Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 28,180 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help! We currently live in south Florida we have been here for the last 3 years, but originally from Brooklyn New York! As much as we love the heat and beauty of Florida. It does lack a few things we are looking for. After extensive research I have came across Plano Texas it seems it has everything we would be looking for. I am looking for great schools i have a 7 year old and a 6 month old. So schools that are great and offer advanced classes is a top priority (My son is in advanced classes now) and my 6 month old will eventually go to school too. We are in our late 20's early 30's and have had no luck meeting people our age. No offense to anyone but it is 75% retirees here and we are looking for a place that has our age group and family friendly Neighborhoods. We both own several business so the job market isn't a worry because we can work from home and expand our businesses. I also have a Masters in teaching so might look into that! Things that we are looking for: age range between late 20's to late 30's, great schools, we will be renting first, weather does not bother us, although I would love some seasonal change but it's not a big deal, things to do for kids, things to do for us (we love dining out, movies, shopping, shows etc). Family friendly neighborhoods with children, overall where we would be accepted as part of the community. And no I don't miss NYC and won't compare it to where I live. One thing I would say is maybe a Russian community near by? Thank you for any help, advice or opinions! Also my daughter is sick so good doctors would be really great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 PM

65 posts, read 84,475 times
If your biggest concern is education then I would say definitely move to Plano, I have several friends who love Florida but finally moved out because they want better education for their kids.

Be prepared the house price in Plano may be a little more expensive and not as cute as those Caribbean style houses in Florida. When you say weather doesn't bother you, keep in mind that the hotness in Florida is completely different than the hotness in Dallas, here is dry heat.

For things you mentioned in the post, you'll easily find them in Plano, and don't worry about the diversity, Plano is a very diversified suburbs with people coming from different cultures/countries of origins/races. I'm sure you'll find some small Russian community there too.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 PM

374 posts, read 549,208 times
For about a total of ten years I lived in various South Fl towns: Boca, Stuart, Miramar, and Boynton Beach. I felt so young living in South Florida! Now I feel like an old hag!! LOL.

You'll be happy here I'm sure. But I really miss eating at restaurants with ocean views. Eating out here?? A guaranteed highway/high traffic road view. Sigh...

But overall, the culture is GREAT here! A great place to raise a family. Texans are great people. But I'm biased b/c I was born and raised here! Plano ISD is very highly rated.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,410,675 times
If you concentrate on the SW portion of Plano ISD, you will be close to an area popular among those with Russian heritage.
There's a European deli around there as well as a traditional banya also used for social events during holidays. I seem to recall the banya spa/restaurant changed hands recently but not positive about that.

Expect to pay the same or more for housing here without the benefit of the geography/climate.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:07 AM

254 posts, read 434,018 times
We moved here from Southwest Florida last year (Fort Myers) and don't regret it at all.

We're like you. Young 30s. Young kids. Wanted better schools than what we had offered in FL. We landed in Flower Mound and love it. There are parks everywhere around here. Things for kids (and adults) to do. It was weird going out to eat and not seeing 80% retirees, lol.

I'm sure Plano will be just as good for you, but I don't know enough about that area.

Oh, and the summer here was a breeze (pun intended) compared to Fort Myers. :-)

Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,991 times
Plano certainly has the good school, but it isn't the only area of DFW that offers a family-friendly environment and excellent public schools. Grapevine/Colleyville and Flower Mound are two popular choices as well. Since you aren't limited by commute, I'd look around.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,108,329 times
What is your budget for a home? The areas of Plano where you will find other late 20's-30 yr olds is going to be primarily central and east Plano, as most of west Plano is fairly affluent and homes are much more expensive. For most of west Plano, your budget would need to be $500k and higher, and most people that can afford that tend to be in their late 30's on up.

I'd also recommend Frisco and McKinney. The schools are not as highly rated as Plano but there are multiple neighborhoods that would give you the type of community you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 AM

19 posts, read 28,180 times
Thank you everyone for the advice/opinions/information! I have looked at all the areas and did my "extensive" research online and love all areas mentioned! Grapevine looks amazing especially during the Christmas time!! Something Florida lacks here, in my personal opinion no one really celebrates holidays here, which is sad. I looked up schools (amazing!!), searched for stores we shop in which Texas has more than enough to offer! Malls, things to do with kids, hockey rinks which is awesome my fiancée plays and wants to go back on a league. Sports for my 7 year old, nightlife for us which from what we saw would be Dallas on rare occasions, and overall it looks beautiful(from what we saw on Google) but basically everything we need those towns have to offer and way more! I just have a few more questions that would be hard to goggle and get concrete answers too:
How are the doctors/hospitals in those areas?
Is there seasonal change? Or is it just hot?
How is the market there? Is it blooming or like in Florida every shopping place you go to it is virtually empty and buisnenesses are shut down?

Reason I am amazing is because my daughter is pretty sick, so doctors here well let's just say I can be a better doctor by reading Google and no one seems to help her. I love seasons, more the summer, spring and fall I very well could do without winter but it isn't a problem. As someone who grew up having Christmas in the cold it's hard to adjust to palm tree Christmas. And since we both own several business a place that has thriving business will be a lot better for us! Thank you all so much for the information. Marina.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:26 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,410,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina89 View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice/opinions/information! I have looked at all the areas and did my "extensive" research online and love all areas mentioned! Grapevine looks amazing especially during the Christmas time!! Something Florida lacks here, in my personal opinion no one really celebrates holidays here, which is sad. I looked up schools (amazing!!), searched for stores we shop in which Texas has more than enough to offer! Malls, things to do with kids, hockey rinks which is awesome my fiancée plays and wants to go back on a league. Sports for my 7 year old, nightlife for us which from what we saw would be Dallas on rare occasions, and overall it looks beautiful(from what we saw on Google) but basically everything we need those towns have to offer and way more! I just have a few more questions that would be hard to goggle and get concrete answers too:
How are the doctors/hospitals in those areas?
Is there seasonal change? Or is it just hot?
How is the market there? Is it blooming or like in Florida every shopping place you go to it is virtually empty and buisnenesses are shut down?

Reason I am amazing is because my daughter is pretty sick, so doctors here well let's just say I can be a better doctor by reading Google and no one seems to help her. I love seasons, more the summer, spring and fall I very well could do without winter but it isn't a problem. As someone who grew up having Christmas in the cold it's hard to adjust to palm tree Christmas. And since we both own several business a place that has thriving business will be a lot better for us! Thank you all so much for the information. Marina.
The consumer market is healthy here and growing with all of the transplants from the west coast.
The medical facilities will also likely work out well for you. Look up medical city and childrens medical center of plano.
We do have more of a seasonal change here than florida but this year was especially mild. I didn't have to break out my winter gear at all. I have been pleasantly surprised by snow a few days in previous years but not enough to build any serious snowmen army or forts Still, there are quite a few events that go on in the various communities around the holidays so it's festive even if you don't have to wear a coat.
regarding weather, we are in the plains so it does get very windy quite often and the heat does nto dissipate during the night like it does in florida.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
Despite all the hype from places like Boston, DFW medical care is unrivaled.

A colleague got deathly ill on a business trip and both he and his doctor believe he got superior care at a satellite hospital here (Baylor Grapevine) than he would have at [insert name brand Boston-area hospital here].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas