list? Price/size? Maybe those of us who live in Lake Highlands can help steer you.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
What are your need/want list? Price/size? Maybe those of us who live in Lake Highlands can help steer you.
That would be great.

We want to spend not more than $350k. As for the house itself - probably 2500 sf would be fine. We'd like a 4/2. No pool. We would like a lot of trees, or larger trees, on the lot, and a big backyard would be super. We're not concerned with the age of the house.

We need excellent schools - we have a 2-year old and are hoping to live in this next house for quite some time.

We prefer to be within walking distance to a park and a coffee shop or restaurant. We enjoy taking a walk on Sunday mornings to get coffee and bagels from our current house (in Austin) and would like to be able to continue to do something similar. (That's why I was wondering about the new Town Center development - but will it even have something like this in it?)

We would also like to live somewhere where a woman doesn't have to feel uncomfortable jogging alone in the daylight. We would like to be within pretty close driving distance (5-10 min) to White Rock Lake - if it is safe to go to alone.

We think Lake Highlands is the part of Dallas that most likely suits us best. My husband has some concerns about crime though, and we're trying to get an idea of where to look and where to avoid.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,393,032 times
Typical lots in Lake Highlands are about 70 X 130 but there are always exceptions. this is larger than the norm about 60 X 120.

I just did a quick search in the MLS and found 7 homes on the market right now that match the criteria you gave.

Naima

Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie23 View Post
That would be great.

We want to spend not more than $350k. As for the house itself - probably 2500 sf would be fine. We'd like a 4/2. No pool. We would like a lot of trees, or larger trees, on the lot, and a big backyard would be super. We're not concerned with the age of the house.
You just described my neighborhood. We live in Merriman Park North. This area is the 75231 zip code. It's Richardson School District. The elementary, Jr High and High School are considered very desirable. Homes in the neighborhood are going in the $120-140/sq ft range. Built in the mid to late 70's. Look at the neighborhoods between Skillman and Abrams, anywhere from Royal Lane to the greenbelt w/White Rock trail (south of Walnut Hill). If you stay south of Church Road, you'll be within easy walking distance to the LH Town Center when it's built. Trees? That's why we moved here. Two mature, gorgeous Live Oaks in the front - two beautiful Red Oaks in the back. Our home in particular needed a lot of updating and had plenty of deferred maintenance, but we are almost completed with bringing it up to speed. I also see many home owners updating their homes.

Quote:
We need excellent schools - we have a 2-year old and are hoping to live in this next house for quite some time.
RISD. See comments above.

Quote:
We prefer to be within walking distance to a park and a coffee shop or restaurant. We enjoy taking a walk on Sunday mornings to get coffee and bagels from our current house (in Austin) and would like to be able to continue to do something similar. (That's why I was wondering about the new Town Center development - but will it even have something like this in it?)
There are several parks in the area. On the corner of White Rock Trail (the road, not the hiking trail) and Church Road, is the community center. It has a nice park, a free spray park and a very inexpensive public pool (something like $1 for kids, $2 for adults). There's a nice park that has the White Rock hike/bike trail going through it just off of Merriman Park Drive - which is located just south of Walnut Hill, between Skillman and Abrams. Several homes for sale in your price/size range here - and awesome trees. Just 1/4 mile up the jogging trail, the other side of Abrams, is a nice set of tennis courts if that's your thing. The white rock trail is 3 miles from White Rock Lake.

On the down side, we don't have a lot of coffee/bagel type shops - and not within walking distance. My hope is that the LHTC gets a bagel/coffee shop. Otherwise, you could pick up bagels and bring them to our house - we have a very nice espresso machine and have the best beans shipped in from Chicago.

Quote:
We would also like to live somewhere where a woman doesn't have to feel uncomfortable jogging alone in the daylight. We would like to be within pretty close driving distance (5-10 min) to White Rock Lake - if it is safe to go to alone.
My wife's comments here: White Rock Trail is perfectly fine - but obviosuly do this during the daylight. White Rock Lake has some areas that are rather secluded that should be avoided by any individual person, but there are alternative routes through the park that are more open. If you have a running partner, the entire trail would be fine. FYI: it's just over 9 miles around the lake. Lots of cyclists and joggers. Saturday mornings are packed, so it's a great time to meet fellow runners. Lots of running events during the spring/summer/fall, so many times there are water stations. Also, good amount of water fountains for hydrating.

Quote:
We think Lake Highlands is the part of Dallas that most likely suits us best. My husband has some concerns about crime though, and we're trying to get an idea of where to look and where to avoid.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
I've left my truck unlocked, the garage wide open, etc, etc. No issues, although I try not to do this stuff. We've lived here for only 16 months, but I am unaware of any of our neighbors that have had any issues. I have heard from the HOA that our subdivision's crime rate has cratered to near nothing since the demo of the property for the LHTC, as that basically leaves just home owners within walking distance of our properties. As I understand it, most property crime (the type that was more common here) is within walking distance of the people doing it - and is more likely to be done by folks in apartments -vs- people that own a home.

Check out our hoa's site for additional info on the area:

Merriman Park North - www.merrimanparknorth.org

Hope this info is useful. If you and your hubby are coming into town - I'd be happy to sit down with you to go over any questions. While you're here, you have to go to one of Lake Highlands hidden gems - Tony's. It's at Northwest Highway and Ferndale on the North-East corner, next door to Subway. The Stromboli Calzone is my personal favorite. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of their traditional italian food.

Brian

Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Wow! Thanks, Brian, for the great info! Merriman Park North is on the list!

Are there any other neighborhoods in LH that should also be high on our list?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM

If you get a real estate agent that knows LH, then tell them you like Merriman Park North, they'll know all the other subdivisions that are comparable. If you PM me, I'd be happy to give you my cell number if you have any other questions - I'm happy to help.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas