Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM

533 posts, read 643,475 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I'm sure many of you got pummeled with the hail storm last night. I live in Plano and it came down pretty hard for us. The immediate thought, as I saw it come down, was the potential damage to my roof. I don't even know if there is any but I'd like to know sooner than later. What is the right way to get started on the assessment though?

Option A: Call one or two reputed roofing companies first to assess if there was any damage OR
Option B: Call the insurance company first to have an adjuster come out and assess the roof

With Option A, would the insurance company complain that I should have reach out to them first- if later I were to file a claim?

With Option B, would I officially get a claim on my record even if nothing gets paid out and possibly impact my record in a negative way?

I am posting this is the Dallas forum because I'd like to get local opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM

216 posts, read 280,543 times
I believe it would impact your record in a negative way. I had filed a claim on my renter's insurance for spoiled food during Hurricane Sandy and prior to that I thought I had some roof damage (Fort Worth, TX) and when I applied for homeowner's insurance through Nationwide they denied me because of my claims, which was odd to me.

ETA: There was no roof damage and nothing was ever paid out for that claim.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSoonerGuy View Post
I believe it would impact your record in a negative way. I had filed a claim on my renter's insurance for spoiled food during Hurricane Sandy and prior to that I thought I had some roof damage (Fort Worth, TX) and when I applied for homeowner's insurance through Nationwide they denied me because of my claims, which was odd to me.

This is what scares me because the previous owners of my current home had filed two claims in last 7 years (1 was a zero dollar claim though). If it is a roof repair job only, I'd rather shell out my deductible and not file a claim at all. It is a 11 year old roof though.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 AM

216 posts, read 280,543 times
I would probably go with Option A.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 AM

119 posts, read 191,969 times
IMO Option A is better: you can find out whether you need any repairs and their approximate cost before your insurance company learns anything. Contractors are not required to report your roof damages to the insurance, this is your duty and you would be better informed if you already had contractor's estimate.

With option B you will definitely have a claim on your record, although it may not affect you much if it ends up being a zero payment claim.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
The best option, as I went thru this last year in the big hail storm, is to call a reputable roofer first to make sure there is damage. Then, when you call your insurance, you want to let them know that you want your roofer present when the adjuster comes over. That way, the roofer can ensure a complete replacement instead of a partial replacement. The roofer will point things out that the adjuster might want to overlook.

Also, if you get a roofer who is actually a contracting company where they do all the fixes too, like gutters, windows, screens, etc... having the person there with the adjuster will help ensure everything gets put on the claim.

I got a new garage door because there was a dent in three different panels. My husband didn't think it was worth it, but we got a better, more insulated door than we had, and it didn't cost us anything extra because it's still all under the deductible. We got several screens, gutters, 1 window, and 2 sides of our house trim and two exterior doors painted. I don't think the adjuster would have cared or noticed the dents in the facia and trim. My roofer is a general contractor so he noticed it all.

We also got credit for a new grill cover because hail hit it so hard it got a hole. We got credit for 2 new wicker chairs and 2 new, huge planters that got the hell chipped out of them. If you call just a roofer, all they really care about is the roof.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Great suggestions! Thank you. I will start looking into reputable roofing companies/general contractors now.
@FalconheadWest - do you have any recommendations that can send via DM?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Great suggestions! Thank you. I will start looking into reputable roofing companies/general contractors now.
@FalconheadWest - do you have any recommendations that can send via DM?
I sent a DM per your request.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM

477 posts, read 1,052,285 times
Here's what I was told by a friend in the insurance biz. For "Act of Nature" claims your insurance company cannot single you out and raise your rates. The hail storm was beyond your control. What they will do, is preemptively raise rates by zip codes affected by a storm in anticipation of claims. So regardless of whether or not you make a claim, your rates will most likely go up.
With that being said, I wouldn't be afraid to file a claim if needed b/c you think they'll raise your rates. Chances are that's going to happen anyway.

I called a roofer this morning and he said we have no hail damage. I'd definitely call a reputable roofer before the insurance company to perform what should be a free inspection. They can then handle most of the insurance stuff and make sure you get everything you need.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Thank you all again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas