Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 02:13 PM
teb teb started this thread

83 posts, read 103,437 times

Advertisements

I got a traffic ticket in Plano and am thinking of going to court to try and beat it. What do you think my chances are? Have you ever beat a traffic ticket in Plano?

Some cities are impossible and am just wondering if plano is such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:13 PM

188 posts, read 230,658 times
I beat one in Farmers Branch and one in Allen. Both times the officer was present.
You really need to have some evidence to counter the officer's facts. Opinions are thrown out during trial.
If the officer is not present be prepared to have it re-scheduled.
If you plan to have a jury trial be prepared to lose and pay the state maximum for the fine as the judge will certainly raise the fine. But if you're like me and certain you were right you should have no problem convincing the judge/jury the officer was a fraud.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Why fight it? Just do deferred adjudication. Costs less, and is pretty much guaranteed. Traffic court is rarely worth it unless you really want the moral victory at the cost of time and money.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teb View Post
I got a traffic ticket in Plano and am thinking of going to court to try and beat it. What do you think my chances are? Have you ever beat a traffic ticket in Plano?

Some cities are impossible and am just wondering if plano is such a place.
A friend of a friend is a police officer in Plano. He always shows up to traffic court (he says he never loses) and he told me that Plano police officers are punished if they fail to appear without a VERY good reason.

I get the impression that Plano cops put up a pretty vigorous defense when it comes to traffic tickets. I think you should listen to LegalEagle and do deferred adjudication. It's just easier.

Best of luck.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Take defensive driving before going the deferred adjudication route. Save that option for in case you get another ticket before the two years wait to retake has happened. Deferred adjudication usually says if you violate any law its revoked. Jay Walking would be a violation. Lawyers who have advised me put the rank in the order I provided you.

I have lived in Plano for 5 years plus and other locations like Houston etc. After getting a ticket in Houston and one in Dallas when not living up here, I got ads from traffic lawyers by mail by the dozen. I got none of these after the Plano ticket which tells me it may be hard to beat the Plano ticket.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 AM

246 posts, read 416,178 times
I recently got a speeding ticket in Plano (1st time ever) and I took the defensive driving course instead of deferred disposition for the same reason Johnhw2 mentioned above.

The court fee came to $114 and the Defensive driving course costed me $25. I will also need to get a certified driving record for $12. The good thing is the citation will not show up on my driving records after I provide evidence to the court (on DSC completion).

However you will not be eligible for Defensive driving course if you have

1) Taken the course in the past 12 months
2) your speed was 25MPH above the posted speed limit
3) you were citated for speeding in a wok/School zone

Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 PM

270 posts, read 703,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobr View Post
I recently got a speeding ticket in Plano (1st time ever) and I took the defensive driving course instead of deferred disposition for the same reason Johnhw2 mentioned above.

The court fee came to $114 and the Defensive driving course costed me $25. I will also need to get a certified driving record for $12. The good thing is the citation will not show up on my driving records after I provide evidence to the court (on DSC completion).

However you will not be eligible for Defensive driving course if you have

1) Taken the course in the past 12 months
2) your speed was 25MPH above the posted speed limit
3) you were citated for speeding in a wok/School zone
How does the course and the certificate work? I'll be moving to Plano this summer and want to know some info to protect myself. Here in So Florida, we have the ticket clinic where you can call in after receiving the ticket. They will ask questions about the ticket and give you a price to have it resolved (no record nor driving school).

Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM

287 posts, read 517,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
How does the course and the certificate work? I'll be moving to Plano this summer and want to know some info to protect myself. Here in So Florida, we have the ticket clinic where you can call in after receiving the ticket. They will ask questions about the ticket and give you a price to have it resolved (no record nor driving school).
This link should help you:
https://www.plano.gov/371/Driving-Safety-Course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: