Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 03:35 PM

23 posts, read 36,673 times

Advertisements

My husband job is relocating him to downtown Dallas. We are just about set on buying a home in Frisco. Could anyone help us out with what the average utilty costs would be for a 2,500- 3000 square foot home? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 PM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmylife View Post
My husband job is relocating him to downtown Dallas. We are just about set on buying a home in Frisco. Could anyone help us out with what the average utilty costs would be for a 2,500- 3000 square foot home? Thanks
what is the zip code? (can use this to determine if electricity provider is de-regulated, so you can shop the rate and save 50%).

Is home all electric, or is nat. gas avail?

pool?

Age of home or any utility/insul updates (to determine how efficient?)

costs can vary from $100/mo ave to $400/mo ave, depending on all this stuff.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:17 PM

100 posts, read 187,324 times
We have a 3,000sqft home up here, gas furnace and water heaters, electric for everything else.

We use Coserve, so our gas and electric come on one bill

In the winter our bill averages $100 - $140 a month

In the spring $90 - $130

At the height of the summer $200 - $250

The highest bill we've ever got was $275, I think we ran both AC's almost every minute we were home that month.

The house is 12 years old, windows aren't that great, but we do our best to keep it maintained.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 AM

13 posts, read 19,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
We have a 3,000sqft home up here, gas furnace and water heaters, electric for everything else.

We use Coserve, so our gas and electric come on one bill

In the winter our bill averages $100 - $140 a month

In the spring $90 - $130

At the height of the summer $200 - $250

The highest bill we've ever got was $275, I think we ran both AC's almost every minute we were home that month.

The house is 12 years old, windows aren't that great, but we do our best to keep it maintained.

I use Coserve as well and my last March bill was $110 and I live in a small 820 sq apartment.
I ran AC only few times last month and it was less than an hour each time, not sure why my bill was so high.

I just moved to Plano from CA so this was very shocking to me and hoping it not a normal....

Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackodaniel View Post
I use Coserve as well and my last March bill was $110 and I live in a small 820 sq apartment.
I ran AC only few times last month and it was less than an hour each time, not sure why my bill was so high.

I just moved to Plano from CA so this was very shocking to me and hoping it not a normal....
That was typical of when I lived in an apartment in Frisco a few years ago. Most of the apartments aren't really energy efficient, and depending on which way it faces, that can affect your bill too. The only windows in mine faced south, so I got sun most of the day.

Also is the thermostat programmable? Mine wasn't, and unless I remembered to adjust the temperature while I was gone at work (I usually didn't), then my bill would be quite high. So something to keep in mind as summer approaches.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 PM

100 posts, read 187,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackodaniel View Post

Not unheard of, we had the same thing in our apartment before buying our house!

1. The water heater being electric is a killer

2. Apartment windows are insanely bad, I've yet to see an apartment with good high quality Windows outside of High cost luxury ones

3. The AC units in most apartments seem to be the least efficient things imaginable.

It's not right that a 3000sqft home with 2 AC's should cost less than a 800sqft apt.

The recommendation on a programmable thermostat is legit. One of the first things we did when moving into our house was install Wifi thermostats. We program them, but if we ever leave them on a hold pattern the app reminds us and we can change the temp from the phone. Plus Coserv gave us $100 off our bill for installing them.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 AM

23 posts, read 36,673 times
Thanks for the info! I realize that there are many variables that are involved in figuring out what the cost would be. Just wanted an idea. We have a 2000 square foot home here in Michigan and we pay $288 per month year round!!!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
I have a 3100sf home with a two-story living room. My average electric bill in the winter is like $80 to $90. Highest spikes are usually July and August at around $450 - $500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: