Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM

23 posts, read 36,680 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to Frisco, TX from Michigan. Trying to choose an area with a great high school. Does anyone know about Centennial High School? My husband has a co worker who is also moving to Frisco. She visited all the high schools and was told by the Dean of Centennial that the school has a drug problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM

371 posts, read 553,835 times
No offense - but schools don't have deans and I seriously doubt any senior administrator in a school would admit to a drug problem in the school.

From what I know, Centennial is a perfectly good high school (though Liberty is probably the best high school in Frisco).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmylife View Post
Planning on moving to Frisco, TX from Michigan. Trying to choose an area with a great high school. Does anyone know about Centennial High School? My husband has a co worker who is also moving to Frisco. She visited all the high schools and was told by the Dean of Centennial that the school has a drug problem. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Old 04-19-2016, 04:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I'm sure some Frisco residents will chime in, but I will just say that you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY high school in the US that's in an affluent area like Frisco that doesn't have a drug problem. Keep the lines of communication open with your kids, know the signs of drug use, and know their friends...you can't shelter them but you can be an involved and caring parent.

A kid who wants to try/do drugs is going to find them, whether they are rampant at school or not. A kid who has no interest is not going to get mixed up in that. I have two close college friends who went to Plano in the 1990's when a bunch of kids overdosed on heroin. Even though the school was called "Heroin High", my two friends never saw heroin or even knew the kids who died. They just ran in completely different circles.

What drugs did the admin mention, out of curiosity? While they're all bad, there is obviously a difference between pot and OxyContin or heroin...

Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
No offense - but schools don't have deans and I seriously doubt any senior administrator in a school would admit to a drug problem in the school.

From what I know, Centennial is a perfectly good high school (though Liberty is probably the best high school in Frisco).
Haha clearly not a genuine poster. Good job Bay!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Haha clearly not a genuine poster. Good job Bay!
Maybe they meant bug problem. Texas has a lot of big nasty-looking crawly critters.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 PM

66 posts, read 76,782 times
Google search has some news and this survey, doesn't say which year but according to it 20% FISD students self reported alcohol use and 12% substance use. I would double it for ones who didn't report or seek help, that brings alcohol use to 40% and substance use to 24%, that's pretty much in line with national statistics.

http://www.friscoisd.org/docs/defaul...v.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
I'm not sure why drug issues and being a top performing school in a wealthy district are mutually exclusive descriptions of the school. There are tons of drug issues at wealthy, competitive high schools. This is true in suburbs of Dallas and anywhere else (including HP - especially HP). Not sure how it is at the private schools around here but in the northeast where I grew up, the day students were not usually as into drugs as the boarders at the elite schools, but it was still a big issue.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I'm not sure why drug issues and being a top performing school in a wealthy district are mutually exclusive descriptions of the school. There are tons of drug issues at wealthy, competitive high schools. This is true in suburbs of Dallas and anywhere else (including HP - especially HP). Not sure how it is at the private schools around here but in the northeast where I grew up, the day students were not usually as into drugs as the boarders at the elite schools, but it was still a big issue.
It was "big" in private schools as well, at least 10 years ago it was. Doubt it's made a drastic change.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 AM

23 posts, read 36,680 times
Thanks for the feedback. I understand that most high schools in America have student that experiment with drugs. Just wanted to know if it was more than the average and if I should avoid looking at houses in the area. Being that I am so far away, I thought I would ask those in the local area to advise me.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

371 posts, read 553,835 times
I would say it's no more or no less than any other high school in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmylife View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I understand that most high schools in America have student that experiment with drugs. Just wanted to know if it was more than the average and if I should avoid looking at houses in the area. Being that I am so far away, I thought I would ask those in the local area to advise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas