Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:44 AM

515 posts, read 558,175 times

Advertisements

They do have the Max. It goes from UTA to Centreport Station, with 1 measley stop on Collins. I've taken it a couple times, ridership seemed high, but needs way more stops.

I read somewhere that The T in F.W. may expand into Arlington.

Here is the info on the Max:
Metro ArlingtonXpress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:47 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
I disagree with OPs opinion on location. It turned out to be a great location. Both large cities must sacrifice. FW ppl are less willing to drive to Dallas to take in a game. There's huge money on the city's west side. Huge money in the county's NE burbs.

Both counties have approx 2 million people. The medium income for an individual and a family is higher in Tarrant County vs Dallas County. The cost of living is also less.

So with those things considered, it's not surprising that they chose to stay in Arlington. FW population growth is outpacing Dallas and the two cities will have the same population numbers +- 200k within the next couple of decades. I'm also willing to bet that baseball, although not as popular as football, is a very huge deal in Tarrant County.

Ill be attending more games in the new stadium and I'd like to thank the residents of Arlington for contributing money for the cause.
Actually, people who live in Fort Worth are more willing to drive to Dallas than vice versa. As for sports, I know a lot more Fort Worth residents who have season tickets to the Rangers than to the Cowboys and it's the same in Arlington. Fort Worth residents though are much more interested in TCU sports than they are in pro teams. I don't ever see a pro team making it in Fort Worth since TCU baseball and football are such big draws. The basketball team sucks but they just renovated the Coliseum where they play and got a new coach so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big push to improve basketball recruiting on the horizon.

I'm on Nextdoor with more than 30 other Arlington neighborhoods. While I don't have official polling numbers I know that the vast majority of the members of my Nextdoor group are furious about the sneaky way the mayor is trying to get the new stadium. The mayor is up for reelection next year. The consensus is that the only reason the mayor is doing this now is because he wants to say during the mayoral race that he got the Rangers to stay without raising taxes. The truth is that to do this he's continuing a tax that's set to expire and this doesn't need to be discussed for several years because the Rangers' lease on the Ballpark doesn't expire until 2024.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Actually, people who live in Fort Worth are more willing to drive to Dallas than vice versa. As for sports, I know a lot more Fort Worth residents who have season tickets to the Rangers than to the Cowboys and it's the same in Arlington. Fort Worth residents though are much more interested in TCU sports than they are in pro teams. I don't ever see a pro team making it in Fort Worth since TCU baseball and football are such big draws. The basketball team sucks but they just renovated the Coliseum where they play and got a new coach so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big push to improve basketball recruiting on the horizon.

I'm on Nextdoor with more than 30 other Arlington neighborhoods. While I don't have official polling numbers I know that the vast majority of the members of my Nextdoor group are furious about the sneaky way the mayor is trying to get the new stadium. The mayor is up for reelection next year. The consensus is that the only reason the mayor is doing this now is because he wants to say during the mayoral race that he got the Rangers to stay without raising taxes. The truth is that to do this he's continuing a tax that's set to expire and this doesn't need to be discussed for several years because the Rangers' lease on the Ballpark doesn't expire until 2024.
There's no statistical way to prove that ppl in FW are more willing to drive to Dallas than vice versa. I've lived in both cities. While in Dallas, I never ventured to FW. But in FW, I venture to Dallas simply because that's what I know. I think ppl in Dallas don't see a reason to come to FW. I don't blame them at all and I wouldn't even say they are missing anything but FW is the better city. I'd liken FW to the decent looking girl with an awesome personality. Not a head turner but marriage material nonetheless. Dallas is the head turner, gorgeous broad whose beauty is barely more than skin deep. Sure a glimmer of inner beauty comes through every now and then but for the most part, it's external attractiveness has no relation to essential quality.

FW ppl understand that they have to eventually travel to Dallas for a few things that they would otherwise miss: Mavericks/Stars games, State Fair, etc. There's really nothing that huge in FW drawing in Dallas people.

I agree that Pro Sports wouldn't survive in FW but I wouldn't say its bc TCU. I would say it's bc the pro teams are just next door in Arlington. People in FW have a lot of pride about their city. They'd be loyal fans similar to what you see in OKC. If Dallas had a pro baseball team in the Mesquite area, FW could handle a pro baseball team. If Chicago and the Bay area can handle it, so can DFW. Cowboys are way too popular to have another NFL team. Basketball is definitely not popular enough in FW to ever consider placing a team there. FW sports fans are huge supporters of Rangers/Cowboys 1st, TCU 2nd, Baylor 3rd.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
There's no statistical way to prove that ppl in FW are more willing to drive to Dallas than vice versa.
Of course there is. That's what surveys and statistics are for.

Quote:
If Chicago and the Bay area can handle it, so can DFW.
Chicago can't really handle two teams. The Cubs are the draw, the White Sox average half as much, are typically in the bottom half of the league in attendance, and haven't lead in attendance since 1990. SF also really can't handle two teams, the Giants are the draw, and Oakland averages half as much and haven't lead the league in attendance since 1992.

LA does well with two teams, NY does well with two teams, and Washington & Baltimore are barely acceptable.

So basically to totally support 2 baseball teams, DFW's population would have to nearly double.

Even with the heat, the Rangers do well in attendance, typically near the top of the league.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 AM

641 posts, read 801,875 times
DFW and Chicago are two diff animals. Baseball is bigger here. There is a relation between an area's youth baseball participation to the area's pro team attendance. People who watch baseball or attend the games are more likely than other sports to have played it or experienced it on a personal level.

There's also more TX pride. I would bet money that if dallas had a pro team in an eastern burb, fw could handle its own pro baseball team.

It's a pointless debate though. Rangers are in a perfect location in the middle of the metro and aren't going anywhere. The FW side's population is growing fast. DFW will be the 3rd most populated metro before you know it. FW is projected to have 1.49m ppl in the next 20years. Dallas will have 1.53m. Aledo and Weatherford (fw western burbs that love baseball too) are growing fast. Arlington is the best location for the entire metro. TX are "the cities" of the future. We are all in a great spot!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
I doubt MLB would give Fort Worth a baseball team after the Fort Worth Cats flopped.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM

49 posts, read 60,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I doubt MLB would give Fort Worth a baseball team after the Fort Worth Cats flopped.
The whole league flopped....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_League_Baseball

Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
updated analysis on how horrible of a deal this would be for Arlington:

The Texas Rangers' Ballpark Scam Is Even Worse Than We Thought

Old 10-18-2016, 01:02 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
updated analysis on how horrible of a deal this would be for Arlington:

The Texas Rangers' Ballpark Scam Is Even Worse Than We Thought
That is essentially the worst source of information and commentary possible. Why not National Lampoon next time?

I'm hoping Arlington rejects the proposal and The Rangers end up somewhere around downtown Dallas in a few years. But that piece is just garbage.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:57 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That is essentially the worst source of information and commentary possible. Why not National Lampoon next time?

I'm hoping Arlington rejects the proposal and The Rangers end up somewhere around downtown Dallas in a few years. But that piece is just garbage.

WFAA the worst source? Didn't realize Brett Shipp and Mark Smith were considered the Abbott and Costello of journalism but okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas