U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 20,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepster View Post
Be careful and do all your homework. Robson Ranch sits in the middle of a wellfield for natural gas. There are 7 designated well sites in or adjacent to the residential community. No one on the sales staff will bother to tell you about this until you fall in love with the community and are ready to sign a contract to purchase.

Before purchasing, make sure you understand the potential impact on the quality of life (as well as the environment) that gas drilling/servicing operations may have. We did not purchase there for these reasons, otherwise loved the community and the people!
The number will be 20 and it's stilling growing. I salute you for having the foresight of the upcoming nightmare many residents will have to bear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM

34,698 posts, read 54,535,147 times
drilling IS temporary--it might be very disruptive while it happens depending on the location and regulations regarding noise abatement--Robson Ranch is unencorporatede land--that means county commissioners vs city council oversight--and railroad commission rules regarding drilling...

the long term disruption comes from a compression station or some other site that is permanent and above ground--compression stations on natural gas pipelines distribution systems are noisy and unsightly and have the potential for environmental hazards...
I would worry more about something like that constructed near my home/neighborhood than a drilling rig...

and with the number of rigs dropping weekly--I wonder how many of these they are drilling within the next 3 months...this could be very long-term planning and that could change depending on the wells' returns

Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,249 times
We have lived here for four years and love it. Yes, there are rules that you must abide by and that is one of the reasons we moved here. Of course, every year, some people try to change the rules to allow their grandchildren to swim in the indoor and outdoor pools. Sorry, but we didn't sign up for that. We don't want to share the pool with screaming grandkids. However, there is a nice children's pool next to the adult pool that they can use. Some grandparents still try to sneak their little darlings into the adult pool, but they usually get busted and are asked to leave. (Some people out here think they are special and rules don't apply to them.)

Also, if you like to park your cars on the street or in the driveways overnight, you won't like it here, because that is against the rules. Of course, if you have overnight guests, they can park in the driveway, but the homeowner must put a GUEST magnetic sign of the vehichle. Robson Ranch gives those to the homeowners.

Yes, when you put money down on a lot, you can not get it back if you back out. You know that going in to process. Even if your spouse passes away and you change your mind, you still forfit it. I asked that very question before we signed the paperwork.

Gas drilling doesn't bother us, because we are in the "no drill" zone of Robson Ranch.

The building stage can be very frustrating, but we got everything worked out. The Design Center personnel were very nice, but woefully inadequate as far as knowing their business. That was four years ago, so maybe it has improved.

Your best bet is to look at resale homes. You don't have to worry about landscaping, etc. And it is a buyers market.

We like the square in downtown Denton. Very quaint and a safe place to walk around and shop or have a bite to eat. Denton has two major Universities, University of North Texas and Texas Women's University. The music program at UNT is one of the best in the country and we ofter go there for entertainment.

Good luck.

Last edited by 1940 model; 05-31-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 20,606 times
We've been here over two years and are very disappointed; "1940 Model" may love it, but we HATE IT. Like being a Monday morning quarterback; if we knew what we know now, Robson would not have gotten our money, nor would we have moved here. I know first hand of other residents that have the same point of view.

The comment about rules are rules is a joke. Example, the scenario of parking cars in driveways overnight is a farce. There are homeowners who have their own cars parked (no sticker) in the driveway overnight with the approval of the HOA. If you do for one, you should do for all. This is a situation where rules can be and have been bended. First of all, I believe that some restrictions to certain guidelines need to be amended. The original rules were formed by a select group and even though there were good intentions, some of the restrictions need to be reconsidered. The rules for parking cars in driveways needs to be more lenient. It would appear that the intention for the current rules was to avoid having campers, boats, trailer, RV's, etc. parked in the driveway. Another inconsistency regarding overnight parking is the restriction of parking in the streets overnight; however, RV's may be parked for 48 hours. One point the rules say no parking in streets overnight (a safety feature for emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, etc.), then a contradiction allowing these large vehicles to park in the street.

The subject regarding down payments supporting Robson's policies is ludicrous. Although refunds should not be given on a whim; there should be extenuating circumstances to allow refunds, most importantly due to the death of one of the purchasers. Robson should be a little more flexible and considerate, instead of being heartless.

Oh..."Gas drilling doesn't bother us, because we are in the "no drill" zone of Robson Ranch."
How selfish. There are many factors to gas drilling that affects those homeowners that have to live with the onslaught of greedy people. The uncertainty of how many times Encana can go back and re-drill is haunting, and experiencing 24/7 operations. Also, there are reports coming out that the drilling operations are causing serious environmental issues. Contact the Mayor of (nearby) Dish, TX and he would be more than willing to provide all the information.

The buying and building stages were not a pleasure dealing with Robson.
Not to bore anyone regarding the building/maintenance issues, I must say that Robson is in jeopardy of real estate fraud. The bottom line here is that I experienced a disturbing trend in the selling process by Robson where, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell attitude." First, the salesman did not volunteer information about gas drilling, nor provide all the proposed locations (which had been filed with Denton's P&Z Commission many years prior); second, no mention of a ballpark being constructed; and third, certain commercial property was misrepresented at time of closing. Of course this wasn't known until after the dreaded sale.

Seeing so many existing homes for sale indicate that Robson Ranch is not 'the place to live'...
For those seeking to build a home, I do not recommend Robson Ranch.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM

17,593 posts, read 23,366,469 times
My neighbors in a Robson Community near Phoenix moved from there to Robson Ranch. They were back a year later. I don't know what the problem was but it cost them a bundle.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 48,651 times
My spouse and I have visited over 20 of the 55+ communities (in 5 states) over the last couple of years and found the amenities, the houses, (and most importantly, the people) of Robson Ranch to be first class. We also loved the proximity to DFW and the shopping in Southlake.

Call us wierd but we have a basic problem with having a $450-500M retirement home in an area where where we have to deal with the quality of life issues associated with living in the middle of a gas wellfield.

IMO the gas drilling (and servicing) operations have ruined the community...

Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM

26 posts, read 114,123 times
Google "Robson Ranch" You can get all the info you will need.
Once the gas drilling is conpleted, the 5 acres are surrounded by a solid fence with trees all the way around and grass covering the area.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,788 times
Do you think the costs of homes in Robson is being affected by the potential gas well development?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM

34,698 posts, read 54,535,147 times
lots of factors affect the home prices

Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 AM

17 posts, read 32,385 times
Robson ranch is in the city (denton) now as i write this, not just the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas