Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
In Colorado, utilities run deep underground to avoid freezing, not so here. I am not sure how they will connect up a sewer line from basement bath here.

People keep stuff in attic and some keep them in garage (and then complain when their outside car gets broken into).
Sounds like we'd end up keeping the holiday decorations in the attic, might be good motivation to declutter more too. There are SO many boxes in our basement that haven't been opened in 6-10 years. It would be a shame if some of them got "lost in the move", coincidentally at the same time boxes show up at the donation center.

Are car break ins more or less common in gated communities? I'm wondering if the gates are a deterrent or incentive for thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 PM

645 posts, read 835,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
That's the tricky part. I'd be 100% telecommute with my current job. There's a corporate office in Irving, but I'd like to stay with my current department. If things change, it would be to switch to a different company.

That's just me though. My wife works for Social Security, so she can transfer to a field office anywhere. It would be easy for me to get another job, but she wouldn't be able to transfer to another field office easily once she's in the area. So if we picked McKinney as an example, is there a healthy market for developer jobs in that area in case I need to switch?

My wife wouldn't need to switch, because even though she works hard, it's the government. You could get away with murder there and STILL get promoted.

McKinney, not much! Richardson is a better option. Further away from Dallas you go, the duller it would get. Even if you end up with a job in Dallas, its doable as far as driving goes from Richardson. McKinney to downtown is like going to Mars!

I forgot to mention Addison. That has a lot of companies too.

Richardson is more or conveniently located.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM

215 posts, read 151,588 times
Thanks for the info. It helps me too.
I am looking to move out from Chicago.

How does the greenery look in Texas Suburbs compared to Chicago Suburbs viz Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, etc. I heard its not that pretty in TX. Is that right?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Don't know why you would want to leave Chicago! I have been to Hoffman Estates.... way better than Arlington.

Beauty? What beauty? Scenery is as drab as it can be. Concrete is all you will see.

Ladies are a different thing though. But I guess Chicago has its own fair share of beauty!

Last edited by hell_storm2004; 07-21-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM

What about schools?
Property Taxes?
Overall Illinois Economy?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
Thanks for the info. It helps me too.
I am looking to move out from Chicago.

How does the greenery look in Texas Suburbs compared to Chicago Suburbs viz Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Vernon Hills, etc. I heard its not that pretty in TX. Is that right?
When I visited last August, I was surprised at how many trees and bushes I saw. They all appeared to be planted though, I didn't see one wooded area. So by and large, it's more brown and sparsely vegetated there. The grass also looks like AstroTurf, not the lush Kentucky Bluegrass styles like we have here.

So it's definitely not ugly there, but if you want it to look exactly like a BG or VH, you'll be disappointed. If you go there and appreciate the beauty by its own standards, you won't be. Richardson "felt like" Arlington Heights, and Fort Worth "felt like" Waukegan. Not from a scenery perspective, but from a general vibe if that makes sense.

And you're right on about the financial solvency of Illinois. It sounds like we both live in the north shore suburbs of Chicago, with some of the highest property taxes in the entire country. The overall tax burden is lower in Texas. They also don't have a looming pension problem that will only drive taxes higher (since the IL courts already ruled that they can't reduce or tax pensions, so that money will be drawn from IL residents).

So Texas is a good choice.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM

Frisco, Plano, Richardson, Southlake are names I see popping up every now and then. I don't have kids, so this area i am not an expert.

Taxes are currently very high.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:22 AM

22 posts, read 21,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
When I visited last August, I was surprised at how many trees and bushes I saw. They all appeared to be planted though, I didn't see one wooded area. So by and large, it's more brown and sparsely vegetated there. The grass also looks like AstroTurf, not the lush Kentucky Bluegrass styles like we have here.

So it's definitely not ugly there, but if you want it to look exactly like a BG or VH, you'll be disappointed. If you go there and appreciate the beauty by its own standards, you won't be. Richardson "felt like" Arlington Heights, and Fort Worth "felt like" Waukegan. Not from a scenery perspective, but from a general vibe if that makes sense.

And you're right on about the financial solvency of Illinois. It sounds like we both live in the north shore suburbs of Chicago, with some of the highest property taxes in the entire country. The overall tax burden is lower in Texas. They also don't have a looming pension problem that will only drive taxes higher (since the IL courts already ruled that they can't reduce or tax pensions, so that money will be drawn from IL residents).

So Texas is a good choice.
Wife's family migrated from libertyville six years ago. Dallas is the land of the concrete. Closest county / natural landscape is now hour northwest. Plano is north east of Dallas, as are most of the cities you mentioned. If you want highly population density go north east. You want more natural scenery go north west (flowermound, Corinth, Denton, argyle) suburbs of ft worth (Southlake, Keller, cleburn, burleson) I personally prefer north west cities to north east ones due to lower density and traffic congestion. Frisco and Plano feel like the biggest cities in the county based on square miles covered.

Don't rent, buy! Rentals here are nutty right now and you'll pay $400-$500 more per month for garbage. The only good SFH rentals here are from friends and word of mouth and those are gone in 48 hours.

Most software developers I know work remotely so you could live anywhere. If your serious about growing in your field might want to consider Austin. Otherwise Dallas offers a multitude of solid options all over.

One last thing: if you're commuting your drive will definitely increase. 15 min commute here now is unheard of. Expect AT LEAST 35 min. Just want to help you set the proper expectations if your moving here. Dallas road infrastructure is the worst. It was built for ma and pa farmers and it now supports one of the largest cities in the country.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsby View Post
Wife's family migrated from libertyville six years ago. Dallas is the land of the concrete. Closest county / natural landscape is now hour northwest. Plano is north east of Dallas, as are most of the cities you mentioned. If you want highly population density go north east. You want more natural scenery go north west (flowermound, Corinth, Denton, argyle) suburbs of ft worth (Southlake, Keller, cleburn, burleson) I personally prefer north west cities to north east ones due to lower density and traffic congestion. Frisco and Plano feel like the biggest cities in the county based on square miles covered.

Don't rent, buy! Rentals here are nutty right now and you'll pay $400-$500 more per month for garbage. The only good SFH rentals here are from friends and word of mouth and those are gone in 48 hours.

Most software developers I know work remotely so you could live anywhere. If your serious about growing in your field might want to consider Austin. Otherwise Dallas offers a multitude of solid options all over.

One last thing: if you're commuting your drive will definitely increase. 15 min commute here now is unheard of. Expect AT LEAST 35 min. Just want to help you set the proper expectations if your moving here. Dallas road infrastructure is the worst. It was built for ma and pa farmers and it now supports one of the largest cities in the country.
Are you saying Austin has more IT Jobs (Development) than Dallas? I don't want to live in City. I prefer suburb. But I might be getting a Job in DT, so I need to factor in commute.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsby View Post

Good to know, thanks!

When I was looking at rentals last year (just to get a feel for those), each one had a deposit check sitting on the counter. If it were around here, I'd say that was a tactic to fabricate demand. There? I think it's real.

We could engineer a 15 minute commute as long as there's a social security field office nearby, like Denton, McKinney, etc. My job would be remote, but in case things don't work out, I'd like us to go somewhere where there'd be a high concentration of developer jobs. That way I wouldn't feel like "settling" for a low-paying/bad work environment job just because it was the only close job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas