Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
I have many friends in Kansas City, and have been there many times. While it is a great city, I don' think you can compare the job market and amenities that Dallas offers with it (they are not same tier cities). With the slow demise/bleeding of Sprint, and the telecom bust, opportunities are not as plentiful in Tech (of course, I don't know what your field is). Dallas, on the other hand, is booming, and has many cultural amenities, 4 professional sports teams etc.
High Tech is starting to go bust. Apple's earnings are down, for example. PC sales have slumped, necessitating Intel to layoff employees in that department. Couple that with declining retail sales and Dallas will feel the recession the most. Who is buying tablets? They are starting to go the way of the netbook with all these big screen phones.

Retail/Restaurants and High Tech/Telecom are the dominant industries out of the minutia of companies headquartered in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 AM

54 posts, read 56,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
High Tech is starting to go bust. Apple's earnings are down, for example. PC sales have slumped, necessitating Intel to layoff employees in that department. Couple that with declining retail sales and Dallas will feel the recession the most. Who is buying tablets? They are starting to go the way of the netbook with all these big screen phones.

Retail/Restaurants and High Tech/Telecom are the dominant industries out of the minutia of companies headquartered in DFW.
This is a bit shortsighted. So what if Apple's earnings are down this quarter, or tablet sales are down?

Tech in general is the future of the world. Tech is to the economy of the 21st century what oil was to the economy of the 20th century. Software and electrical components are increasingly automating almost everything, to the point that the only occupations safe from being outsourced to software and robotics are those in tech.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I think there are plenty of "tech" people who could say they have been outsourced---
Even if it was only to an H1b visa foreigner--
It's still outsourced and at lower salary point--and it is the economics that KerrTown was referencing...

I think some of you have not been in DFW long enough to know this sort of upheaval has happened before===maybe not to the extent it is happening now because Dallas is growing at a record pace over past few years...
But because of the lower (nationally) salary averages and types of jobs that predominated there have always been people priced out of the housing market...

Dallas for years was fairly stable without lot of gyrations that other areas went through but that didn't mean that every young couple being married was going to be able to afford the type of house they wanted...or that people who had lived in house for 5-7 yrs were going to have enough appreciation or market competition to sell their house for nice profit and move upward...

Real estate is so much about location...some areas because there was new construction along with older that was still desireable saw appreciation and other areas that were already built out and not that "hot" were stagnant...but people didn't automatically enlarge their shopping circle to include lower PPF neighborhoods just because the price was lower...

Dallas is lucky to have a more diverse economy--but gaining a more diverse economy comes from relocation even more than home-grown growth...and the fact that it is happening so strongly in past 3 yrs means that there is little time to adjust to all the complexities quick growth throws into the system...
You can't built a highway in 12 months---for example...

The real question to ask is how long will this influx last----another 2 yrs--another 5 yrs???
I don't know there is any way to predict that...
It used to be that having large relocations were outliers--American Airlines, Exxon--Fidelity--
And while people saw the boost in the economy, they also decried the negatives--
Like having people from out of state with better salaries (American employees for example) come in to buy up all the houses and crowd the street with their cars and bad driving habits and complain about local food (Tex-Mex) and lack of good pizza...

So some things are new but not new...which is the nature of change...
This is just another version of the quote "those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it"...

Old 05-13-2016, 05:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Just one correction--> retail sales are NOT declining in total. When you see all the earnings reports this month from Macy's, Kohl's, Gap, Nordstrom, etc, you have to consider their sales losses in the context of the total retail industry, including EComm pure play. Amazon's Q1 North American retail sales increase by $3.5B (+27% to Q1 15); those sales have to come from somewhere when total retail sales are in the flat to +1% range.

Yes, there will be carnage at individual retailers as Amazon is doing to the national retail landscape what Wal-Mart did to the small-town "mom & pop" stores in the late 1900's. But consumer spending is not contracting. The analysts are having really hard time connecting the dots this week between Amazon and other pure play EComm companies' gains and the brick & mortar based retailers' losses.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:03 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
My annual salary is around $45,000 before taxes. I just moved to the area, but have already given up on being able to afford a house here. A decent 1br apartment is already close to $1000 per month.

Salaries are low for the cost of living in DFW. My friend in Kansas City makes the same salary I make, but his money goes quite a bit further. His 1br is comparable to mine and is only around $800.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
My annual salary is around $45,000 before taxes. I just moved to the area, but have already given up on being able to afford a house here. A decent 1br apartment is already close to $1000 per month.

Salaries are low for the cost of living in DFW. My friend in Kansas City makes the same salary I make, but his money goes quite a bit further. His 1br is comparable to mine and is only around $800.
I agree; housing costs have gone up substantially over the last several years without an equally large bump in pay...which equates to an effective pay cut for many renters.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Excellent thoughtful thread. In my west Plano neighborhood I see higher end owners testing the market by listing. By that I mean listing at a price unlikely to sale. So this skews listing prices relative to closing prices i.e. Even median prices of each. In Plano I think this trend is driven by legacy west job transfers viewed as a one off of typical demand. Also the mix of home closing in a given period reflects the market a few months earlier than the current listings reflect. I believe the higher end bones are more likely to be pulled off market and nor sold. The $100k difference in median prices is significant and I doubt the factors cited account for this size difference.

On the price of affordable homes point I saw a headline on fox business in the last few days claiming fed gov regs have driver up home costs by $80k vs some undefined period long ago.sounds high to me but a direction point I can agree what's drive up prices if new construction which impacts sales orices.

The 'hgtv' effect has driven expect ions of first home buyers higher as granite and SS seem to be mi I mum requirements but not driven. by the government.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
I can't believe anything the gov't did made an 80K impact on home prices specifically--
There can't be a flat 80K difference per house--makes no statistical sense...

Maybe it was referring to the effect of the ACA on businesses' insurance costs
But when the source is Fox Business that seems prejudicial--
Bloomberg's or PBS or CNN I might view as less biased...

Re the pay aspect---
Texas as a right-to-work state has never had high over-all salary ranges---
Blue collar workers w/o unions behind them get short-shift and white collar workers usually are paid less than other cities on E/W coasts of similar sizes...
The advent of Fidelity with so many lower eschilon white collar workers didn't help since many of their top earners get bonus/commission--not salary increases--so they don't lift the avg paycheck

Toyota seems to be one that might make a difference though--
Waiting to see how many of those "avg 100K" salaries actually wind up sitting at the desks in new building...

Old 05-13-2016, 10:43 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I can't believe anything the gov't did made an 80K impact on home prices specifically--
There can't be a flat 80K difference per house--makes no statistical sense...

Maybe it was referring to the effect of the ACA on businesses' insurance costs
But when the source is Fox Business that seems prejudicial--
Bloomberg's or PBS or CNN I might view as less biased...

Re the pay aspect---
Texas as a right-to-work state has never had high over-all salary ranges---
Blue collar workers w/o unions behind them get short-shift and white collar workers usually are paid less than other cities on E/W coasts of similar sizes...
The advent of Fidelity with so many lower eschilon white collar workers didn't help since many of their top earners get bonus/commission--not salary increases--so they don't lift the avg paycheck

Toyota seems to be one that might make a difference though--
Waiting to see how many of those "avg 100K" salaries actually wind up sitting at the desks in new building...
In real/COL adjusted terms Dallas area pay is excellent (statewide pay as well). I understand this runs counter to much political think and regional bias. A new data set will be out in a few weeks.

Take a look at SF, LA, NYC, Boston and Dallas and Houston...................

Cost-of-Living Adjusted Wage Data for U.S. Metro Areas

Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 AM

69 posts, read 120,099 times
I waited out a bubble in Florida and bought a home for 60% less than peak pricing,now we're on the other side of that as homeowners I think it's time to cash out and rent for a couple years while the bubble pops here in Dallas.

While jobs are moving here the price boom isn't normal and will have to re-adjust ,it always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas