Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Brown recluse bites do not send people to the ER "deathly sick."
I'm sure there some weird case out there, but for the most part, no.
Yes, but they can lead to necrosis, fever and chills, skin rash, nausea, and joint pain. The necrosis is ugly, I've seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, but they can lead to necrosis, fever and chills, skin rash, nausea, and joint pain. The necrosis is ugly, I've seen it.
All pretty rare. Even the local necrosis is rare.

The only reason that a person really needs to consult a medical professional in this country for a spider bite is the fact that what they think is a spider bite may very well be something else. And usually is.

Pretty much every single patient who comes in with an MRSA abscess checks In with "spider bite." It's not a spider bite.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm glad I am not allergic to insects. I have been stung by wasp, bitten by fire ants, chiggers and scorpions. I experienced about 10 seconds of intense pain and was fine after that. I get ant piles all the time and treat them as they pop up. Their mounds are pretty pronounced so I seldom run into them by accident. Just watch were you walk and you should be fine. I'm dealing with a colony of bees who have set up shop in my sunroom. Their time is limited.
Please do not exterminate the bees, call a beekeeper who will relocate the colony (if it's possible to do so). We need to conserve all the bees we can.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
All pretty rare. Even the local necrosis is rare.

The only reason that a person really needs to consult a medical professional in this country for a spider bite is the fact that what they think is a spider bite may very well be something else. And usually is.

Pretty much every single patient who comes in with an MRSA abscess checks In with "spider bite." It's not a spider bite.
My brown recluse bite didn't go necrotic. It was painful and took a long time to heal, but no necrosis. Scar faded too.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My brown recluse bite didn't go necrotic. It was painful and took a long time to heal, but no necrosis. Scar faded too.
I'm glad. The pain can be pretty bad.
Meanwhile, most people don't even feel the black widow bite.
I spent a summer on a cot in Mexico (in a little village) with three black widows on the ceiling/web above my head.
At first I was like, "Hell, no." Then I realized they had no plans of coming down from there.
Summer went on uneventfully. Nothing ever happened.

Then we had one in El Paso that lived near our ac unit pipes outside. You'd have to walk by her all the time and she lived there quite a while and never bothered anyone. The scorpions were the little effers causing all the trouble.

That's when I realized to just leave these things alone. Strangely never seen a BW myself in the Dallas area, but I know the recluses are about in woodpiles, garages, closets, etc.

People did get into rattlers and black widows in El Paso. I stopped using the old calcium and morphine iv for the worse painful BW bites and started hitting people with the antivenom - there was never really a threat to their lives (like the rattler bites), but it was just so amazing how their symptoms (body pains, abd pain, writhing, etc) would just disappear with that stuff.

Frankly, after having lived in Indonesia and traveled to places where there actually are aggressive, painful, dangerous bugs (and actual killer snakes - not just pansy copperheads), I think the Dallas area is just nice and fine.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:53 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Frankly, after having lived in Indonesia and traveled to places where there actually are aggressive, painful, dangerous bugs (and actual killer snakes - not just pansy copperheads), I think the Dallas area is just nice and fine.
Yup...apart from the odd case here and there of someone dying of hymenoptera venom allergies or West Nile, our bugs & snakes are pretty tame.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 AM

54 posts, read 56,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Same with mine.

I had it looked at, and it was just treated topically. The doc said to come back if it worsened, but it never worsened. The scar faded after about a year, which was incredible since the hole in my hip from the bite I could have stuck my finger into!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestyCharles View Post
Same with mine.

I had it looked at, and it was just treated topically. The doc said to come back if it worsened, but it never worsened. The scar faded after about a year, which was incredible since the hole in my hip from the bite I could have stuck my finger into!
But wasn't the hole from necrosis? I realize people think I'm being dramatic. The bite from a recluse is concerning. And yes, compared to spiders and snakes in places like Indonesia (as was mentioned) we have it easy. But I sure shake out my shoes and boots when I haven't worn them for a while.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 AM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
I've seen recluse spiders out in the open in kitchen and bathroom sinks looking for moisture. Very slow and timid spiders that are too easy to accidentally bump or squeeze.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZestyCharles View Post
Nope, it was brand new camping gear we had just purchased at the store two days before.

I was half asleep and felt something crawl over my hip. I swatted at it, and it bit me. I didn't get to ID it, but based on how the bite progressed, it had to have been a brown recluse. Basically dissolved a hole in my flesh and hurt like hell for a couple weeks, but overall wasn't too bad. Doc said it was probably a recluse bite as well. If it had been a bite on another area, it could have been bad. Recluse bites can do permanent damage depending on where they bite.
Before its purchase I presume it was in a store in Texas. Recluse spiders don't discriminate between homes and stores. And where was that stuff kept in the interim two days, and was it unboxed when you got it home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas