U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM

16,931 posts, read 2,174,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved in to my apartment in Arlington in April. My rent is around $925 for a 1br (varies depending on water and sewer charges). I checked the apartment's website today and the same unit is currently renting for $1025 (which will be at least $1050 after water and sewer). It's freaking ridiculous that rent has gone up over $100 in less than a year. My complex was built in the 80s and is really nothing special. It's not fancy, but not run down either. Maybe it's the time of year causing the price shift, but you'd think that spring and early summer is a more popular time to move than late summer and early fall.

At this rate, I'll need a raise of at least $1,500 every year to be able to afford to live in this area and maintain my current lifestyle. We all know this will never happen.
Were you not on your way to Delaware?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 AM

5,332 posts, read 3,935,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Were you not on your way to Delaware?
I applied for a job there. The posting closes today, so I'm guessing they'll start making calls soon. The posted salary is exactly what people in my field commonly earn.

I've realized that most of my irritation with DFW is because I'm getting screwed on my salary. I got a small increase over what I was making in Kansas City, but in reality I lost money because it costs me almost double to live here. I guess I was so happy to not be teaching high school any more than my judgement was clouded.

Sure, there are some things that annoy me about the area, but I could probably live with them if I made a decent wage. Every day I come home to my $900 apartment with a tiny kitchen, I am reminded about how much I'm getting screwed. My apartment in Kansas City was close to double the size as my current place, yet the rent was $750.

My coworker (who has been there 5 years) makes less than I do. I seriously don't understand how she affords to live on her own in Grapevine on her salary.

Don't even get me started on the fact that it takes me 30 minutes (5 mi away) to get to work some mornings because of godawful traffic in town.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,569,682 times
Great thread with lots of helpful info to compare to how Dallas was a couple years ago and how it is now and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near close to slowing down.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 PM

779 posts, read 2,093,331 times
Interesting....

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-place-anymore

Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,179,428 times
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...source=Twitter

Higher prices. Fewer choices. 7 figure homes selling fast. 200-450k you're screwed.

Paste the link in an incognito tab to bypass paywall.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:56 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,617,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post

Higher prices. Fewer choices. 7 figure homes selling fast. 200-450k you're screwed.

That worked

I don't know about the markets in other parts of town, but Richardson is insane right now. A move-in ready house (i.e. one that doesn't need cosmetic updates) will sell in 24 hours with 20+ offers.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 AM

1,832 posts, read 2,699,928 times
The answer is yes.. But it's not unique to Dallas, DFW or Texas.. Its the whole southern tier of the country especially the cities which are booming from NC to Arizona.. and the west is and has been pricey. the only exceptions are the states with limited economic bases to draw for employment. Mississippi (still the worst state in the union is so many metrics) alabama to some extent, parts of arkansas and louisiana.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 AM

22,374 posts, read 6,088,937 times
the answer is yes....Dallas is becoming more pricey....its all supply and demand.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 AM

3,380 posts, read 2,470,670 times
Quote:

Yep, it'll be interesting to see just how competitive the market is this spring/summer. I always keep myself informed of local trends for homes, $/sq ft, etc, and they just keep pushing higher. I'd say that 2013/2014, you could still buy a nice home in the northern suburbs and stay at $100/sq ft or below. Those days are gone.

On another note, if you're using Firefox and you want to view a story from Dallas Morning News, all you have to do is let the page load up (the paywall loads up immediately after) hit refresh, and then stop the refresh. It will load the page, but stop before the paywall loads again, and you can read the article.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:22 AM

548 posts, read 662,562 times
Quote:

Interesting that the Southern suburbs saw such a large appreciation. Maybe this is the start of a big change there. I've always felt its inevitable, just hard to say exactly when. Commuting from there to somewhere like legacy would be murder though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas