Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 AM

769 posts, read 782,439 times

Advertisements

And yet they almost always endorse Republicans.

Not that it matters anymore. It's a dieing paper. A paywall for that product? LOL. I don't think so and this has nothing to do with left/right. It's just not competitive to charge money for online news.

Last edited by octo; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Stupid typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:57 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
And yet they almost always endorse Republicans.

Not that it matters anymore. It's a dieing paper. A paywall for that product? LOL. I don't think so and this has nothing to do with left/right. It's just not competitive to charge money for online news.
1. I agree The DMN wanting to charge ~$100 or ~$120 per year is asinine.

2. The thing about the DMN almost always endorsing republicans hasn't been accurate for years. The DMN endorsed Bill White for gov. in 2010.

There were a whole lot of democrats on The DMN's 2014 recommended list.
Our recommendations for Tuesday's general election | Dallas Morning News

Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM

The key word was "ALMOST". Just because they endorsed a democrat here and there doesn't make it a liberal rag.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM

This liberal rag endorsed for example:

President:
Bush 2000
Bush 2004
Mc Cain 2008
Romney 2012

Governor:
Rick Perry (until he became too embarrassing)
Greg Abbot

A paper automatically disqualifies as "liberal" with this history of endorsements.
Doesn't matter if they endorsed a few democrats as a (non bat **** crazy conservative) fig leaf.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:

President:
Bush 2000
Bush 2004
Mc Cain 2008
Romney 2012

Governor:
Greg Abbot

A paper automatically disqualifies as "liberal" with this history of endorsements.
Doesn't matter if they endorsed a few democrats as a (non bat **** crazy conservative) fig leaf.
Obviously you don't read it.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 AM

185 posts, read 169,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Well for one Davis writes for the paper maybe 7 or 8 times per year. The hard truth is, to their credit the paper has admitted as much although indirectly, the regular op ed/blog/opinion/regular writers........

Liberals..........
Kevan Ann Wiley - Editoral Page Editor - very liberal.
Sharon Grigsby - very liberal/emotionally so, writes almost every day.
Jim Mitchell - liberal but usually somewhat reasonable, writes 3 or 4x per week.
Carl Leubsdorf (political writer) a staunch democrat, writes 2 or 3x per month.
Michael Lindenburger - liberal, writes 1x per week or so. He mixes in a down the middle piece occasionally.
Leona Allen - liberal but not particularly political, writes 1 or 2x per week.
Richard Parker - perfect liberal/republican hater - at least he is somewhat honest about it, writes 1, 2 or 3x per month.
Nichole Stockade - very liberal, writes regularly.
Jacqueline Floyd - Molly Ivins light.........perfectly liberal on all issues all the time.......oddly enough married to Mike Hashimoto.

Recently departed...........
Tod Roberson - hyperleft republican hater and a jerk as well. I'm fairly sure he was fired for making fun of readers who disagreed with him.
Rudy Bush - very left wing academic, made a lot of technical mistakes and a republican hater.

Conservatives......
Mike Hashimoto - a libertarian and 100% honest about it. He's been on injured reserve, severe neck injury, for over a year. He only occasionally writes although he seems to be writing more lately.
Mark Davis - very conservative, writes about 8 or 10x per year.

In effect what the paper has done is set the table for 8 or 10 liberal pieces per conservative piece and that is not an exaggeration.

It just absurd to label the DMN anything other than a paper that leans left.

They endorsed Abbott because Wendy Davis was an unelectable liar and game player. She had absolutely no chance.
They endorsed Kasich for the GOP nomination only - not for president.
The problem is that there are not enough "conservative" columnists who can write intelligently and critically. They ran some columns from a "conservative" female columnist for a while, a woman out of Austin whose name I can't recall, and they were terrible. You can't blame the DMN for a lack of talent and expertise from the "conservative" viewpoint. I put conservative in quotes but what passes for conservative these days is anything but.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
The problem is that there are not enough "conservative" columnists who can write intelligently and critically. They ran some columns from a "conservative" female columnist for a while, a woman out of Austin whose name I can't recall, and they were terrible. You can't blame the DMN for a lack of talent and expertise from the "conservative" viewpoint. I put conservative in quotes but what passes for conservative these days is anything but.
I've forgotten her name as well she was terrible.

There are plenty of brilliant conservatives out there.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:21 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
The key word was "ALMOST". Just because they endorsed a democrat here and there doesn't make it a liberal rag.
This does:

Robert Kagan: This is how fascism comes to America | Dallas Morning News

Quote:

President:
Bush 2000
Bush 2004
Mc Cain 2008
Romney 2012

Governor:
Greg Abbot

It endorses one paleocon (Abbott) because even today's, East Coast DMN is too embarrassed by Abortion Barbie.

The rest are neocons (aka leftist Republicans aka Rockefeller Republicans).

Old 05-19-2016, 06:40 PM

185 posts, read 169,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
This does:

Robert Kagan: This is how fascism comes to America | Dallas Morning News

It endorses one paleocon (Abbott) because even today's, East Coast DMN is too embarrassed by Abortion Barbie.

The rest are neocons (aka leftist Republicans aka Rockefeller Republicans).
And what label should we attach to people who think that calling someone "abortion barbie" is respectable? Several names come to my mind, but I'll take the high road and keep them to myself.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM

29 posts, read 20,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWtransplant189 View Post
Starting today, the Dallas Morning New site is no longer free to access. Looks like I'll have to refer to local new station website for local news. Anyone else have other avenues for local news?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think such a media exists any more since Warshington allowed it all to be owned by a few corporations. In North Texas, the spreading consensus has the Dallas Morning News pegged as a Marxist Newspaper. If they weren't so fervent in spreading their extremist left wing agenda, perhaps they could manage to make a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas