Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 17,791 times

Advertisements

I would love to have feedback specifically on the wait list at Greenhill. My son was wait listed there, rejected at St. marks, and accepted to Parish. Applying to 5th btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 28,151 times
Very superior FSIQ (score 130+) and waitlisted. Any chance to get off waitlist at Greenhill or Hockaday for kindergarten?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholarTexas View Post
Happy this is over. This was not a fun process. Dallas definitely needs more private schools. If anyone is wondering if waitlists move, I found a great article that discusses how the list opens up even after the accept by date because financial aid is awarded later. Not sure how true this still is but it's something to keep in mind. If anyone is coming by looking to see if some schools straight out reject, the answer is yes. Do not be surprised. I prefer a school to have a meaningful waitlist vs a polite no rejection policy. The word "declined"" did burn me a little though. We did not apply for credit.
Rejection stinks, but honestly I agree the waitlist might be worse. The schools are pretty sophisticated at this point in terms of their yield. You need to keep a reasonable wait list to make sure there are no vacancies but there's no reason to give out false hope. And we are right there with you having endured the rejection so I feel your pain. The upside of it is that it gives you the ability to objectively consider your other options. So long as your top choice is still in play, it is impossible to know how you actually feel about your other options because they always pale in comparison to #1. For us, we realized how much we had been overlooking some of the positives of the school where our kids will be next year. Best of luck.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 PM

128 posts, read 231,584 times
Heard Hockaday admitted only 3 kids at the kindergarten level this year.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbigby View Post
I would love to have feedback specifically on the wait list at Greenhill. My son was wait listed there, rejected at St. marks, and accepted to Parish. Applying to 5th btw.
I know someone who got in from the waitlist, but that was for preK and I don't know any other details. I know rejection sucks but your son can get a great education at Parish and their college placements are outstanding. It will come as little solace, but your child is in a better place than many.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:25 PM

128 posts, read 231,584 times
Yes, I also heard someone in a similar situation to you aprilbigby. Rejected at St. Marks and waitlisted at Greenhill and they got in to Greenhill.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholarTexas View Post
Happy this is over. This was not a fun process. Dallas definitely needs more private schools. If anyone is wondering if waitlists move, I found a great article that discusses how the list opens up even after the accept by date because financial aid is awarded later. Not sure how true this still is but it's something to keep in mind. If anyone is coming by looking to see if some schools straight out reject, the answer is yes. Do not be surprised. I prefer a school to have a meaningful waitlist vs a polite no rejection policy. The word "declined"" did burn me a little though. We did not apply for credit.
I agree with you, "declined" should be not be used.

I think they all reject a good number of kids one way or another. My daughter's good friend applied to Ursuline a few years ago - UA as gently as possible sent the application and fee back as the girl really had no chance for admission. I'll verify these numbers Monday but according to two sources who should know what they are talking about Jesuit had roughly 900 applications for something less than 275 spots for 2017. Assuming that's accurate or close it would be absurd to have a wait list several hundred boys long. Apparently JCP's wait list is roughly 40 deep and most of them will get in.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 PM

44 posts, read 73,311 times
Several boys. All at non entry point years. (I know, what were we thinking?)
Accepted to our top choice Catholic parish school (from another Dallas Catholic parish school that just wasn't working for us).
Wait listed at our second choice Catholic parish school.
One son wait listed at St. Mark's for a non-entry point year. 99%th percentile on CATS but I never thought for a minute it was a sure thing at St. Mark's even with that score! We are disappointed but not at all surprised. The deck is just totally stacked against you in a non-entry point year.
Good luck to all!
LC

Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 16,201 times
If I had to bet, I would say the Greenhill waitlist will move. They had quite a few boys applying out in addition to the spots they create for 5th. If those applying out had any luck, Greenhill may have a few more spots than the usual. Parents I know at Parish can not be happier. If a tad of religion is ok for you, it is a great option. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilbigby View Post

Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 PM

36 posts, read 74,392 times
A good article on the Hockaday admissions process. It is from 2012, but worth reading.

Inside Hocka-Admissions – The Fourcast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: