Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 PM

27 posts, read 31,032 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility of moving to Dallas for work. I will be taking a sports medicine/orthopedic surgery job out of PA school which I currently live in CT for, with one office on the Dallas/Plano border and the other in Frisco. I'm 27, single, originally from Phoenix. I was in Plano yesterday for the interview and to visit. I stayed in the legacy area which I really enjoyed, toured Frisco as well. Would living in that general area of the legacy shops be a good place for myself, being young and single? Or are there other areas in reasonable distance to where I would be working that would better suite me? I'm an avid cyclist, mountain and road to take into consideration. Thanks

Last edited by T2091; 04-24-2016 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 08:22 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times
I agree with your gut feeling - Shops at Legacy area is probably going to be your best bet.

Being honest, it's "good", but not "great" for your demographic. This thread will likely attract some plugs for other areas that are "hotter" for the 20-something single demographic.

I still think Legacy trumps those for 2 reasons:

1) Short commute - especially if you end up working out of both offices. You can hit the hot spots on the weekend, if needed.
2) Off-road biking access - You'll be within short driving range of multiple off-road biking areas. (Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association)

Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 PM

27 posts, read 31,032 times
G,

Thank you for the information. I'm not really super into the club scene anymore so it's not at the top of my list. Been there done that way too much.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 PM

468 posts, read 476,231 times
Anyone still left in CT??

Old 04-25-2016, 10:54 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2091 View Post
Would living in that general area of the legacy shops be a good place for myself, being young and single? Or are there other areas in reasonable distance to where I would be working that would better suite me? I'm an avid cyclist, mountain and road to take into consideration. Thanks
The best areas in Dallas-Fort Worth for young single professionals is anywhere south of I-635 and especially south of Northwest Highway (Loop 12) -- Uptown, Lower Greenville, East Dallas, Design District, Downtown, Deep Ellum, etc. While it's true the club scene is abundant in this area, it can be easily avoided. There are a lot of laid back bars here. It does a great job catering to both scenes. The best places for hilly scenery are in southwest Dallas County -- Cedar Ridge Preserve, Joe Pool Lake, Mountain Creek Lake area. There's also an extensive trail system within the city of Dallas. White Rock Lake is also a popular spot. The major downside of these areas would be the commute to work, but the long commute may actually be worth it. Let me fill you in about Plano/Frisco.

Plano & Frisco are family-centric, suburban suburbia on steroids. Repeat that a few times to let it sink in for you. The Shops at Legacy is a tiny little island of youth (barely) surrounded by "family, suburban suburbia." Again, repeat that several times. Lots of SUVs with banners that say "My Kid is an Honors Student at Plano West." It's a great place if you want to pick up a cougar soccer mom on her big night out on the town. But in all honesty if you're under 30 and single, I would advise against living in Plano. The natural scenery is generally flat and will eventually disappear within the next year as more and more homogenous McMansion subdivisions get built.

A slightly better option in that general area would be somewhere in Addison, which is a little south of Plano and also not too bad of a commute to there or Frisco. It's a little bit closer to the Dallas hotspots than Shops at Legacy. I would still only recommend that if you value a short commute only. It's definitely not a Mecca for young single professionals.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
I would also agree with Addison. There are more young people, and less families, and plenty of things to do and places to go. It's still a decent commute to both of your offices, so you won't be spending too much time on the car.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 PM

100 posts, read 135,350 times
shops at legacy is definitely not for young professionals. just go and check out a couple of bars which have locations in Shops and Dallas. you will know what i mean. there are a lot of laid back bars in dallas which do not have crazy party scene. I work in West Plano and hang out with my colleagues in Shops after work. but most of them still prefer living in Dallas.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM

190 posts, read 288,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2091 View Post
I'm an avid cyclist, mountain and road to take into consideration
You're going to be really really disappointed with the terrain here.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifofifo View Post
You're going to be really really disappointed with the terrain here.
There is an off-road trail in Frisco and a smaller one in Plano. The DORBA website has all of the DFW trails listed. Sure, there aren't any mountains or really any impressive hills around here, but there are off-road trails. Also, road cycling is really big in the area. There are cycling clubs/groups in most of the larger suburbs. My husband rides with 2 groups just in Frisco. He also does rides on his own.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The best areas in Dallas-Fort Worth for young single professionals is anywhere south of I-635 and especially south of Northwest Highway (Loop 12) -- Uptown, Lower Greenville, East Dallas, Design District, Downtown, Deep Ellum, etc. While it's true the club scene is abundant in this area, it can be easily avoided. There are a lot of laid back bars here. It does a great job catering to both scenes. The best places for hilly scenery are in southwest Dallas County -- Cedar Ridge Preserve, Joe Pool Lake, Mountain Creek Lake area. There's also an extensive trail system within the city of Dallas. White Rock Lake is also a popular spot. The major downside of these areas would be the commute to work, but the long commute may actually be worth it. Let me fill you in about Plano/Frisco.

Plano & Frisco are family-centric, suburban suburbia on steroids. Repeat that a few times to let it sink in for you. The Shops at Legacy is a tiny little island of youth (barely) surrounded by "family, suburban suburbia." Again, repeat that several times. Lots of SUVs with banners that say "My Kid is an Honors Student at Plano West." It's a great place if you want to pick up a cougar soccer mom on her big night out on the town. But in all honesty if you're under 30 and single, I would advise against living in Plano. The natural scenery is generally flat and will eventually disappear within the next year as more and more homogenous McMansion subdivisions get built.

A slightly better option in that general area would be somewhere in Addison, which is a little south of Plano and also not too bad of a commute to there or Frisco. It's a little bit closer to the Dallas hotspots than Shops at Legacy. I would still only recommend that if you value a short commute only. It's definitely not a Mecca for young single professionals.
Completely agree with this post. I've always found the shop of legacy to get stale real fast, and it tries too hard to be trendy. It is ok once in awhile, but you'll find more people around 40's or up trying to reclaim their glory days of being in their 20's. Lots of married or divorced parents from Frisco and Plano going out.

The Dallas areas mentioned are great and really cater more to those in your 20's and low 30's. Much more young professional types. When you get to mid 30's (my age), Uptown area is still great but some places will feel too young. I live in the Addison area and its a good mix of young, middle age, and less family oriented. Plus, your about halfway from the shops and halfway to Uptown area. Supposedly, in a few areas a new area called Midtown just north of 635 will be a planned community with bars, restaurants, etc., will be developed.

Downside as mentioned will be traffic the further you get away from Plano/Frisco area, and it is only going to get worse as more and more big companies relocate to the Dallas Tollway and 121 area. Just depends on what your threshold is for driving to work or how far you want to go to visit areas with people more your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas