Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times

Advertisements

Possible job opportunity near Dallas Baptist University.

I assume traffic would be bad coming from the north burbs. I've read mixed opinions in past threads about Duncanville. How about Grand Prairie or Arlington south of I-20? What is traffic like on I-20 eastbound AM, westbound PM?

Single guy, no kids. Would be looking to rent an apartment. My main priority would be good sidewalks or trails on streets with lower traffic (I'm a runner). Walking distance to a grocery store or dollar store would be a plus but I don't care much about other shopping or nightlife. Quiet, safe, and cheap

Just curious: what is the geology of the hills east of Mountain Creek & Joe Pool Lakes? It looks quite different from other parts of the DFW area, on StreetView anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 10:38 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I’d recommend zip code 76017.... a bit of a distance but safe and some reasonable pricing.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’d recommend zip code 76017.... a bit of a distance but safe and some reasonable pricing.
That distance would be okay with me at freeway speeds but not with slow traffic. Is I-20 usually clear of slowdowns?

Which of my criteria led you to recommend 76017 over 76018 or 75052? I probably shouldn't have said "cheap", that would be a plus but there's zero way this move is happening if the pay isn't right

Old 06-03-2020, 06:51 AM

516 posts, read 450,963 times
I agree that moving to the northern suburbs would be ridiculous if your job is by DBU. I don't have any knowledge on the areas where apartments may be located nearby and what they are like. However, based on very general knowledge, I have worked with people that live in Duncanville, Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Waxahachie (furthest away) and they all enjoyed these cities. My hairdresser and her spouse just bought a house in Duncanville and have said the people are friendly and the neighborhood they are in is quiet. I have commuted on I-20 from Fort Worth to Dallas several times coming home from work. The traffic seems to be lighter than I-30 on the average day. It is at it's heaviest in Fort Worth and then as you get closer to Dallas. Dallas proper around DBU will have less amenities. Unfortunately, southern Dallas is somewhat of a food desert. However, it's slowly changing.

The terrain of this part of DFW is very pretty with rolling hills. The DBU campus is actually quite nice to look at.

Do you have an opportunity to drive around the areas you may be interested in?

I also do want to point out if you happen to look in that direction - The City of Dallas will be building a new deck park on top of I-35 next to their zoo fairly soon. Therefore, this will create traffic in that area. Also, a lot of land is being bought up over there as it is an untapped area for development. So, there may be a lot of construction going on at that part of the highway coming up for a long time. That may prolong any commute depending on how long you stay here.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
I agree that moving to the northern suburbs would be ridiculous if your job is by DBU. I don't have any knowledge on the areas where apartments may be located nearby and what they are like. However, based on very general knowledge, I have worked with people that live in Duncanville, Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Waxahachie (furthest away) and they all enjoyed these cities. My hairdresser and her spouse just bought a house in Duncanville and have said the people are friendly and the neighborhood they are in is quiet. I have commuted on I-20 from Fort Worth to Dallas several times coming home from work. The traffic seems to be lighter than I-30 on the average day. It is at it's heaviest in Fort Worth and then as you get closer to Dallas. Dallas proper around DBU will have less amenities. Unfortunately, southern Dallas is somewhat of a food desert. However, it's slowly changing.
https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/im...lies/smile.gif
The terrain of this part of DFW is very pretty with rolling hills. The DBU campus is actually quite nice to look at.

Do you have an opportunity to drive around the areas you may be interested in?

I also do want to point out if you happen to look in that direction - The City of Dallas will be building a new deck park on top of I-35 next to their zoo fairly soon. Therefore, this will create traffic in that area. Also, a lot of land is being bought up over there as it is an untapped area for development. So, there may be a lot of construction going on at that part of the highway coming up for a long time. That may prolong any commute depending on how long you stay here.
Great post.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
I would look in the Martin High School attendance zone in Arlington or Mansfield.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:13 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
That distance would be okay with me at freeway speeds but not with slow traffic. Is I-20 usually clear of slowdowns?

Which of my criteria led you to recommend 76017 over 76018 or 75052? I probably shouldn't have said "cheap", that would be a plus but there's zero way this move is happening if the pay isn't right
Both Soccernerd and I recommend the same area (which is the Martin HS attendance zone and also includes zip 76016) because you asked for SAFE. Cheaper is 76018 and probably also pretty safe, just not as pretty or shady for bike riding and running and filled with tons and tons of families renting ticky-tak boxie houses. 75052 has a higher crime rate, I believe.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:16 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I agree with looking in 76017. South Arlington is nice and has lots of restaurants and shopping options. It will be a quick commute to your work, too.

75052 is not as nice (higher crime), and it doesn't have as many food options. 75050 is even less nice.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:21 PM

Thanks, these are helpful responses!

No, unfortunately traveling and driving around isn't an option for the time being.

Any thoughts on Cedar Hill?

Also, I'm surprised how expensive apartments are relative to renting houses in the nicer areas like 76017. It seems like there are a lot of houses for rent!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
You are correct that apartment rent at the nicer complexes in Dallas is usually close to the same as a rental house. The big difference is if you want the larger space of a house, or if you'd prefer the amenities that some of the nicer apartment complexes offer.

Cedar Hill is nice. it also has a lot of restaurants and shopping. It is further away from big entertainment venues, but if you're just looking for peace and quiet, it will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas