Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3 View Post
@BigDGeek - Trying the psychological angle as well. This time it's been OK and she's able to drive internal roads but goes awry when a vehicle comes in opposite direction. Working on it....hopefully some magic will happen in next 6 months.
Fingers crossed that she gets the help she needs to overcome her phobia, because it will greatly improve her QOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:23 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Coppell School district provides education for the town of Coppell and Irving in west Valley Ranch (zi 75063, west of MacArthur Blvd). It is one of the top districts in Texas and has a very strong representation of Asian Indians (nickname for Valley Ranch is "Bally Ranch")

Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM

27 posts, read 30,676 times
If your wife doesn't feel comfortable driving then try to find home near school and as your daughter is a sophomore, get her licensed so you have another driver in family. Many suburbs have public buses so find a place that's not too far from a bus stop. Your wife can use bus or call taxi or uber for emergencies. Kids can walk to school or take school bus if residence is more than a mile away from the school.

Plano, Coppell and Richardson have good schools and aren't too far from Dallas so if you need to go to work, you'll be covered. All three have Indian community and grocery stores. West Plano and Copprll are likely out of reach for a 5k/month salary so focus on central Plano near Spring Creek and Custer near Indo Bazar or look into Richardson near other Indo Bazar. Suburbs aren't really ideal for walking lifestyle but you can find spots that are relatively walkable to schools and grocery stores.

Last edited by H0mebuyer; 02-25-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 PM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
NJ and most of northeast is much easier if you cant drive or trying to learn to drive. Plano would be difficult if you cant drive or trying to learn to drive. I think the local roads in plano would be very hard to learn to drive for someone struggling so much. And the bus service in plano is poor. Coppell , i think the roads are a little easier. But NJ definitely would be easier on their local roads. And, better bus service in NJ.

CT has mostly one lane roads so very easy to learn to drive. And everyone is trying to sell their house so you could pick up a steal. LOL

Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 AM

21 posts, read 19,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0mebuyer View Post
If your wife doesn't feel comfortable driving then try to find home near school and as your daughter is a sophomore, get her licensed so you have another driver in family. Many suburbs have public buses so find a place that's not too far from a bus stop. Your wife can use bus or call taxi or uber for emergencies. Kids can walk to school or take school bus if residence is more than a mile away from the school.

Plano, Coppell and Richardson have good schools and aren't too far from Dallas so if you need to go to work, you'll be covered. All three have Indian community and grocery stores. West Plano and Copprll are likely out of reach for a 5k/month salary so focus on central Plano near Spring Creek and Custer near Indo Bazar or look into Richardson near other Indo Bazar. Suburbs aren't really ideal for walking lifestyle but you can find spots that are relatively walkable to schools and grocery stores.
Thanks for the suggestion. My 5k is after taxes and in hand. Don't think that's a bad salary

Old 02-27-2016, 08:32 AM

27 posts, read 30,676 times
Not at all. It's a decent salary. It's just that PWSH area homes are a bit pricy as they offer prestige, convenient lifestyle, good location, short commute to jobs/elite private schools and excellent public schools.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0mebuyer View Post
Not at all. It's a decent salary. It's just that PWSH area homes are a bit pricy as they offer prestige, convenient lifestyle, good location, short commute to jobs/elite private schools and excellent public schools.
Thanks again. Will work with my company for a raise. It's their thing anyway !

Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 PM

50 posts, read 69,710 times
I'm of Indian descent and scarred to this day by the pressure my parents put on me to excel in school, when it has little or nothing to do with how you end up doing in real life in America.

So if you are Indian and want to live near other Indians, I have no problem with that. But you can take your "my kids have to have the best schools" attitude and shove it up you know where.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post
I'm of Indian descent and scarred to this day by the pressure my parents put on me to excel in school, when it has little or nothing to do with how you end up doing in real life in America.

So if you are Indian and want to live near other Indians, I have no problem with that. But you can take your "my kids have to have the best schools" attitude and shove it up you know where.
Sorry things were tough for you but your conclusions are bogus. Education and doing well at it matters a lot in America. If the OP wants the best schools for his kids we should celebrate for this family not insult them.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post

I can understand your frustration as I was treated the same way by my parents. That does not mean I've to be the same with my kid. Till date my child has not gone for after school special classes or private coaching or any sort of training to increase her grades, yet she's in the top 5. We're happy what she is. I'm saving enough to manage her college fees and she's happy about it.

Seeing their children achieve success and being happy is every parent's dream. If you're a parent, you'll know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: