Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM

6 posts, read 18,305 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from Orange County Cailifornia to Dallas and we are flying out this week to do a home search. We have narrowed our choices to the Plano, Murphy area. I would welcome any thoughts/advice on this choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
There are a lot of threads on the same topic... the search feature will help you narrow it down.

Murphy is a great place to live, close to the action but still quiet.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 PM

116 posts, read 447,919 times
Smile OC to Texas!

I just assisted a family from OC and are moving to MCKinney at end of month. They searched on the web (so many deals)and so many suburbs! What is your lifestyle, school needs & work location?
Once this OC couple saw many older parts of the City from Forney to Carrollton and then saw Plano (shops of Legacy) Frisco & Allen they knew that was the right area. DART rail is off Int 75 & only a 34 minute commute to downtown Dallas. They found a wonderful new home in McKinney with all "Bells & Whistles" in exemp schools!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,249,908 times
Plano is much larger than Murphy. Plano is also pretty much built out so you will pay more for a house vs. Murphy. Plano has lots and lots of shopping and dining choices. Murphy still has the small town feel but is growing. They are building a super Target and a large movie theater very close to downtown.

A part of Murphy feeds into Plano's school district and the other half into Wylie.

You may want to check Allen.

Where will you be commuting to? that would help in recommending other areas as well. What budget do you want to stay within?

Naima

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 151,385 times
I highly recommend Allen. It's just north of Plano, and just south of McKinney. Great public schools, convenient to so many things. When we moved here from the midwest our #1 criteria was that the area had to have really strong schools. #2--Resale--because we're always moving. In fact, we've only been here a year, and we just put our house on the market, because now we're off to Seattle! For more on why Allen, please visit: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...der-allen.html

Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
You should probably visit all three-Plano, Allen and Murphy. I personally prefer Plano and Allen over Murphy, but that's just my preference. Someone else may feel differently. Kinda depends on what you are looking for.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
What about Frisco? I hear its the new California.
Amazing what can happen to cow pastures in just 10 years.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,553 times
I moved to TX last November and brought a house in Murphy. I was initally going to move to Frisco. This is a great area but be prepared to live there for awhile. There are new houses going up all the time and its somewhat more difficult to sell an older home.
We also looked into Plano which also a very nice area. We went with Murphy because the lot sizes are a little bigger and the taxes are somewhat lower than PLano. For our needs, Murphy was the choice.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 11,203 times
As a Realtor in the area, I can tell you that the differences from Plano to Murphy are extensive. Plano is much more established and stable in their growth and infrastructure, while Murphy is experienceing a tremendous amount of growth, which means you can expect the growing pains as the infrastructure strains to keep up with the influx.
Some important considerations for you will be:
Commute time to your workplace
Housing budget
Children in school?
Recreation priorities?
Murphy is much more rural and further from downtown Dallas.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
Murphy isn't rural. These days the closest you get to the city motto of "The Best of Country Living" is when someone put cows on the corner of the main thoroughfare in town. (Murphy Rd & 544). It was such a novelty that it was the talk of the town for weeks.

And getting downtown from Murphy isn't going to be any worse than any part of Plano. While Murphy is still going through some growing pains, Plano's established growth means that most paths through town are pretty high traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas