Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

I own a small (1300 sq. ft.), very nice, house in a neighborhood that is slowly becoming McMansionized. At the moment there are still some house sales that are not teardown-rebuilds, but I would say they are the minority. Most are torn down and replaced with 3-4000 sq. ft. houses. The lots are 7500 sq. ft.

I am not interested in selling my house. By the way, it's DISD, so I think that has had a slowing effect on the speed of McMansionization.

Has anyone any insight into what it's like living in a (very nice) small house in an increasingly McMansionized area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
No experience with this, but out of curiosity, where is this neighborhood? I was just surprised to hear that it is DISD, because it feels like, even though there is a lot of growth happening in Dallas proper, most of the families and McMansions are still moving to the north.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
No experience with this, but out of curiosity, where is this neighborhood? I was just surprised to hear that it is DISD, because it feels like, even though there is a lot of growth happening in Dallas proper, most of the families and McMansions are still moving to the north.
I'd bet the OP is using the term McMansion when others might not. Most teardown activity in Dallas involves relatively expensive land and business issues demand the new home be large and expensive.

We have a lot of teardown activity near us. These are not what people in Plano would generally call a McMansion. Instead these are $1.75-$3.5 million awesome homes. The OP may be talking about homes that are less than the ones around us but he's not talking about cheap boxy tract homes either, at least I'd doubt it.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd bet the OP is using the term McMansion when others might not. Most teardown activity in Dallas involves relatively expensive land and business issues demand the new home be large and expensive.

We have a lot of teardown activity near us. These are not what people in Plano would generally call a McMansion. Instead these are $1.75-$3.5 million awesome homes. The OP may be talking about homes that are less than the ones around us but he's not talking about cheap boxy tract homes either, at least I'd doubt it.
Well, if he's in some parts of East Dallas he may be talking about $600k-900k cheap boxy tract McMansions because there are some god-awful ones plaguing Lakewood Heights (south of Mockingbird between Skillman and Abrams), Vickery Place (north of Henderson Ave), and the blocks of Cochran Heights (south of Henderson) and the M Streets that aren't in the conservation overlay blocks. Believe I've seen some east of the Lake, too. And in Midway Hollow. Tract builders like David Weekly are doing a lot of the building.

Pull up MLS and you'll find them. It's a shame. At least the newest ones going up in Vickery Place are Craftsman Style so they aren't least in the style of the original homes....not sure about the builder reputation or quality though.

For OP- the biggest direct impact you'll see is less sunlight in your yard should your home end up with McMansions on all 3 sides. During construction there will be noise and lots of truck traffic, as well as critters (rats are most common) who are displaced from their previous "homes." And the value of your home will basically become lot value unless it looks like brand new construction on the inside- flip side, your lot value will increase because many buyers desire living in a new construction neighbodhood, even if the homes are devoid of any soul.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
There are entire city blocks being mowed down in Dallas and replaced with Frisco-esque tract homes. You can see down the street in both of the MLS postings.
948 Shadyside Ln, Dallas, TX 75223 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M75922-99483

Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well, if he's in some parts of East Dallas he may be talking about $600k-900k cheap boxy tract McMansions because there are some god-awful ones plaguing Lakewood Heights (south of Mockingbird between Skillman and Abrams), Vickery Place (north of Henderson Ave), and the blocks of Cochran Heights (south of Henderson) and the M Streets that aren't in the conservation overlay blocks. Believe I've seen some east of the Lake, too. And in Midway Hollow. Tract builders like David Weekly are doing a lot of the building.

Pull up MLS and you'll find them. It's a shame. At least the newest ones going up in Vickery Place are Craftsman Style so they aren't least in the style of the original homes....not sure about the builder reputation or quality though.

For OP- the biggest direct impact you'll see is less sunlight in your yard should your home end up with McMansions on all 3 sides. During construction there will be noise and lots of truck traffic, as well as critters (rats are most common) who are displaced from their previous "homes." And the value of your home will basically become lot value unless it looks like brand new construction on the inside- flip side, your lot value will increase because many buyers desire living in a new construction neighbodhood, even if the homes are devoid of any soul.
On the plus side, you don't have to do anything to the house to sell it if someone's just going to tear it down anyway! No worries about inconvenient showing times either, since nobody cares what the inside looks like.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There are entire city blocks being mowed down in Dallas and replaced with Frisco-esque tract homes. You can see down the street in both of the MLS postings.
948 Shadyside Ln, Dallas, TX 75223 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

5614 Longview St, Dallas, TX 75206 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Maybe my working definition of McMansion is off. I wouldn't consider a ~3,100sqft home on a zero-lot line (or close) a McMansion.

To me a McMansion is one of the builders like Perry, who used to build what were almost cube shaped 4,500-6,000sqft homes on small lots in Plano and Frisco.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Maybe my working definition of McMansion is off. I wouldn't consider a ~3,100sqft home on a zero-lot line (or close) a McMansion.

To me a McMansion is one of the builders like Perry, who used to build what were almost cube shaped 4,500-6,000sqft homes on small lots in Plano and Frisco.

Well, speaking of cubes, there are plenty of those being built in Highland Park, to maximize the space inside. Looking at the new construction around Armstrong, probably well built, but don't get me started on the over the top faux french look. Many of the old houses looked way better, and didn't take 99% of the lot space.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:26 AM

274 posts, read 855,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
On the plus side, you don't have to do anything to the house to sell it if someone's just going to tear it down anyway! No worries about inconvenient showing times either, since nobody cares what the inside looks like.
This! I live on one of those streets in East Dallas that is being monopolized by massive McMansion-y homes, and every single place that's been sold on my block has sold for lot value. Moving soon, thank god- pretty soon, the only view from my backyard will be three story brick walls. I also know someone in Preston Hollow who lives in a modest, older ranch home who plans to sell for lot value in the next couple of years- they haven't put a penny into their home recently other than to keep it from falling down around them.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, speaking of cubes, there are plenty of those being built in Highland Park, to maximize the space inside. Looking at the new construction around Armstrong, probably well built, but don't get me started on the over the top faux french look. Many of the old houses looked way better, and didn't take 99% of the lot space.
I'm with you some of the tear downs in HP look ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas