Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,370 times

Advertisements

It's not humid. I'm from Houston... that place is humid, so avoid that and you'll be fine. San Antonio and Austin are better places for you if you don't like humidity and you still like Texas. Dallas is only truly humid once a month tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times
I am originally from Corpus Christi and I do not find Dallas humid at all.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Due to the air flow from the south in much of the summer the gulf moisture makes it pretty humid. Dew points in North Texas are normally substantially higher than what is considered comfortable. I spent over forty years in Dallas and left for various reasons and very happy to be leaving the heat and humidity.
I agree; the dew point is the real killer because in reality, it is the dew point temperature that makes being outside as uncomfortable as it can be during the summer and not necessarily the relative humidity.

Say that the temperature were 95 degrees (truly not uncommon) and the humidity were 52% which is shown as the lowest all year as an average in the afternoon on the chart above. The heat index would be 107 degrees with a dew point of 75. Not pleasant, but I guess we're all different as to how it effects us. One poster said that Dallas is only truly humid once a month. That is definitely not a happening here.

Grant it, Houston is worse. I believe the weathermen in Dallas would agree that it can be and most always is brutally hot and humid. Last summer was the first halfway decent summer I can remember in over 30 years. Hey, when the humidity is up in the Spring and the temperature is 80 degrees, that's miserable too.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
As others have pointed out, it depends on who you talk to and what they are used to. I grew in the West Texas panhandle (Lubbock) and to me Dallas seems very humid a lot of the time. But again, Lubbock is considered a semi-arid climate. So I was accustomed to VERY dry air. From what I gather, Dallas is kinda "middle of the road" on humidity. (much worse than some places and a lot better than others.)

Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am actually from Western South Dakota, so it is not humid at all here and snow is actually rather rare. I would love to live in a bigger city, but it would have to be similar to where I am now- just warmer!

I'll keep Dallas in mind, but I'll do a little research on San Antonio, Austin, Albuquerque, and Denver. None of those cities are really ever humid either.

Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am actually from Western South Dakota, so it is not humid at all here and snow is actually rather rare. I would love to live in a bigger city, but it would have to be similar to where I am now- just warmer!

I'll keep Dallas in mind, but I'll do a little research on San Antonio, Austin, Albuquerque, and Denver. None of those cities are really ever humid either.

Thanks again!
San Antonio and Austin can be quite humid. Albuquerque and Denver would be delightful. I have a relative stationed in Denver and it can be quite cold, but I guess not in comparison with SD.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I grew up in Dallas and don't find it humid at all compared to Houston. Now Miami, DC, etc - to me are unbearable.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
Right now it's dry (imo) We moved into our house last summer and some of the moldings that were repainted have shrunk a little do to the cold and dryness that some of the paint on the joints have cracked. Not happy about this! Now I have to call the previous owner to find out the type/color of paint they used to match up for the fixing I have to do.

We moved from a very humid state and found Dallas to be much more bearable. Dallas is a lot hotter in the summer than where we were before (FL).

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 17,421 times
We lived in PLANO, Texas in 1977 when there was about 55,000 people and then in Sherman Tx in 05. I guess that we forgot about the horrid humidity and the traffic now in Plano is like L.A. Almost..And not to mention the big TEXAS welcome I got when we moved there. I was out in the yard and a red ant or spider or some bug bite me between my big toe. And to make a long story short.. Miserable, itching swelling, pus, couldn't walk for a week. We don't have any bugs compared to Texas that big, it was a daily affair until we had sprayed. And to the person who said that Sherman was out in the middle of nowhere, well pick your poison, Dallas, Mc kinney, Allen, Sherman wherever, it is just not California!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 17,421 times
It doesn't RAIN very much you stated in TEXAS. Where were you in the spring/summer of 2006? Flooding, torrential rains, people died , come on it pours in Texas. i am happy for all you Texans that love your state, and even those who move in there, for houses, jobs, whatever, but it is not for the climate and the bugs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas