Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:06 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,769 times

Advertisements

If you think Dallas is bad, you haven't seen Houston, exponentially worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I disagree. I lived there for 7 years and don't recall anything near what I've experienced here.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:21 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,362 times
try livin here in WV and then tell me the roads in DFW are bad...everytime I come back home to visit (Denton) the wide and for the most part smooth roads are one of the things I look forward to, along with Taco Bueno and Whataburger lol....

Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 PM

298 posts, read 416,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
That doesn't matter. It all comes out of our share of total state or federal dollars -- the money available to Dallas. If we weren't spending it on a fancy looking bridge, we could spend it on things we actually need, like paving the damn roads.

I was generous with just saying $100 million+ btw. The Morning News pegged the final price at $182 million (paywall). That's just, oh, $150 million more than a "normal" state highway bridge would have cost. You're right that private donations covered a very small chunk of this luxury purchase.

I mean yeah, it's pretty to look at. But is it more important than having halfway decent streets?
If I'm not mistaken, the money from TxDOT is not available to Dallas. So, if they decide to spend that money on the MHH, Dallas isn't to blame for that.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:16 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I disagree. I lived there for 7 years and don't recall anything near what I've experienced here.
When did you move? In a calendar year (so including 2016), I spent about ~100 days in Houston

Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
One problem is the roads are typically repaired as cheap as possible. And built the same way. To build a road or highway that will last, it would cost 3 or 4 times as much as we spend. There is simply not enough in the budget of the state (cities and counties as well) to spend the money necessary to build roads that will last longer than 10 - 15 years. By then, TxDot is ready to completely ready to reconstruct and widen the highway anyway due to growth.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:32 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
Dallas does have some terrible roads. Houston's are pretty bad too, maybe a little better, but not much. Austin and SA seem to do a somewhat better job.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:54 PM

379 posts, read 366,578 times
My neighborhood's roads are atrocious. The city (Dallas) started working on them last fall then stopped. The word on the street (no pun intended) is that they ran into a problem with the water main and that has to be fixed first before they can repair the roads. We have potholes that could swallow a toddler.

I go to Houston a couple of times a year and I haven't seen any as bad as in my neighborhood in Far North Dallas. We still have construction cones and loose gravel piled up from the repairs that were started almost a year ago but never finished. I should probably stop being lazy and complain to someone, but I know others in my neighborhood already have.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM

241 posts, read 381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I lived in the Houston area for 24 years and have lived in the DFW area for about 17. In either case, it depends upon where you drive. Poorer or older areas tend to have poorer roads. The main city has has poorer roads. Newer burbs seem to have much better roads (duh). Driving from the newer areas of Frisco to work in Downtown Dallas I see that change. I watched areas of Southwest Houston go from middle class to lower income areas and saw that transformation in the roads. Parts of Missouri City are just as bad or worse than Downtown Dallas. It all depends on where you are in each city.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 AM

117 posts, read 193,528 times
Well at least the roads in Preston Hollow are as bad anywhere. I drive down Walnut Hill daily and it's horrendous...3rd world bad. When i moved here 4 years ago from Nashville i sold my nice sports car because the roads were tearing it up. TN has some of the nicest roads and interstates you'll ever see in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas