Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 01:44 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It can be done. Just like they turned Turtle Creek into a parkway and Buffalo Bayou in Houston into a park as well. Houston is expanding their Buffalo Bayou park. That’s a very great example of a park that frequently floods. The vast majority of the time, the floodplain is dry. Why not turn it into a park…?

I know about the moving of the Trinity River. You can tell it’s unnatural based on how straight the channel is. The natural course of a river has bends and oxbows.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ6PoGXLTQ4
Buffalo Bayou and Turtle Creek aren't comparable to the Trinity, as both are much smaller waterways with smaller flood zones. They both already have tons of development on their banks that is at a higher elevation. The two times I can remember that Buffalo Bayou Park flooded, it took months and a lot of money to clean it up, since a ton of silt and dirt and other detritus washed up and was left behind.

Any Trinity plan would be, at minimum 5x bigger than Buffalo Bayou Park and when the floods come the clean-up would be immense. The river is flat and the flood zone is huge. Could it be done? Sure. Is it smart? I think the hundreds of millions this would cost could definitely be better used elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 01:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Buffalo Bayou and Turtle Creek aren't comparable to the Trinity, as both are much smaller waterways with smaller flood zones. They both already have tons of development on their banks that is at a higher elevation. The two times I can remember that Buffalo Bayou Park flooded, it took months and a lot of money to clean it up, since a ton of silt and dirt and other detritus washed up and was left behind.

Any Trinity plan would be, at minimum 5x bigger than Buffalo Bayou Park and when the floods come the clean-up would be immense. The river is flat and the flood zone is huge. Could it be done? Sure. Is it smart? I think the hundreds of millions this would cost could definitely be better used elsewhere.
The Trinity park is being designed to have no clean up after a heavy rain......

https://mvvainc.com/projects/harold-simmons-park

Scroll down to the flood diagrams.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:21 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:

I mean, Trammell Crow Park is already in the floodplain. Just expanding what is already there would be great. A lot of trees are unlikely due to it slowing down the flow of the river when flooded. I already see people using the floodplain for running, biking, and picnicking. The time I went, the parking lot was packed. The city already has unpaved and paved trails there. I think it is very worth exploring the idea of putting a park there. Going down there myself completely changed my perspective. At one point, I did think there was no point of putting any type of park space there after years of delays...

Old 05-31-2023, 03:31 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
I mean, Trammell Crow Park is already in the floodplain. Just expanding what is already there would be great. A lot of trees are unlikely due to it slowing down the flow of the river when flooded. I already see people using the floodplain for running, biking, and picnicking. The time I went, the parking lot was packed. The city already has unpaved and paved trails there. I think it is very worth exploring the idea of putting a park there. Going down there myself completely changed my perspective. At one point, I did think there was no point of putting any type of park space there after years of delays...
That's really what should be the focus - expanding trails and the like. The reason that nothing has been done is the obsession with a big, fancy park with a bunch of amenities. Trammell Crow is there, but it's really just a flat landscaped area with a few places to sit. That's because when the river floods, any major infrastructure and amenities will be damaged or destroyed.

There's no doubt they can improve what's down on the Trinity to some extent, but at the end of the day adding a bunch of stuff that will be damaged/destroyed each time the channel floods doesn't seem like a great idea, especially considering that money could go to building/expanding other parks.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:10 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
The violent flooding around downtown is caused by outflows around downtown - the Trinity is actually a really slow flooding channel upstream. I'd actually like to see the results of the Mill Creek Outflow channel construction, due to complete by 2025, especially since the outflow is quite a bit south of downtown. It may lead to the end of the Trinity filling the entire area between the levees around downtown, except in extremely rare events. To that extent some additional public amenities in the flood plain, built to withstand an occasional slow-rolling flood event, might be possible and economical.

Supposedly it's the largest water project going on in the western hemisphere currently.

Of course all that water has to go somewhere, so the violent floods will move a bit farther south to White Rock Creek. Who knows what the consequences of that will be.....

Old 05-31-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
That's really what should be the focus - expanding trails and the like. The reason that nothing has been done is the obsession with a big, fancy park with a bunch of amenities. Trammell Crow is there, but it's really just a flat landscaped area with a few places to sit. That's because when the river floods, any major infrastructure and amenities will be damaged or destroyed.

There's no doubt they can improve what's down on the Trinity to some extent, but at the end of the day adding a bunch of stuff that will be damaged/destroyed each time the channel floods doesn't seem like a great idea, especially considering that money could go to building/expanding other parks.
I believe the idea for the new park is to incorporate flooding. I think most of the real amenities will be a long the levees.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The violent flooding around downtown is caused by outflows around downtown - the Trinity is actually a really slow flooding channel upstream. I'd actually like to see the results of the Mill Creek Outflow channel construction, due to complete by 2025, especially since the outflow is quite a bit south of downtown. It may lead to the end of the Trinity filling the entire area between the levees around downtown, except in extremely rare events. To that extent some additional public amenities in the flood plain, built to withstand an occasional slow-rolling flood event, might be possible and economical.

Supposedly it's the largest water project going on in the western hemisphere currently.

Of course all that water has to go somewhere, so the violent floods will move a bit farther south to White Rock Creek. Who knows what the consequences of that will be.....
Very good point about the Mill Creek Tunnel. It is a very impressive project. I totally forgot about the outlet being at White Rock Creek south of Downtown and not to the Trinity River. That will help out a lot. Luckily, the outlet is in the Great Trinity Forest. That's basically Dallas' sponge that helps to soak up a lot of the flood waters in heavy rain. A lot of wetlands in that area as well.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:47 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Very good point about the Mill Creek Tunnel. It is a very impressive project. I totally forgot about the outlet being at White Rock Creek south of Downtown and not to the Trinity River. That will help out a lot. Luckily, the outlet is in the Great Trinity Forest. That's basically Dallas' sponge that helps to soak up a lot of the flood waters in heavy rain. A lot of wetlands in that area as well.
Not to mention dead bodies and marijuana patches.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:52 PM

Video from today:

New talk about old Dallas Trinity River park plan

Not really surprised but dramatic change as in to what they’re planning to build here now. At least they’re building the lakes as they raise the levees. So, you are right Dallasboi and they are building one aspect of the original plan.

Old 06-24-2023, 12:49 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
This is old old but it' reveals the HISTORY of the ambition behind it!!! Whatever we get will be iconic and well received...... Even if it's drastically scaled down.

It probably will be scaled down but not DRASTICALLY.... Even a scaled down version would STILL be HUGE!!!

https://youtu.be/Pvx4NVpeEFI:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas