Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The best way I could describe the difference between Plano and Murphy is that Plano has grown about as large as it's going to get. Murphy start sprouting about 6 years ago and now it's growing like a weed. Plano is not going to change will Murphy will be totally different (more like Plano) in 5 years.

Grainraiser
Like a wildflower. It's growing like a wildflower - not a weed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,878 times
The only thing I heard different was that the movie theatre wont be going up. Residents protested it saying that it would bring a lot of "commotion".

Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM

41 posts, read 188,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSlaney View Post
DART rail is off Int 75 & only a 34 minute commute to downtown Dallas.
While that may be true, depending on where you board, you have to factor in the drive/traffic time just to get to the rail station. That can easily be another 30+ minutes, especially from McKinney.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,736 times
We moved to Plano. Some of the "new house" areas in Murphy, Sachse, etc seemed nice but we did just live in 2 brand new houses in the last 5 years. New houses in new areas seemed like a good idea at the time, but we got sooooo sick of hearing "oh, it's going to get a Barnes and Noble next year" or in "in a few years, it should be getting some really nice shops". We wanted a neighborhood that was developed enough that the infrastructure is in place NOW. If I want a shop, Plano has it. It's so centrally located that if Frisco, Mckinney, Sachse, etc gets something new and cool in a year or two, it'll only take me 15-25 minutes to get there.

I've lived in San Diego, LA, San Francisco, London, and Austin, and prefer Plano to all except maybe San Diego (my hometown). Frisco seems nice. I didn't much like the Firewheel area except the mall itself, and am not a fan of Richardson although many people seem to like it fine. It reminds me of the Wilshire District of LA and that's not a compliment. Can't comment on Sachse or McKinney, because I haven't had reason to go there for anything yet. Would like to see McKinney.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
Just found out this weekend that my company is relocating to Dallas. We've just discovered this forum and after having seriously considered a home in Rowlett, we are so happy to have read [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/momof2dfw-7627.html"][SIZE=5]momof2dfw[/SIZE][/URL]'s post first. We appreciate the honesty.
We are moving from San Antonio, a relatively small big city so we're understandably nervous.

We are wondering about diversity, schools, commutes to downtown and Richardson, as well as crime in the Murphy/Wylie/McKinney area (we've crossed Rowlett off our list). We are strong supporters of dual-language instruction and intentionally speak two languages to our young children. We want a community that welcomes new-comers.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
If you are moving downtown with AT&T I would suggest Lipscomb Elementary in Junius Heights Historic District in East Dallas/Lakewood - search for posts.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Having spoke to one of Murphy's finest just this morning, I'll mention that crime in Murphy is almost non-existent. We get some DUIs thru here, there was a lady who left her toddler in her car and there's the occasional theft of copper from construction sites.

Crime watch is active and National Night Out is a big deal (we were 22 in the country and 2nd in the state in our category last year - we're aiming for 1st in Texas and Top 10 nationwide this year).

The D Magazine Top 10 suburbs to live just came out and we were #7. And got a mention regarding our diversity, including a shout-out for the Ethiopian market on the main corner in town. The town has quadrupled since 2000 so there's a lot of folks from somewhere else - across the metroplex, state, country and world. One of the principals was saying that she has 40 nations represented at her school.

City of Murphy, Texas - About Our Community (http://www.murphytx.org/community/about.asp - broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 AM

43 posts, read 121,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relo2BigD View Post
Just found out this weekend that my company is relocating to Dallas. We've just discovered this forum and after having seriously considered a home in Rowlett, we are so happy to have read [SIZE=5]momof2dfw[/SIZE]'s post first. We appreciate the honesty.
We are moving from San Antonio, a relatively small big city so we're understandably nervous.

We are wondering about diversity, schools, commutes to downtown and Richardson, as well as crime in the Murphy/Wylie/McKinney area (we've crossed Rowlett off our list). We are strong supporters of dual-language instruction and intentionally speak two languages to our young children. We want a community that welcomes new-comers.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Tibbals Elementary in Murhphy, but in Wylie ISD offers a dual-language program. Also the new elementary school Whitt, which is actually in Sachse, will also offer the program starting next year.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 AM

For the OP - In Murphy, Tibbals serves the Maxwell Creek, Gables and Ranch areas. The new school, Whitt, will serve the part of town south of 544, including the acreage lots and the Murphy Farms subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas