Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,273,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonupd View Post
Very Helpful. Yes I think I can live with small lot size. Just confused by the Net. My Brother bought his house on one weekend trip to Dallas and I haven't even been there. I did do my Military Training in San Antonio but I'm sure it doesn't compare to Dallas. We could go higher on the Price of the house but wife wants to pay mostly cash and have small mortgage. Southlake looks too expensive for us so maybe Flower Mound is the choice. I have friends building in McKinney and other friends in Plano. Of course they rave about where they are
San Antonio and Dallas are REALLY different.

Flower Mound does not have good access to the highways that connect to Plano and McKinney. McKinney is prob 45 minute drive and Plano about 30 minutes. Popular areas for relocatees but don't make sense if you are moving to live close to your family in FM. It's also a $5-10 round trip because of tolls. Plano's schools are excellent but McKinney ISD is not in the league of your current school district in NY. Compared to Flower Mound, your budget will get you less in Plano but more in McKinney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 28,325 times
If you are going through all the trouble to be near your family than stay in their neighborhood to make the most of it.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,552,692 times
Whoops sorry, I missed that your two kids were younger

Quote:
I'm a Radiologist so I read Xrays, CTs, and MRI from Home. I will maintain my State Licences in the states I work.
You are living my husband's dream (he's in training). Do keep in mind that the medical licensure process in Texas is a pain in the ass and takes awhile compared to other states--my husband just finished it and started months ago. If you are serious about moving, I'd start the process as soon as you know you are coming.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:01 AM

301 posts, read 570,539 times
Look at Double Oak. It borders Flower Mound, has a slightly lower tax rate, and feeds into schools in Flower Mound. We love it. We're getting ready to downsize due to our eldest graduating from HS this year. Our house is 3733 sf on an acre with a pool and will list at the low to mid 500's. There are houses that come up periodically that are similar and list anywhere from 500-600K. We couldn't find what we liked in FM when we were looking 5 years ago. Double Oak fit our needs and I'll miss it.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 AM

32 posts, read 34,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Whoops sorry, I missed that your two kids were younger

You are living my husband's dream (he's in training). Do keep in mind that the medical licensure process in Texas is a pain in the ass and takes awhile compared to other states--my husband just finished it and started months ago. If you are serious about moving, I'd start the process as soon as you know you are coming.
I don't have any contracts in Texas Currently so I don't need TX licence. I will probably apply anyway if I move out.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
Look at Double Oak. It borders Flower Mound, has a slightly lower tax rate, and feeds into schools in Flower Mound. We love it. We're getting ready to downsize due to our eldest graduating from HS this year. Our house is 3733 sf on an acre with a pool and will list at the low to mid 500's. There are houses that come up periodically that are similar and list anywhere from 500-600K. We couldn't find what we liked in FM when we were looking 5 years ago. Double Oak fit our needs and I'll miss it.
This sounds great would try and learn more. When do you plan to list?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,552,692 times
Double Oak would be nice--it is zoned to Marcus. While Flower Mound HS has slightly better scores, you would really be splitting hairs.

You might consider Argyle, too. It's a smaller district, but does have a strong reputation. You will find more homes in Argyle on larger lots.

Also sent you a PM.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:04 AM

I appreciate all the advice. I realize people take time out of the day to help others and allot of questions are asked over and over. But sometimes individual requirements are different as in my case as I don't need to commute.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM

52 posts, read 57,046 times
Why would you want to spend $600,000 on a house? What a waste.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,172,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking about texas View Post
Why would you want to spend $600,000 on a house? What a waste.
How is it a waste? OP wants a fairly large house with a pool and a little bit of land. Considering where his family is relocating to, $600k is probably the minimum it's going to take to get what he wants. If OP wants to spend that much (or more) it's his right to. He can certainly afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas