Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 PM

8,150 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to learn several years ago that although Irving ISD is not a highly rated school district that they have a high quality Special Education program. So, as I am certain you know, the highly performing school districts may not necessarily be the best ISD's for your needs. I think your interest in reaching out to other parents is a great idea. There may be private schools to be considered as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 04:40 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
You are misleading folks again like in the past to allure them to Grapevine instead of helping.The area you are talking is not in Flower Mound. Its in Grapevine and after the 2499 re-construction is complete, you are sounding as if the 'lots of cars' is a deal breaker for folks coming from FM. Do you have a comparative traffic counts Vs other highways in DFW to support your generalized statement?
I am referring to traffic heading south on 2499 and 121 from the areas to the north of Grapevine Mills Parkway in the morning, and the reverse in the evening. Admittedly, I don't get up that way very often since I know the traffic is bad and I try to avoid it during those times. When I was up there mid-January, 2499 at Grapevine Mills Parkway was still under construction. I'm not trying to steer anyone to Grapevine. I'm just pointing out that for a commute to the south end of DFW Airport, Flower Mound will be in heavy traffic, and it might not be the best area for them. Personally, I would appreciate that advice as a newcomer to the area.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I am referring to traffic heading south on 2499 and 121 from the areas to the north of Grapevine Mills Parkway in the morning, and the reverse in the evening. Admittedly, I don't get up that way very often since I know the traffic is bad and I try to avoid it during those times. When I was up there mid-January, 2499 at Grapevine Mills Parkway was still under construction. I'm not trying to steer anyone to Grapevine. I'm just pointing out that for a commute to the south end of DFW Airport, Flower Mound will be in heavy traffic, and it might not be the best area for them. Personally, I would appreciate that advice as a newcomer to the area.
So you think that traffic during peak time in rest of DFW is a breeze for majority of DFW commuters? If you don't know, please stop misleading. Here is the Link to TxDOT on the top congested segments in Texas that includes many segments in DFW. 2499 is not in the list.

Top Congested Roadways in Texas

For your latest reference, the Southbound main lanes were opened to traffic on January 11 bypassing the 2 lights on Grapevine mall. The Northbound main lanes will be opened to traffic by April 2016, weather permitting. The remaining pieces are anticipated to be complete by January 2017.

Last edited by adixyz; 03-09-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Autism Resources in the Metroplex

Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have a friend who is a school psychologist and I emailed her today. She sent me a lenghty email that I will copy and paste and send you directly thru the DM feature of City Data. I used to be an HR Director at a private special ed school on the East Coast, so I have a little insight to the value of finding the best match to the specific services for every student.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 PM

20 posts, read 30,286 times
Thanks all for the feedback!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:15 AM

216 posts, read 214,247 times
I used to work for the law firm that represented all these named school districts in special education due process hearings, so I have some insight that others do not have. Based on numbers alone, the most disputes from unhappy parents of special education students were coming from Lewisville ISD. By Far. The least? Carroll ISD. Both Grapevine and Coppell were somewhere in the middle. On a related note, if I had the money, I'd move to Carroll ISD in a heartbeat. I saw the inside of their administrative "think tank". They have their ish together! Take that for what it's worth.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM

213 posts, read 315,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
I used to work for the law firm that represented all these named school districts in special education due process hearings, so I have some insight that others do not have. Based on numbers alone, the most disputes from unhappy parents of special education students were coming from Lewisville ISD. By Far. The least? Carroll ISD. Both Grapevine and Coppell were somewhere in the middle. On a related note, if I had the money, I'd move to Carroll ISD in a heartbeat. I saw the inside of their administrative "think tank". They have their ish together! Take that for what it's worth.
Interesting. I'm curious if this number is relative to the number of special ed. kids in the district. I'm sure LISD has a much larger number of kids on IEP's overall than Carroll.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:53 AM

36 posts, read 65,316 times
I'll tell you flat out that you are better off buying a cheaper house in a safe area with low taxes.
Texas public schools are across the board the worst in the nation for special needs. Natives have NO idea. This is not meant to do insult anyone, but you'd have to be an outsider looking in to see the lack of funding and lack of services. You are much, much better off looking at private schools to meet his needs. There are several special needs private schools and for good reason, there's a huge need to an alternative to public. By the way, you will start the IEP process all over again

Old 05-06-2017, 06:57 AM

36 posts, read 65,316 times
Also, check out the Houston Chronicle's "Denied" series. Prepare to be horrified. I can't urge you enough to not buy at the top of your budget. If you can afford 800k, go for 600k, still a great price point and send your child to private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: