Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Stockholm Syndrome at its finest.
I wish I could rep you for that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:24 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Before you commit to Southlake I would do the commute to Dallas. The traffic getting out of Southlake is often very unpleasant. We were faced with your problem and we chose to buy a high end home in a more affordable area and send our kids to private school. Private school has a reputation for snobbery but I've found the parents at the one our kids attend to much more down to earth than the ones in Southlake and HP. I have not desire to buy my kids luxury cars when they turn 16 just so they feel on par with their friends. I had to earn mine so I think they should too. They are also attending smaller classes and are given options such as skipping grades in individual subjects that even excellent public schools often can't offer. Not all private schools offer the lack of snobbery our's does though. Some are even more elitist than UP and Southlake.

As for summer camp, my kids go to Camp El Tesoro. It's much cheaper, well regarded, and the kids love it. The camp has been run by Camp Fire since the 1930s. I also like the fact that it's a nonprofit camp.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,021 times
I think Turtle Creek 80...pretty much got it right.
My first thought is Southlake is probably a good fit.
Maybe depends on how much hunting, fishing, outdoors stuff you do.
Flower Mound or Coppell might be options for you too.
Park Cities is older money and $1mil gets you started in Park Cities.
at $1mil in Southlake you'll have a lot of choices.
You'll be at the upper end of things in Coppell and Flower Mound.
I think at $1mil in Colleyville you'll get a different kind of neighborhood and house.
maybe 2-3 acres, but you may not like the schools as much.

You've got a lot of choices on great public schools. There are also FREE charter schools that you might consider.
There are probably a limited amount of private schools you want to consider.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM

631 posts, read 884,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's not that hot in DFW. It hardly ever gets above 105.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Stockholm Syndrome at its finest.
Man, no kidding. 105 is miserable. I don't want to be outside unless I'm in a pool. It doesn't help me to know that it's 115 in Phoenix, it's still hot enough that I want to stay indoors.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Man, no kidding. 105 is miserable. I don't want to be outside unless I'm in a pool. It doesn't help me to know that it's 115 in Phoenix, it's still hot enough that I want to stay indoors.
I agree, this weather is THE SUCK.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We've been looking for a new place to live for a while now. Affordablility and convenience are big factors. Unless its San Diego or along the Mediterranean in Spain or Italy, one will have either 3 months of very cold or 3 months of very hot. Life ain't perfect.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We've been looking for a new place to live for a while now. Affordablility and convenience are big factors. Unless its San Diego or along the Mediterranean in Spain or Italy, one will have either 3 months of very cold or 3 months of very hot. Life ain't perfect.
No, but it can be better than it is here.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
I lived in Missouri and Iowa and was getting tired of the long, cold winters.

But now that I've lived in North Texas, I realize that I much prefer the cold. At least I could function outside in the winter.

I'm still looking for a Utopia that has fall/spring weather all year long.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:32 PM

49 posts, read 68,059 times
Quote:
I guess you guys don't come up north much in the winter?????

I guess weather is personal, but we are moving to Dallas FOR the weather! I rather take 105 deg and jump in the pool than 5 months of -30 deg (yes, minus 30, not windchill) and snow. I guess grass is always greener... I probably will wish I'm in Minnesota on those 105 deg days though....

Thanks all for the great info!

I think we will head down there before we move and check out the places, but since schools are our #1 priority I think Southlake is our top choice! #2 school district in Dallas (from what I've been reading) but still "affordable" compared to Park Cities. I think its a good compromise.

The only thing I have now been hearing is that only the top 10% of each school gets to go to UT public school for free or something?

Maybe it's better to be a somewhat smart kid in a crappy school, than a not quite smart enough kid in a top school? Hmmmm...... Is this true? If your 89th percent rank at a great school and your grades and SAT's are top notch, UT will rather take a 91% rank person with lower grades from a lower quality school?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:45 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
We had weeks and weeks of 60s 70s and 80s this year. I don't care for the 100s though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas