Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times

Advertisements

My guess is most poor people come from poor households. They have a poor persons mentality because that is all they know and have been exposed too. No one is born with a poor, middle class or wealthy skills. They are taught to you by people who are poor, middle class or wealthy. I want pretend to the know the answers but I doubt anyone here is where they are in life without any guidance from their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
My guess is most poor people come from poor households. They have a poor persons mentality because that is all they know and have been exposed too. No one is born with a poor, middle class or wealthy skills. They are taught to you by people who are poor, middle class or wealthy. I want pretend to the know the answers but I doubt anyone here is where they are in life without any guidance from their family.
I tend to vote for Democrats because I believe in helping the poor (mostly for the sake of their children) in spite of the fact that they frequently fail to make choices that could help themselves, but I don't agree with your statement at all.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:00 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Actually I believe there is validity to that statement. I dubbed in a low income school regularly. The teachers were given information about just that.

High income families teach and model info on how to continue to be high income and successful. Middle class families also teach and model values on how to be successful in the middle class. But also aspire to be more successful. And tend to watch and mirror the actions of higher income individuals.

Low income families are more isolated and don't have as many opportunities to watch and mirror the actions of those more financially successful. Additionally where the upper and middle classes have an expectation that you want to be successful there is a faction of the lower classes that see that as a betrayal of the group. That you think you are better than them. And will either shun or attempt to derail efforts to more ahead.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I tend to vote for Democrats because I believe in helping the poor (mostly for the sake of their children) in spite of the fact that they frequently fail to make choices that could help themselves, but I don't agree with your statement at all.
And I don't vote Democrat because I believe in donating my money directly to causes that will help those in need. And have a far better percentage of money actually available to provide aid.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Actually I believe there is validity to that statement. I dubbed in a low income school regularly. The teachers were given information about just that.

High income families teach and model info on how to continue to be high income and successful. Middle class families also teach and model values on how to be successful in the middle class. But also aspire to be more successful. And tend to watch and mirror the actions of higher income individuals.

Low income families are more isolated and don't have as many opportunities to watch and mirror the actions of those more financially successful. Additionally where the upper and middle classes have an expectation that you want to be successful there is a faction of the lower classes that see that as a betrayal of the group. That you think you are better than them. And will either shun or attempt to derail efforts to more ahead.
I think there is more upper class resentment among middle class families than you'd believe (speaking from personal experience). And I mean actual middle class families, not the people making $150k who still think they are middle class. My family greatly resents that I have moved to the upper income brackets from a solidly middle class upbringing. The entire idea behind the "1%/99%" movement shows that lots of people don't mind if you do a little better than you were born into, but you better not knock it out of the park. My grandparents used to pay for our dinners out when they came to visit as a matter of pride. When my own parents come visit me, they don't even reach for the check and tell me that I'm doing well enough to pay for a meal for them. They are right that I can afford it, but it still feels like a rebuke rather than a compliment. And don't even get them started on people making more than I do. They firmly believe that any person making $1 million or more a year is immoral, and they're definitely not alone.

All that to say, I believe that a person uses his or her upbringing to inform his/her view of the world, but must eventually be held responsible for his or her own actions and decisions.

My point about voting for Democrats was merely meant to convey the idea that I don't want to cut poor people loose since several posters have balked at the idea that a person could believe that poor people are responsible to a large extent for where they are in life. It's BS to say that they are incapable of knowing to want more out of life. Wanting more from life is a human trait, not something special that the middle and upper classes have.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:02 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times
Good news, everybody...

In spite of the best efforts of state legislators and the real estate lobby, liberals in Dallas and Austin are eager to change state law on Section 8 as described in this article: Life in Dallas' Section 8 City | Dallas Observer

"Housing advocates" such as John Henneberger of Austin, along with Dallas City Council members such as Tiffinni Young and Philip Kingston, backed by the federal government and reporters such as Eric Nicholson, want to make it illegal for landlords to refuse to rent to Section 8 vouchers. That would be "source of income" discrimination which the feds consider illegal.

I feel this is sending a very important message to all of us: that if your own life circumstances haven't gotten you to the place you would like, you can always count on other people's tax money to support your living in a nicer place than you could afford on your own.

I can't afford to live in Frisco, the Park Cities or West Plano, and I am hoping that someone will send me a housing voucher to remedy this outrageous discrimination. Don't I have the right to live in a nice neighborhood? As far as I'm concerned, a community isn't "inclusive" unless I can afford to live there.

* Just a little sarcasm there, folks...

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Good news, everybody...

In spite of the best efforts of state legislators and the real estate lobby, liberals in Dallas and Austin are eager to change state law on Section 8 as described in this article: Life in Dallas' Section 8 City | Dallas Observer

"Housing advocates" such as John Henneberger of Austin, along with Dallas City Council members such as Tiffinni Young and Philip Kingston, backed by the federal government and reporters such as Eric Nicholson, want to make it illegal for landlords to refuse to rent to Section 8 vouchers. That would be "source of income" discrimination which the feds consider illegal.

I feel this is sending a very important message to all of us: that if your own life circumstances haven't gotten you to the place you would like, you can always count on other people's tax money to support your living in a nicer place than you could afford on your own.

I can't afford to live in Frisco, the Park Cities or West Plano, and I am hoping that someone will send me a housing voucher to remedy this outrageous discrimination. Don't I have the right to live in a nice neighborhood? As far as I'm concerned, a community isn't "inclusive" unless I can afford to live there.

* Just a little sarcasm there, folks...
I'm all for helping people who want to improve their lives and those of their children, but this policy doesn't make any sense for Dallas to pass in a vacuum, since it will be a cold day in hell before the Dallas suburbs follow suit. For this policy to make sense you have to be able to get kids into mixed race/income schools in the suburbs. There are just too few in Dallas proper for much opportunity to exist.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 AM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
They think their middle class lifestyle is 100% achieved by their own hard work. It's so absurd but not surprising.
What's absurd is rationalizing your political beliefs by pretending that you know how others achieved whatever successes they may have and or indirectly taking credit for the successes of others because they use streets, The US mail etc.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM

631 posts, read 884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What's absurd is rationalizing your political beliefs by pretending that you know how others achieved whatever successes they may have and or indirectly taking credit for the successes of others because they use streets, The US mail etc.
Well if you don't know how others achieved whatever means they may have, then you're free to speculate that their gains could be a result of either sheer luck (trust fund inheritance, nepotism), and/or unsavory practices: (lobbying for tax breaks for the 1%, rent seeking behavior, deceptive consumer practices, vexatious litigation, exploiting loopholes in the bankruptcy code for your personal enrichment *coughTrumpcough*)

When I look at the Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic party, I don't see people who are fundamentally opposed to the idea of meritocracy. What I see is people who are pissed off about the structural inequality that our system has created, where being a poor smart kid with an engineering degree means you're $100,000 in debt, and being an average rich kid who got private coaching means you're set with a job at your dad's firm, no debt, and a nice inheritance. I don't think the people defending the status quo would actually want a system where the pie is divided up strictly on the basis of who works the hardest and is the most productive.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM

379 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
When I look at the Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic party, I don't see people who are fundamentally opposed to the idea of meritocracy. What I see is people who are pissed off about the structural inequality that our system has created, where being a poor smart kid with an engineering degree means you're $100,000 in debt, and being an average rich kid who got private coaching means you're set with a job at your dad's firm, no debt, and a nice inheritance.
Ding ding ding ding ding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: