Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

Lived here for 17 years and still not used to it. One of the main reasons I'm moving is because of the heat/humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 02:46 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
what - you have kids, and bought a place with no trees ?
What's your point? That if my kids play beneath a tree the temp's only 101 instead of 103?

Old 08-27-2016, 04:32 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
Dallas-Forth Worth metro area population is 7 million. Obviously, heat is not much of a problem to many. AC is necessary as mentioned.

Southern California/Nevada desert area can get up to over 50 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Fahrenheit). I think there are still population in death valley. When I traveled to San Diego, the morning TV show had 2 high temperature forecasts: 120 in the desert, 85 in the city.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
The longer I live here, the more I realize that it's not the heat, but the intensity and duration.

I can deal with 100 degree days no problem. We had them in every state I've ever lived in. However, they did not last several weeks at a time.

The other big change for me has been the length of the hot weather. As I check the weather in Kansas City (where I moved from), I remembered that around the time school starts back in late August, the nights become cooler, and the highs are never above 90 degrees any more. The highs in KC for the next week are in the low and mid 80s. Here in DFW, highs are in the 90s.

Finally, heat at night has been a big negative for me. In Missouri, after the sun sets, you can go out for a walk. It's still hot, but it's not 90 degrees at midnight like it is in DFW.

But I survived summer. Or at least the hottest part of it. It feels like it went by quickly, but when I think back to June, it feels like it's been an eternity. I honestly don't think I could cope with another North Texas summer.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
When it is 100+ degrees out, all the shade in the world doesn't make it enjoyable being outside. It only makes it slightly less miserable.
Anyone who enjoys being outside in the 100+ degree heat is an anomaly, not the norm.
I'm beginning to believe (sadly) that you are correct (about me & my kiddos being and 'anomaly, not the norm')...
Seems most will prefer to sit the whole day on the couch in the ac in front of the TV or playstation, regardless of what is going on outside.... sigh!

From an early age, we handed down to our kiddos (as our parents did) appreciation of the outdoors, in all its splendor. There are uncountable things in nature you can only experience, directly from the source, in the hottest part of the day - certain activities of butterflies or dragonflies for example, or honeybees cooling the hive, etc etc. Better yet when you're 20 or 30 feet up in a tree! Sure, only a fool would try to stand in the direct sunlight for hours on a 100deg + day, or try to 'run a marathon' just the same even in the shade. So sad if your list of all possible actives preclude you from experiencing what occurs during 1/4 of the day in approx 1/4 of the world (places & times it gets 'hot'). For me, it has paid off in spades - the outdoors has incentivised (sp?) ALL 5 of my kiddos to exercise thru continuous activity not only their bodies, but their minds as well. I don't need any affirmation on our philosophy from anyone on this forum - just hoping to share something that has worked in our family (and has helped our three oldest so far into full-college scholarships at private college - something they would not have earned sitting in the AC in front of a TV or texting all day! )

Last edited by oldoak2000; 08-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
I just moved to Dallas in February. Rounding out my first summer here now. This was a very average summer for Dallas statistically and I didn't find it bad at all. I've lived in NY > NC > SC before here.

Yeah, it's hot. It's summer. But there is a breeze often and the shade makes an enormous difference. I still walked to and from the train stop most days and still used my bike as my main form of transport outside of work. Also took a daily afternoon walk from my building to the Joule hotel for coffee.

Yes, extended exercise in direct sun was very warm. Outside of that, I didn't notice a big difference. One reason is that it doesn't really feel that humid to me here after being on the east coast most my life.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:27 PM

24,547 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The longer I live here, the more I realize that it's not the heat, but the intensity and duration.

I can deal with 100 degree days no problem. We had them in every state I've ever lived in. However, they did not last several weeks at a time.

The other big change for me has been the length of the hot weather. As I check the weather in Kansas City (where I moved from), I remembered that around the time school starts back in late August, the nights become cooler, and the highs are never above 90 degrees any more. The highs in KC for the next week are in the low and mid 80s. Here in DFW, highs are in the 90s.

Finally, heat at night has been a big negative for me. In Missouri, after the sun sets, you can go out for a walk. It's still hot, but it's not 90 degrees at midnight like it is in DFW.

But I survived summer. Or at least the hottest part of it. It feels like it went by quickly, but when I think back to June, it feels like it's been an eternity. I honestly don't think I could cope with another North Texas summer.
You have not been in DFW for a year yet and summer 2016 has been a very moderate one. When blizzards and black ice hits you will remember those hot nights fondly. Especially when power goes out.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have not been in DFW for a year yet and summer 2016 has been a very moderate one. When blizzards and black ice hits you will remember those hot nights fondly. Especially when power goes out.
Blizzards in DFW? Really? People I work with keep telling me about the cold weather here. I just laugh at them. I checked historical data for DFW and this area had lows of 30-50 degrees in January and February. Remove the zero from the end of 30 and those are often the lows in Iowa! If we had a 30 degree day, that felt like summer sports weather.

I love winter weather. I lived in Iowa and Missouri for several years. I remember one time going to the shooting range in negative temperatures with snow still on the ground. The shooting range path had not been plowed. It was enough snow that my little Toyota was scraping on the snow. Luckily the gravel and snow tires provided some traction.

When I taught high school, I had to stand outside in front of the school and greet students for two weeks out of the year. Since I was a new teacher, I always got dumped into two weeks in winter. It was super cold, but was bearable for 15-20 minutes with proper clothing. If I was standing outside in the Texas heat for 15-20 minutes, I would have needed a shower and some serious sunscreen.

If this summer has been moderate, I don't even want to imagine a real Texas summer. God I need to move somewhere with a cooler climate. Hopefully this job in Delaware will work out for me.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:12 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
This has been a very moderate summer. It's highly unusual that the last few weeks of August aren't a blazing furnace every day.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
My car shows 78F right now. At the end of August in Dallas at 5:51pm. Without looking at statistics this feels like the coldest summer in my 18 years of living in the metroplex. If one thinks that the "summer" of 2016 is unbearably hot then Dallas is definitely the wrong place to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas