Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM

35 posts, read 61,573 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are in the process of building a new house and my builder is asking about 2K for soft close drawers upgrade. Does this upgrade cost seems excessive? Is the soft close option worth spending the money ?
If you are building or have build a new house, how much your builder charged/quoted for it ?

Would appreciate a response from the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 PM

769 posts, read 782,256 times
High end slides with dampers are approx.$17 per drawer. 21" TANDEM plus BLUMOTION 563.series for 1/2" - 5/8" drawer thickness

Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,030 times
I have this on the drawers in my kitchen and office, after a renovation. Personally, I don't care for it.

On the plus side, it keeps the drawers fully closed, if you're the kind of person who tends to "over-slam" them and get bounceback. You will never have drawers partially sticking out. You also won't have marked-up surfaces where the drawers touch the woodwork. Might be useful in a kid's room.

On the negative side, if you're like me and have a well-developed habit of carefully closing the drawers fully, it will drive you CRAZY!!!! The drawer closes normally to within an inch or so, then the damper takes over for a soft landing. Problem is, it prevents you from just fully closing the d@mn drawer yourself.

With hindsight, I wouldn't bother. For me, it's a solution to a problem I don't have. I definitely wouldn't pay the quoted price.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM

82 posts, read 116,426 times
Up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. I can say that it's a pretty much mandatory feature to have in a "high end" kitchen. Depending on how many drawers you'll have, it could be worth it. I looked into adding it to my current home as we have a huge kitchen... in the end I didn't want to pay the price for someone to do it after the fact, and I didn't want to take the time and expense of doing it myself either.

If I were designing a kitchen for me , I would opt for them up front.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:14 PM

446 posts, read 845,795 times
The cost is appropriate, our builder charged the same $2K for any/all drawers in the kitchen. We put in a lot of drawers for pots/pans vs. standard cabs and found it to be worthwhile.

EDIT: For doors, don't bother w the builder, you can easily install retrofit pieces to soft close the cab doors and they're pretty cheap on amazon.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:52 PM

35 posts, read 61,573 times
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

We have about 32 drawers in total for the whole house. Based on some reading that I have done, the hardware for soft close is made by multiple brands and varies a lot in quality. Would you happen to know what brand was installed by your builder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
The cost is appropriate, our builder charged the same $2K for any/all drawers in the kitchen. We put in a lot of drawers for pots/pans vs. standard cabs and found it to be worthwhile.

EDIT: For doors, don't bother w the builder, you can easily install retrofit pieces to soft close the cab doors and they're pretty cheap on amazon.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
It's an expected feature in newish houses. Don't skip unless you plan to die in that house.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 AM

500 posts, read 583,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's an expected feature in newish houses. Don't skip unless you plan to die in that house.
Not really.
I've been looking at homes that are 5 years old to brand new in the $800k-1.2 range and they do not all have soft close drawers. They are not having any problems selling those houses either.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM

769 posts, read 782,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Not really.
I've been looking at homes that are 5 years old to brand new in the $800k-1.2 range and they do not all have soft close drawers. They are not having any problems selling those houses either.
I agree that it won't be a big problem for resale purposes.

It does show a lack of attention to quality to leave them out. They are already standard for low cost IKEA kitchens so if a builder doesn't put them into a $1M house then they really project a nickel-and-dime, low quality image in my opinion.
Charging $2k is also along those lines because the cost differential to the builder is magnitudes lower and I for one would not accept these crappy outdated slides that builders still try to install just for them to save $5 per drawer.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:29 AM

446 posts, read 845,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anksagr View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

We have about 32 drawers in total for the whole house. Based on some reading that I have done, the hardware for soft close is made by multiple brands and varies a lot in quality. Would you happen to know what brand was installed by your builder ?
I don't know the brand but, whatever it is, they work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas