Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 9,528 times

Advertisements

My hubby visited TX this past weekend and liked the Dalllas area but there is one thing, he loves Las Colinas / Irving but he found that there were a few Indian people who were not nice.

He called to book a hotel room about a half hour before he arrived the guy on the phone was nice enough told him they had room and made a reservation. My husband is African American, when he went to check in the guy (same one he booked with) told him they were sold out. My husband went to the cae and drove around the corner, he called back to see if they had rooms available to man at the counter said yes and my hubby told him he was the gentleman who was just in there and guy said there were no rooms. The guy stumbled over his words my hubby told him he shouldnt treat people so nasty and hung up. After this he went online and saw some review s that said the Indians that ran that hotel/motel were not nice to black ppl (he should have read this before hand)

The 2nd incident is he was driving looking for the airport his phone had just died and he asked 3 indian men who were standing on the corner if they could tell him the way, one guy threw up his hand and said rudely "go that way down there" when my husband inquired more the guy just kept saying "go that way" as if he was annoyed someone asked him a question.

Is this a common thing in coppell and irving area? We are leaving AZ in large due to my kids being ostracised for being black, little girls tell my daughter the wouldnt want to be her color, girls used to tell her she had crazy hair (afro) and wouldnt play with her. My boys have been told they cant play because they are black these are small kids all under the age of 8 whose parents obviously arent doing a good job teaching thier children manners. The hispanic and caucasian kids here are pretty mean. I am hoping Dallas will be kinder so my husband having these experiences makes me nervous

Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,388,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedance858 View Post
My hubby visited TX this past weekend and liked the Dalllas area but there is one thing, he loves Las Colinas / Irving but he found that there were a few Indian people who were not nice.

He called to book a hotel room about a half hour before he arrived the guy on the phone was nice enough told him they had room and made a reservation. My husband is African American, when he went to check in the guy (same one he booked with) told him they were sold out. My husband went to the cae and drove around the corner, he called back to see if they had rooms available to man at the counter said yes and my hubby told him he was the gentleman who was just in there and guy said there were no rooms. The guy stumbled over his words my hubby told him he shouldnt treat people so nasty and hung up. After this he went online and saw some review s that said the Indians that ran that hotel/motel were not nice to black ppl (he should have read this before hand)

The 2nd incident is he was driving looking for the airport his phone had just died and he asked 3 indian men who were standing on the corner if they could tell him the way, one guy threw up his hand and said rudely "go that way down there" when my husband inquired more the guy just kept saying "go that way" as if he was annoyed someone asked him a question.

Is this a common thing in coppell and irving area? We are leaving AZ in large due to my kids being ostracised for being black, little girls tell my daughter the wouldnt want to be her color, girls used to tell her she had crazy hair (afro) and wouldnt play with her. My boys have been told they cant play because they are black these are small kids all under the age of 8 whose parents obviously arent doing a good job teaching thier children manners. The hispanic and caucasian kids here are pretty mean. I am hoping Dallas will be kinder so my husband having these experiences makes me nervous
First of all, sorry that your family has been treated poorly because of color. That is unacceptable. Second, I think all cultures can be different. Regarding your second incident, I don't think that was racist as much as the guy likely had language issues and was frustrated because of it.

Hotel clerks can be a surly group.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedance858 View Post

I am very sorry this happened to your family.

I am not black (or Indian) so I cannot speak to the black or Indian experience in Dallas but I do have black friends and coworkers who have shared stories of discrimination with me. The impression I get from them is that they experience a lot less of it in Dallas than they did in other areas. They have stated that they experience it more frequently from some groups (mainly immigrant groups) than from others.

Additionally, please do not interpret the behavior of immigrant groups in western Dallas county as being indicative of the area as a whole. Some immigrant groups, particularly Asians, south Asians, and Hispanics, are stereotyped as being bigoted towards black people. As with all stereotypes, some individuals will be the stereotype while others will not be.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,178,322 times
People around here care more about your class than your color. There's exceptions to this of course, but the Dallas area is such a melting pot these days, that blatant racism is pretty uncommon.

If anything, I'd say the demographic looked down upon the most in the area is Hispanics, owing to the large number of illegals in the state.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 AM

631 posts, read 875,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
People around here care more about your class than your color. There's exceptions to this of course, but the Dallas area is such a melting pot these days, that blatant racism is pretty uncommon.

If anything, I'd say the demographic looked down upon the most in the area is Hispanics, owing to the large number of illegals in the state.
Well part of OP's husband's problem is that people can't necessarily tell his "class" from an encounter over the phone, or from a brief face to face meeting where he's just asking directions. He could drive around all the time dressed like Steve Harvey, but it's pretty hot outside to be doing that.

Last edited by aggie972; 07-05-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,127,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Additionally, please do not interpret the behavior of immigrant groups in western Dallas county as being indicative of the area as a whole.
This. Now there is no way OP's husband would have known this on his brief trip, but the Las Colinas/ Valley Ranch area is well known as being a destination for Indians who prefer living in Little India, not assimilating into American culture. Some are only here on short term work contracts which makes more sense, but many have actually immigrated here and still don't want to assimilate.

India is a beautiful country but if you've ever been there you realize how many racial issues they have.

I'm not in any way excusing their behavior, just trying to provide context to the part of the metroplex Op's husband was in, and again to echo BigD's comment, please don't interpret immigrant behavior as indicative of the whole metroplex.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,650,102 times
I'm white and I've dealt with my fair share of rude Indian hotel and gas station owners.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm white and I've dealt with my fair share of rude Indian hotel and gas station owners.
Me too. I'm white and I'm treated differently (i.e. poorly) by some Indian clerks/business owners/colleagues. Not all of them. Just some.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:42 AM

371 posts, read 550,533 times
OP - I would strongly recommend against making generalized assumptions about racism/the Indian community/DFW metroplex based on these 2 datapoints.

And TC80 - assimilation issues are not specific to the Indian community in this country. And assimilation works both ways....

Old 07-05-2016, 12:21 PM

23,990 posts, read 10,350,367 times
Have you ever tried to have a conversation with the average Indian Dot person? Try it!

Some front desk clerk overbooked, some Indian does not know how to give directions and the good ol' race card comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas