Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:09 PM

24 posts, read 38,506 times

Advertisements

Well here's the first of many questions I will have:
Northern Dallas-areas, such as Frisco, Plano, McKinney, have already come very highly recommended from friends. I understand they are all very family-friendly; boast highly-regard public schools, amenities, etc.
I know McKinney has a charming historic downtown, but I'm not familiar enough whether it also boasts equally charming historic neighborhoods. I know there has been a ton of development in those cities and there are a lot of newly-built homes.
But me? I prefer historic homes (big white farmhouses, grand brick colonials, gingerbread Victorians, even mid-century mods) and we absolutely want a big lot (one acre at the least.)
Can a person find a) historic neighborhoods anywhere around those cities? b) Are large lots available, or will we need to push deeper into rural areas for that?

Thanks in advance for your kind input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:40 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaB View Post
Well here's the first of many questions I will have:
Northern Dallas-areas, such as Frisco, Plano, McKinney, have already come very highly recommended from friends. I understand they are all very family-friendly; boast highly-regard public schools, amenities, etc.
I know McKinney has a charming historic downtown, but I'm not familiar enough whether it also boasts equally charming historic neighborhoods. I know there has been a ton of development in those cities and there are a lot of newly-built homes.
But me? I prefer historic homes (big white farmhouses, grand brick colonials, gingerbread Victorians, even mid-century mods) and we absolutely want a big lot (one acre at the least.)
Can a person find a) historic neighborhoods anywhere around those cities? b) Are large lots available, or will we need to push deeper into rural areas for that?

Thanks in advance for your kind input.
Lot size will be an issue, but McKinney does have Victorians in historic neighborhoods. Look near the old square area, very charming! Frisco, not sure. When I was growing up in Dallas, Frisco was a farming community. Mid-century mods are mostly in Dallas and close in suburbs.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:46 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
How much money are you willing to spend?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It all depends on your budget.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
McKinney does have quite a few older homes, and some of them are on large lots around the downtown area.

Plano, there are a few historic homes remaining, some of them have been turned into businesses, and others are protected/owned by the city of Plano and are not for sale.

McKinney would be your best bet to find what you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 AM

164 posts, read 252,562 times
If you're willing to consider mid-century mods as you say, add Richardson to your list. I live in a classic MCM-style house in the 75080 zip code. Most of this area was built out between about 1955-1970. In my neighborhood it's a mix but a good chunk of the MCM-style houes have embraced it and played to it in their landscaping, house numbers, interior decorating, etc.

You would have to compromise on the lot-size however. You may be better off with a custom-build if you have the budget for it as historical homes and big lots do not generally go together in this area.

However one place just popped into my head - it's probably totally off your radar and may not work for your other needs - but you may check out Waxahachie. It has some beautiful and historic homes on big lots just to the North and West of central Waxahachie. Again - may not be the right place for you but it's at least a thought given your desire for a large lot and the style of home.

Last edited by LookingInRichardson; 04-01-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
1 acre lots are NOT common in DFW- even in the historic neighborhoods, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything over 1/2 acre with 1/4-1/3 being the most common lot sizes. You may have to go out to more rural towns to get that size lot, and then your significantly increasing commute times and most likely compromising on school quality.

McKinney does have a large collection of gorgeous historic homes in the neighborhood surrounding the historic square. Grapevine is a mid-cities suburb near DFW airport that also has a big historic district. Also, many Dallas neighborhoods have beautiful historic homes and also good schools, but tend to be very expensive. Because most of DFW was built after WWII - and really in the last 30 years when you include the suburbs- there are far fewer historic homes here than on the east coast and other older US cities.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Very expensive means north of $800,000 at a minimum. For ex, Highland Park, a city enclosed by Dallas, would start at over $1 million for a SFH, as far as I know.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Based on your questions in other fora, you have yet to settle on a city for your relocation. Most of the others would offer more of what you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
There was an old, rambling house in Preston Hollow (Dallas neighborhood) on an acre. It sold for well over $1Million as a tear down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas