Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 PM

167 posts, read 331,815 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with Highland vs Southlake schools with respect to academics and IV league college placements? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 06:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
This is the second or third time I have seen them referred to as "IV" instead of Ivy on these boards. Is this the same person or is there some subset of people who think that IV is correct?

The answer to the question is HP

Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 PM

Sorry, it must be the autocorrect on my iPhone. Can you elaborate more on your reasoning why you think HP schools are superior to Caroll schools? Your experience and advice is appreciated.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
Southlake schools are vastly superior in athletics and academics to anything the Park Cities or Dallas Elite private schools could even hope to match. Couple that with big beautiful lots in Southlake, superior shopping and activities to do around town, I don't think there is anything in Texas that could match Southlake. Maybe Plano east would be a close second.

See how ridiculous that sounds? Is this what you were looking for? This has to be a troll post...

Because you are a park cities resident, who has in the past said, and I quote "Go Highland Park! Continues to be the best public school district in the DFW area!"

Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 AM

205 posts, read 279,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDoctor77 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Highland vs Southlake schools with respect to academics and IV league college placements? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ivy leagues schools aren't the only good colleges around

Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Honestly, if you're gunning for Ivy League admissions, Plano ISD and St Mark's have much better placement rates than Southlake or HP.

That said, a tip-top student at HP or Southlake would have a decent shot at Ivy admissions (and student do get accepted each year), but at least in HP the student culture tends to be a better fit for the elite Southern universities like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Duke, UVA, UNC, etc. It's not uncommon for T10 grads from HP to pick UT Business Honors or Plan II programs so they can go to college with their camp friends and follow the family legacy into PiPhi-Kappa-Theta or SAE-Fiji-SigEp while also getting an outstanding education.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
I dont think either one would inherently give you an advantage over the other. I remember when i was applying to college (long ago!) the ivies all said that for highly qualified applicants in good high schools, your stiffest competition is often your classmates who apply to the same school. I suspect thst is still true and I think both schools will have competitive candidates for ivies and other top schools that typically offer only a few admissions (if any) at any given high school.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 AM

It would be helpful to look at actual statistics of how many students from a given high school, be it HP, Southlake, Plano, Hockaday, St. Marks, etc get into the various top schools. I remember seeing something about just the Valedictorian and Saledictorian in the past, but more comprehensive stats would be useful.

While I agree that the local schools are good, I feel that if the student has more of a national/global scope, he or she may benefit from an IVY league education in terms of networking, etc.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDoctor77 View Post
It would be helpful to look at actual statistics of how many students from a given high school, be it HP, Southlake, Plano, Hockaday, St. Marks, etc get into the various top schools. I remember seeing something about just the Valedictorian and Saledictorian in the past, but more comprehensive stats would be useful.

While I agree that the local schools are good, I feel that if the student has more of a national/global scope, he or she may benefit from an IVY league education in terms of networking, etc.
It's not a question of being #1 or #2 in your class. My wife had one of the smartest and hardest working students she's ever had get rejected at Harvard (he was valedictorian), only to have a classmate accepted who was still top 5% in the class but clearly less academically prepared. The difference being the classmate was Hispanic and an athlete - and I have no idea which mattered more. The valedictorian went to Dartmouth, so my point is not to make him some sort of a sob story, nor was the Harvard admit a dumb kid who couldn't cut it there - he has probably done just fine at Harvard. My point is that by the time you get to acceptances at the Ivies, you're talking about such a tiny number of people that it's impossible to necessarily draw conclusions about a school from the admits vs the unique things each applicant has going for him/her. It's just too small a sample size.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
It's not a question of being #1 or #2 in your class. My wife had one of the smartest and hardest working students she's ever had get rejected at Harvard (he was valedictorian), only to have a classmate accepted who was still top 5% in the class but clearly less academically prepared. The difference being the classmate was Hispanic and an athlete - and I have no idea which mattered more. The valedictorian went to Dartmouth, so my point is not to make him some sort of a sob story, nor was the Harvard admit a dumb kid who couldn't cut it there - he has probably done just fine at Harvard. My point is that by the time you get to acceptances at the Ivies, you're talking about such a tiny number of people that it's impossible to necessarily draw conclusions about a school from the admits vs the unique things each applicant has going for him/her. It's just too small a sample size.
^^Yes, all that.

In addition, although HPISD has better metrics than Carroll (or any other ISD in Texas), the main reason both districts score so well is due to the demographics. The differences to "your" kid (whoever "you" are) from attending one vs. the other are likely de minimis.

The more important issue is which area is a better "fit" for a student and their family. Southlake is suburban and "newer", Park Cities is more urban (although very upscale urban) and "older". Anyone who's driven through either can get a feel for each. Although Southlake is affluent, HP is more affluenter (sorry, I just had to do that).

My guess would be that the "comfort level" for a student at either will be more important in allowing them to excel than the minor differences in student achievement. And HP vs. Carroll for ISD is definitely a "such problems one should have" issue.

And all that said, again, as numbersguy (love that name) points out, when you're talking Ivies, getting into any specific one is a crapshoot. In addition, getting into ANY Ivy means one is on track to do very well in life. If one "only" gets into...I dunno, Penn or Brown instead of Harvard or Yale, the world ain't gonna end. Heck, there's an awful lot of people out there living in Park Cities or Southlake who never came within shouting distance of an Ivy.

tl:dr - Carroll puts up good numbers, HP puts up better, but the differences aren't very large and probably mean nothing re: getting into Ivy League quality schools, so which area do you feel more comfortable living in, because that's likely more important than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas