Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 29,261 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how competitive the housing market is in Providence Village. It's in my price range but it seems like a pretty exclusive place to me (mind you, I'm coming from NY so a place like Providence Village is millionaire territory over here ).
Also, would you recommend it for a same sex couple who will be having kids in a few years? I'm not looking for a "live and let live" community where people are just polite enough not to mention us being gay. We want to be included and feel like we have friends, and that our kids won't be singled out as well. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 01:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,559,077 times
Are you talking about the master-planned community of Providence, north of Hwy 380? If so, and if by "exclusive" you mean "higher income" or "snooty" then no, it's not exclusive. It's pretty much an affordable bedroom community, with fun amenities.
Many of the residents of Providence, and its sister community, Savannah, are young families.
Some buy their houses using income-qualified, USDA-backed home loans, so they don't have to put down a deposit.
Both Providence and Savannah are still offering new homes.
Much of the architecture is VERY different from the traditional brick and stone of the metroplex.

Just be sure before you buy that you won't be too far from where you work. The traffic on Highway 380 is becoming ridiculous, with all the construction and new shopping going in. Plus the ever-present construction on I-35.

As far as the gay issue is concerned, I know I wouldn't have any issues with it. But we do have some conservative people around. Curious to see what other comments will say about this...

Old 07-22-2016, 02:37 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,153,119 times
I live close-ish to this area and I don't think I would use the word "exclusive" for it. It's a unique community in terms of it's architecture, style, and amenities, but that's about it. The price range is typically lower than what you would find in neighboring towns like Prosper or Frisco.

Where are you commuting to, because 380 sucks and it will only get worse when they begin widening it to 3 lanes each way. In general 380 has a feel that I can't quite put my finger on. It's just not the same as driving up and down Preston or any other road in some of the other areas close by. Maybe it's the layout or the way the businesses are just lined up? I don't know. I've seen tons of businesses come and go along that stretch of road and even though there are new neighborhoods coming in, it just seems lackluster or disappointing.

Also, you'll probably have to drive to Denton or Frisco for most of your shopping beyond going to Wal-Mart or CVS/Walgreens.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm6309 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how competitive the housing market is in Providence Village. It's in my price range but it seems like a pretty exclusive place to me (mind you, I'm coming from NY so a place like Providence Village is millionaire territory over here ).
Also, would you recommend it for a same sex couple who will be having kids in a few years? I'm not looking for a "live and let live" community where people are just polite enough not to mention us being gay. We want to be included and feel like we have friends, and that our kids won't be singled out as well. Thanks so much!
The honest truth is that Providence (and nearby Savannah) are master-planned bedroom communities. They are not exclusive at all, and in no way compare to the exclusive hamlets in Westchester or Rye counties that you may be comparing. Home prices are below average for the area and the location is fairly remote. You would not want to work anywhere further away than Denton or far North Plano (121 & Legacy area) if you don't want to spend 2+ hours a day commuting. Do you know where you'll be working? If you like the architecture of Providence, you may want to look into Tucker Hill on the McKinney/Prosper border. It's a higher price point though.

I don't know how many gay families are there. I don't have personal experience with Providence but do know some people from the surrounding small towns around Denton (Aubrey, etc) who are unfortunately pretty "small town Texas minded" (i.e., racist, gun-loving, Trump-loving homophobes). I recommend spending several days visiting the area and maybe consider renting before buying just to be sure. I feel more confident recommending the larger Collin County suburbs like Plano and Frisco where I know gay families who love their neighborhoods, schools, etc. Those suburbs are much more diverse in general than the outlying bedroom communities. Half of CoCo moved here from California or a foreign country so totally different than small town Texas.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 AM

816 posts, read 912,698 times
I would estimate the Californian population of CoCo at 5% max.

My wife and I really liked the appearance of Savannah and Providence Village, but we had some walkability requirements and wound up in McKinney. I got stuck in a big traffic mess on 380 east of Savannah before the DNT so I agree that it is a concern. There are some homes similar to PV appearance in the Village Park area of McKinney. That might work out for distance.

Last edited by Beardown91737; 07-23-2016 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: hit enter instead of carriage return

Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Are you talking about the master-planned community of Providence, north of Hwy 380? If so, and if by "exclusive" you mean "higher income" or "snooty" then no, it's not exclusive. It's pretty much an affordable bedroom community, with fun amenities.
Many of the residents of Providence, and its sister community, Savannah, are young families.
Some buy their houses using income-qualified, USDA-backed home loans, so they don't have to put down a deposit.
Both Providence and Savannah are still offering new homes.
Much of the architecture is VERY different from the traditional brick and stone of the metroplex.

Just be sure before you buy that you won't be too far from where you work. The traffic on Highway 380 is becoming ridiculous, with all the construction and new shopping going in. Plus the ever-present construction on I-35.

As far as the gay issue is concerned, I know I wouldn't have any issues with it. But we do have some conservative people around. Curious to see what other comments will say about this...
Yeah, you answered my question exactly. If there was a community like this in Westchester NY or Long Island NY it would be pretty obvious that I don't belong there as far as income and social class goes...and people sometimes go out of their way to make it pretty obvious. It just really amazes me how well you can live in the South and South West as a middle class family. Very awesome to say the least . Also, I haven't applied to jobs yet because I haven't graduated college yet. But I'll have a bachelors in marketing which I'm assuming will place me somewhere in Dallas because cities are usually the place to go. Do you think the commute is worth it?
I'm aware of some of the suburbs around Dallas but I like towns with a more rural feel. Plus, Providence Village homes look just like NY homes which I love .

Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I live close-ish to this area and I don't think I would use the word "exclusive" for it. It's a unique community in terms of it's architecture, style, and amenities, but that's about it. The price range is typically lower than what you would find in neighboring towns like Prosper or Frisco.

Where are you commuting to, because 380 sucks and it will only get worse when they begin widening it to 3 lanes each way. In general 380 has a feel that I can't quite put my finger on. It's just not the same as driving up and down Preston or any other road in some of the other areas close by. Maybe it's the layout or the way the businesses are just lined up? I don't know. I've seen tons of businesses come and go along that stretch of road and even though there are new neighborhoods coming in, it just seems lackluster or disappointing.

Also, you'll probably have to drive to Denton or Frisco for most of your shopping beyond going to Wal-Mart or CVS/Walgreens.
I don't mind a bit of a drive to stores because growing up in a rural town I did that anyway. Commute to work may be an issue because I don't want to wake up too early to get there or get home long after my shift has ended. I'll be applying for jobs in marketing and business management, so I just kind of assumed my job will be in Dallas. It seems like a fair assumption because marketing jobs aren't that abundant in small towns, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm6309 View Post
Yeah, you answered my question exactly. If there was a community like this in Westchester NY or Long Island NY it would be pretty obvious that I don't belong there as far as income and social class goes...and people sometimes go out of their way to make it pretty obvious. It just really amazes me how well you can live in the South and South West as a middle class family. Very awesome to say the least . Also, I haven't applied to jobs yet because I haven't graduated college yet. But I'll have a bachelors in marketing which I'm assuming will place me somewhere in Dallas because cities are usually the place to go. Do you think the commute is worth it?
I'm aware of some of the suburbs around Dallas but I like towns with a more rural feel. Plus, Providence Village homes look just like NY homes which I love .
1. You REALLY need to come visit before pinning your hopes on Providence.

2. If your job ends up in Dallas proper, you're going to be driving about 3 hours a day to commute and paying about $8-10/day in tolls. Remember that there is no commute train system like in the Tri-State area and the light rail system here doesn't go out that far. Spending an extra $250-300/mo in tolls and extra gas is probably going to take a big chunk out of a new college graduate's salary.

3. My advice is to stop looking at houses and start looking for jobs. Once you have accepted a job offer, come back to the forum and tell us where office is located, how much you want to spend on a house/ rent, and how long (in minutes) you want to commute each direction. Then we can offer suggestions. There are more places than Providence that will likely meet your needs! The DFW metroplex is HUGE- if you placed it on a map of Connecticut, it would cover over 2/3 of the entire state of CT. Don't set your heart on one location unless you want to significantly limit your career options.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM

5,427 posts, read 4,405,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
My advice is to stop looking at houses and start looking for jobs. Once you have accepted a job offer, come back to the forum and tell us where office is located, how much you want to spend on a house/ rent, and how long (in minutes) you want to commute each direction. Don't set your heart on one location unless you want to significantly limit your career options.
While this is good advice, it has its limitations. The key limitation in that job tenures are often shorter than tenures living in a piece of owned property. So one could get a job in DFW, and buy property that is convenient for that commute for that first job, and 2 years later leave that job. They could still be living in that house/condo and the second job in DFW is not convenient to that house/condo. Also, the employer can change office locations, throwing that equation out of whack.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 AM

11,817 posts, read 26,657,615 times
Moving to the far northern edge of the metroplex before even finding a job is just asinine. As TC80 says, you could easily end up wasting both time and money making a long commute down toll roads every day.

FYI: siding houses are uncommon here due to our weather. They do not hold up as well over time in our heat as brick does, and they are also easily damaged by hail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas