Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:41 PM

37 posts, read 80,340 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any suggestions of summer programs for my son who will be going into 8th grade this fall. He is a high honor student who dreams of being a neurosurgeon. I'm having a hard time finding any summer programs for him at this age with this interest - there is so much technology/stem out there, but I can't find anything medical/life science focused.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 04:00 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
UTSW has a program - STARS Science Camps - UT Southwestern
So does UTD. https://www.utdallas.edu/summercamps/

Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM

pepper131,
You're awesome! I just sent the application to UTSW with transripts and report card. I'm just waiting for his teacher to send the recommendation letter by April 1st.
Thank you. :-)

Old 03-30-2016, 07:32 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichanga99 View Post
I'm looking for any suggestions of summer programs for my son who will be going into 8th grade this fall. He is a high honor student who dreams of being a neurosurgeon. I'm having a hard time finding any summer programs for him at this age with this interest - there is so much technology/stem out there, but I can't find anything medical/life science focused.

Thank you in advance.
Small world. My son is an MS-3 at UTSW who has more or less made up his mind to apply for neurosurgery residencies only.
I don't know anything about the UTSW or UTD summer camps for kids but each program looks impressive.

Just in case you haven't yet, at some point make sure your son understands the path to becoming a neurosurgeon.

4 years college
4 years medical school
7 years neurosurgery residency (PGY 1-7)
2-4 years Ph.D. + fellowship. Quite often neurosurgery hopefuls earn a Ph.D. along the way (1-2 years often after the second year of medical school or just after medical school). UTSW has a formal MD+Ph.D. program in which students attend the first 2 years of pre-clinical medical school, then earn their Ph.D. and then complete the final 2 years of medical school. Also many neurosurgeons complete surgical fellowships (1-2 years sometimes more).

The thinking is that having a Ph.D. and an MD makes one more attractive for neurosurgery residency matches - which of course are hyper-competative.

Don't let anyone tell your son he can't do it. He can.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 PM

Congratulations ESD_ for having such a talented child. My sister in law is a cardiologist from UCLA with and MD, Ph.D. and fellowship. It's a lot of years.
Hopefully my son will be as talented. He's at RICE middle school and wants to go to medical school. For now it's too early to tell if he'll go that path.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM

73 posts, read 112,033 times
If the UTSW thing doesn't work out, Club Scientific Dallas has an Emergency Medicine camp. They also have Emergency Vet in case your son might be interested in animal medicine in addition to people medicine. These camps run ages 9-13 and are run incredibly well: https://www.clubscikidzdallas.com/

I put my nephews in them a few summers ago (specifically in Video Game Maker and Deep Space) and I was extremely impressed with not only the lower cost in comparison to other similar programs, but the level of parental engagement. We ended up going somewhere different the next couple of summers based on our boys' varying interests, but I'd absolutely recommend the ClubSci camps to anyone.

Editing to add that I noticed Parish Episcopal has a camp called Pass the Scalpel that focuses on dissections and how those correlate to human medicine. I don't have any personal experience with Parish beyond admiring their educational ethos from a distance, and this camp specifically is new for summer 2016, but it does kinda fit what your son is into and might be worth a look and/or a call for more information: http://www.parishepiscopal.org/page.cfm?p=2341

Last edited by loveandcoffee; 03-31-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-31-2016, 11:26 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Quote:
Small world. My son is an MS-3 at UTSW who has more or less made up his mind to apply for neurosurgery residencies only.
Best of luck to him. I have a few friends married to neurosurgeons (in and out of training). It's a tough specialty.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM

Thank you loveandcoffee. I couldn't find Emergency Medicine but found Emergency Vet at Club Scientific Dallas. Seems very cool. My child will enjoy it.
I know Tracie Roman from the Parish Pass the Scalpel summer camp. I'll check with her.
Thanks!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:11 PM

205 posts, read 279,234 times
In case the summer camp thing doesn't work out, all I know is that as an 8th grader, my friends and I spent our entire summer watching TV and videogames and playing outside and we're all physicians

Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM

73 posts, read 112,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pichanga99 View Post
Thank you loveandcoffee. I couldn't find Emergency Medicine but found Emergency Vet at Club Scientific Dallas. Seems very cool. My child will enjoy it.
I know Tracie Roman from the Parish Pass the Scalpel summer camp. I'll check with her.
Thanks!

Sorry you couldn't find Emergency Medicine, maybe they've discontinued it for this summer? My youngest nephew was interested in the Vet one, but I put him into Deep Space because it was more geared to his particular interests of building things and blowing them up...and because I wasn't really keen on my insatiably curious barely eight year old trying to experiment with our lazy dog at home! But yay, you know the person leading the Parish camp, that's awesome. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas