Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

My niece whois 8 lives in india and ,is going to stay with me for 3 months and i want to get her admitted into a US school so that she can get to know more about the country with kids her age .So any kind of information will be helpful ,like is it really possible and if so what all documents are required and what are the rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
That is a bizarre plan- and depending on what info is introduced at the various grade levels in India, could be a really discouraging process for her - ie, if they teach math in a different order in India than in the US, she will be confused and really behind her US classmates which may cause more frustration than the "cultural experience" you're seeking. This is an especially bad idea if she is arriving soon, as the end of the year focus is almost entirely on prepping for the state standardized tests.

If you want her to have a cultural experience and get to know American kids, sign her up for a soccer or softball team, and some extracurriculars like kids cooking school. Take her to the neighborhood park or swimming pool on the weekends or after school hours. Take her down to San Antonio for the weekend and show her the Alamo and bluebonnets, etc.

Your idea is rooted in good intentions but not very realistic.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
When is she arriving? Call your local elementary school and ask what documents you need. To start with, you need to be her legal guardian and provide court papers to prove it.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:40 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Some of the community recreation centers have daytime activities for homeschooled children. I suggest you look into those as possibilities for her to become introduced to other kids and enjoy a learning experience. I believe parking her into a public school will be frustrating for an 8 year old who is going to be leaving in 12 weeks. You might even research some home school groups and find out if there are some activities she might be able to join during her time here.

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/regional...homeschooling/

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Is she visiting with B1/B2? A school can decide to let her shadow a class. Shadow not participate.

Student Visa

Old 03-07-2016, 02:04 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
I think it depends greatly on where you live. For example, if you're in Plano where there are many Indian students, it will not be unusual for her to attend school for a few months. And the administration will be use to kids enrolling, un-enrolling and so on. In Sunnyvale, we had students attend school from August to Mid-October, then back to India from mid-October to January, then back to Texas until March, back to India for April, then back to Texas. Some of the high school students would take classes in India in Dec/Jan before returning back to the US. It's very common for all grade levels, due to the high tech employees when we lived in Redmond, WA. Good, bad, it is what it is. Keeping in mind, that it was the parents that were enrolling and un-enrolling their kids. Academically, your 8 year old niece will likely be ahead most of her 2nd or 3rd grade peers with regards to math as is most often the case with the international (EU and Asian) students. How is her English and writing?

I would take the time and start with the Independent School District office. Some of the elementary school staff may not be completely familiar with the process. You will likely need a legal document that give you "guardianship" over your niece, but I'm assuming you'll have to get that anyway since she may need medical care while she is in the country.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 AM

27 posts, read 28,352 times
I would suggest enrolling her in a summer program. You can't enroll her in a public school without legal guardianship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: