Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 AM

10 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Just curious where in MA you are moving from? I don't know it anyone has told you but don't forget that town boundaries are not synonymous with school districts like in MA. You can have a Plano address for example, and be zoned to Frisco ISD instead of Plano ISD (nothing wrong with Frisco ISD, just an example). One thing to remember is that property in Texas are usually about 3 percent of your assessed value, give or take a few percentage points. An $800K house could run you about $24,000 annually. Most of the high schools in DFW are MASSIVE compared to western Ma. The best of DFW is on par with the best of MA, imo. Another positive is that the northern suburbs are a smorgasbord of the US. You'll meet people from all over the world. I read somewhere that places like Frisco, Flower Mound, etc. are only about 40 percent native Texan, so I wouldn't worry about the religion thing too much. If you were in some small East Texas town 100 miles or so outside Dallas that might be a different story. One great thing about Texas, particularly DFW, is that the affluent suburbs are very diverse compared to MA.

We are coming from Longmeadow, which while postcard perfect beautiful with great schools, does lack a bit in terms of diversity and things to do, so we are looking forward to a bit of both in a larger metro area. (Longmeadow is a suburb of Springfield seemingly populated mostly by Bay State doctors who drive older european cars, hence my earlier commentary. The snob factor is as real here as supposedly in Southlake, just of a different style.)

Property taxes should be comparable- Longmeadow is high for Mass, but still nothing compared to central CT, Long Island, NJ, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,755,044 times
OP I am going to send you a DM. I grew up across the river from Longmeadow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas