U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 30,893 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about coming out to the Dallas area to look into retirement communities (+55). Does anyone have any information about Robson Ranch near Denton? Are there other age restricted communities we should look at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,080,239 times
Default Frisco Lakes

You might look at Frisco Lakes, a Pulte Del Webb Retirement Community. Here is their web site:

http://www.delwebb.com/homefinder/Community.aspx?ID=100501 (broken link)

Old 11-24-2006, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 30,893 times
Thanks, I will visit Frisco Lakes when I visit the area.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM

13,791 posts, read 7,785,578 times
Everyone I know that has moved out to Robson Ranch loves it. I have friends that have lived in NYC for years and years and slowly but surely, some of them have decided they want to buy something affordable but they want golf and tennis and swimming and other activities. Robson Ranch fit their bill. They also wanted to be near a major metro area too. I believe Robson Ranch has enough land to continue expansion for the next 10 years or so. Also, it used to be out all by its lonesome but new masterplanned neighborhoods are being planned and platted along with a lot of new retail and restaurants.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,436 times
Default Robson Ranch

Robson Ranch was not a good experience for me or my wife. We lost $7600 for no work done. After we paid our money we found out they were using plastic pipe instead of copper for the water supply. We have repeatedly asked for our money back and they just ignore us.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-24-2007 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: No personal websites and no manual signatures.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 14,976 times
Default Living at Robson Ranch

We built at Robson Ranch Texas in late 2005. While we love living here now, the building experience was a nightmare. We advise everyone thinking of moving here to buy an existing home. None of the headaches and all of the perks. Most of the people are friendly; most will agree that the building process (pre- and post-construction) is a nightmare (then and now). Houses are built well; attention to detail not so great. Hence the need for post-construction nightmares. Once settled and past the one year mark, we are loving every minute of our life here. Peace and quiet (under the flight path and next to 2 train tracks) abound, little or no traffic, neighbors who keep to themselves, a fitness center to rival any other, and a golf course and practice facilities that far exceed most. I know very few who regret living at Robson Ranch; they only regret not buying an existing home here.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 AM

34,057 posts, read 54,057,794 times
one thing I notice about Robson Ranch is that there are NO TREES since this was basically big cotton field or pasture land where most native trees were probably removed before development was started--there are trees planted by developer/home owner but it is a pretty stark landscape and almost no shade of any meaningful amount...golf course is pretty flat and again--has few trees--but maybe that is good for your game...

In Robson Ranch privacy fences are not allowed so back yards are open which to me is little disconcerting but I think maintenance is part of the monthly homeowner fee and they need access to back yards ...
they take their HOA seriously -- any variations are not allowed so make sure you can live with the rules because it is not likely they will be changed....

Denton is the closest large town--Denton is undergrowing lots of growth with the University of North TX campus as well as other aspects of community life...traffic can be bad on certain streets due to construction and I do not think Denton is a very pretty town---it always seems dirty to me when I go up there...the hospital that is on S side of town is fairly new and is pretty good from what I have heard....
Taxes might be higher than you are used to---

The other development in Frisco probably has much more vibrant environment because of being located in one of the more active growing towns north of Dallas--Frisco was fairly small farming community for years until develpoers bought the farm land and started building subdivisions and commercial/retail space...busy streets--shopping--you don't need to go to Dallas since most of what you want is fairly close...
the Del Webb I have seen in Georgetown north of Austin is very attractive development with great property values and good golf course--I find that geography/native trees more appealing than the Robson Ranch location...don't know what the Del Webb in Frisco looks like--that area also has lots of rolling prairie land with few heavily treed patches...

Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

178 posts, read 324,949 times
Folks live at Robson. Moved from Arlington. Truly enjoy it. Some challenges from time to time, but it's a growing community with some neat people from around the country. We like visiting and knowing they are in a community with other recently retired folks and a decent mix of older and younger. Could use more racial diversity as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 AM

34,057 posts, read 54,057,794 times
actually with Robson ranch--they can't be too much younger--they hold the rules about having anyone living there under the 55 (?) rule pretty strickly--

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 39,205 times
My father put down money as a hold(1 year) on a home which was to have been built. My mother had died in St. Louis and he was going to relocate to TX. After my husband and I decided to relocate from DFW area, he cancelled. Nothing had been done, land was still barren. They would not give him back is deposit. He wrote Robson corporate no money was returned. Just think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>