Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times

Advertisements

Even If It Can, Should Dallas Tell the 'Burbs How to De-Segregate? | Dallas Observer
Dallas Better at Helping 'Burbs Desegregate Than Helping Itself | Dallas Observer

According to these enthusiastic articles by Jim Schutze, the Inclusive Community Project, supported by the federal HUD, with the blessing of the federal courts, has been very successful at using a pool of taxpayer money to pay its lawyer friends top dollar to sue local cities to compel them to build more low-income housing and accept more low-income housing vouchers.

How is this working out? I assume it is a smashing success...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:10 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
I know Sunnyvale fought it for years before building it's first apartment complex within the city limits.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
Didn't work in Flower Mound

Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Frisco has at least one section 8 housing project that I know off, I think McKinney does too. I heard one may be built in Wylie. I remember a huge amount of teeth gnashing and sky is falling rhetoric when the one in Frisco was approved. I read predictions on how Frisco was going to descend into south central hellishness. Yet fast forward to the present time, and Frisco is booming even with the section 8 housing so perhaps it's much ado about nothing.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Even If It Can, Should Dallas Tell the 'Burbs How to De-Segregate? | Dallas Observer
Dallas Better at Helping 'Burbs Desegregate Than Helping Itself | Dallas Observer

According to these enthusiastic articles by Jim Schutze, the Inclusive Community Project, supported by the federal HUD, with the blessing of the federal courts, has been very successful at using a pool of taxpayer money to pay its lawyer friends top dollar to sue local cities to compel them to build more low-income housing and accept more low-income housing vouchers.

How is this working out? I assume it is a smashing success...
It's certainly a smashing success from the central government's perspective, but it's not doing anything good for the people who are moving or for their new neighbors.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:50 PM

75 posts, read 91,643 times
I don't get it, government wants to play Robinhood with our property taxes and give it to disadvantaged schools and on top of that, they want to pay people from those areas to move into our neighborhoods and attend area schools. Our kids work hard, take loans to pay high tuition and still don't get into colleges of their choice. URM kids with lower scores are welcomed into colleges on full ride financial aid. Are they trying to punish middle class for working hard?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:34 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
I don't get it, government wants to play Robinhood with our property taxes and give it to disadvantaged schools and on top of that, they want to pay people from those areas to move into our neighborhoods and attend area schools. Our kids work hard, take loans to pay high tuition and still don't get into colleges of their choice. URM kids with lower scores are welcomed into colleges on full ride financial aid. Are they trying to punish middle class for working hard?
No one is being punished.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
No one is being punished.
I'm pretty sure you don't really believe that.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:19 AM

500 posts, read 583,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I know Sunnyvale fought it for years before building it's first apartment complex within the city limits.
That was BS! Sunnyvale should have fought that battle longer and harder! So what if the minimum required residential yard is 1 or 2 acres. If someone wants to live in an area like that, they can work to afford such!

This whole thing is hogwash! Move people with government subsidies out to the far burbs where there is no public transit, no medical care that is easy walking distance, less jobs, etc and think it will be okay and that the ones on government assistance can "rise up" to those levels. HA! How? When there are no jobs in those areas!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 5,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
That was BS! Sunnyvale should have fought that battle longer and harder! So what if the minimum required residential yard is 1 or 2 acres. If someone wants to live in an area like that, they can work to afford such!

Surely you are not implying that low income families don't work hard?

The entitlement within this thread is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: