Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

You are fine and welcome here, we just wanted to correct some mis conceptions which we hear about so often. I too dont watch CNN. Crews and Bush are conservative and we are too, too many assume conservative means racists etc. It is not so.

Texas is a great place to be free to do what you want with your life and family. We value individuals. We do not rely on the government as they have failed some of us too often. We like business, we like good jobs, we like hard jobs. So business comes here creating economic opportunity if that is your thing.

Again welcome you are fine, we are just use to and tired of the stereo types of CNN and some main stream media types. YMMV but you are an asset we need in our communities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 03:37 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Honestly, you might consider private schools. We are also high income earners and a biracial couple (Indian and Caucasian). We used to live in a solidly middle class neighborhood that was like the United Nations. When we went looking for a higher income neighborhood we noticed they were less racially diverse along with local schools. For a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with diversity we ended deciding to send our sons to a private schools. To our surprise, a lot (not all) of the private schools were more racially diverse than the public schools we would have sent our kids to. The private school our kids go to has a lot of biracial families and is a bubble of racial harmony. I sometimes worry though about how our kids will handle it when they go out into the larger world and realize the larger world isn't always like that.

I don't know about a lot of the areas you mentioned since I don't live there but I antirecommend Southlake. It's quite conservative and much more monochromatic than where you're from.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM

65 posts, read 84,277 times
Just to OP, some of people in this forum are just simply tired of this kind of topic. Every week there're several posts like "we're xxx race, are people in xxx area racist" or "is XXX area good for xxx race", I don't know if every city forum have same kind of topic or only DFW forum? I don't think your post is offensive but because of the reason above people tend to respond in a little defensive way, nobody like their home cities to be judged by people from elsewhere in a negative way...

Back to your question, several of my friends (Africans) are looking for houses right now in the same areas as you mentioned (flower mound, highland village), none of them worried about race issues, I bet they also did some research before house hunting (most of them lived in DFW for several years already), and your budget is higher so you have many more choices in flower mound or highland village areas. For colleyville and grapevine since I don't know anyone who purchased or plan to purchase houses there so no comment on the school. For southlake your budget doesn't give you good room to play with compared to other areas.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:16 PM

10 posts, read 24,562 times
Well again, I'm very sorry my post may have been taken the wrong way.

I'm also sorry it's a repetitive question. I should have researched, before I asked. I didn't realize you were subjected to such.

Again, we're not a race-centered family.

I simply was surprised when I saw the school report cards reported the racial makeup of their schools, and they were not as diverse as I expected them to be.

We may consider going private as the one poster describes a little bubble of diversity which I think would be most beneficial for my children.

I too, am economically conservative, pro-business, strong jobs, Cruz & Co. and I just don't agree on social issues.... but that's a whole other topic. :-)

I appreciate the advice, and sorry to try your patience if I did.

Trust me, my view as an outsider of DFW is that it's extremely diverse. That's why the report card surprised me.

Hopefully Rakin is wrong and DFW is for us. We're pretty excited about the possibility.

I'm flying in tomorrow morning and will visit some of the neighborhoods mentioned here.

Thanks so much for the input.

Last edited by wecnews; 07-23-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
I agree with what most of the posters here have said and also very much in accord with LoveAussie in that people are getting extremely tired of the media and it's need to keep the incessant racial issues (I might add that THEY are the biggest instigators) going.

You sound like a nice young family and I would think you would like it very much in the areas you've mentioned. I'm familiar with the areas, but I do not live there so I will let the ones who do be your guides.

I will say, you sound like you were brought up right, with a good head on your shoulders and I'm sure you will raise your children the same. It is troubling times and I know the kids are going to be talking among themselves (even at the early age of 7) due to overhearing the news and hearing the adults around them discussing all that is going on now. I believe you and your wife have the skills to teach your children how you want them to be and know when to tune out excessive media and the conversations it can evoke.

You say and I quote "My family doesn't see color we really don't". But I'm a young father, and toward the end of the school year my daughter came home upset about things being said to her about her race". Then you say "I just didn't want to pick an house and find out later 10 minutes more in another direction is a neighborhood with great schools, thats safe, in our socioeconomic category and is a have of little kids that look like mine"

I truly hate to see what the media is accomplishing and you seem to be succumbing to it like many others, so here I am sticking my nose into something I shouldn't, but I don't understand why it has to be this way. I venture to say before all of this media exploitation, you would have simply asked us about the home prices, schools, social network for stay at home moms and never gave a second thought to skin color. If by chance I am correct in that, I do hope you can find your way back to that attitude. Again, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the welcoming you will get in these Texas towns you have mentioned and I think you will soon realize your concerns over skin color will be of no consequence in whichever one of these areas you choose.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:24 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
OP, your post, concerns, questions, and research of FACTS is revealing a lot of ugly truths about DFW that a lot of people obviously don't want to hear and want to try to sweep under the rug. I will PM you.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
OP, your post, concerns, questions, and research of FACTS is revealing a lot of ugly truths about DFW that a lot of people obviously don't want to hear and want to try to sweep under the rug. I will PM you.
I'd like to hear more about the ugly truths.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
When you do, bear in mind the areas he is speaking about when you address all of DFW. Also, bear in mind professional career people, education, the lack of chip on the shoulder, you owe me attitude. Remember, the OP asked specifically about certain areas I believe, not the entire DFW.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I'd like to hear more about the ugly truths.
Would you really? I can't tell if you're serious, or are just trolling and trying to get me to bite.

I guess I'll "nibble."

All I will say is that socioeconomics and race are way too closely intertwined for many people to treat one any differently than the other. Especially in a place like Dallas, where most of the black people are on the lower income side of the economic scale and literally are concerntrated mostly in one area of the city and metro (the Southern part). When you have a situation like that, it's inevitable that many people who don't live in the Southern area are going to associate lower socioeconomics with race, and you're eventually going to encounter the problems that come along with that, even if don't live in the South and are higher up on the socioeconomic scale.

With that being said, this is not something that is unique to just DFW in Texas or in most of the rest of the United States, and it is still very diverse, full of opportunity, and is a great place to live for any upwardly mobile individual or family.

I'm not going to argue back and forth with anybody on this. Just felt that this thread needed less denial and deflection and more truth and balance. Peace.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:30 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
Would you really? I can't tell if you're serious, or are just trolling and trying to get me to bite.

I guess I'll "nibble."

All I will say is that socioeconomics and race are way too closely intertwined for many people to treat one any differently than the other. Especially in a place like Dallas, where most of the black people are on the lower income side of the economic scale and literally are concerntrated mostly in one area of the city and metro (the Southern part). When you have a situation like that, it's inevitable that many people who don't live in the Southern area are going to associate lower socioeconomics with race, and you're eventually going to encounter the problems that come along with that, even if don't live in the South and are higher up on the socioeconomic scale.

With that being said, this is not something that is unique to just DFW in Texas or in most of the rest of the United States, and it is still very diverse, full of opportunity, and is a great place to live for any upwardly mobile individual or family.

I'm not going to argue back and forth with anybody on this. Just felt that this thread needed less denial and deflection and more truth and balance. Peace.
I don't disagree with you, but wasn't the whole topic of the thread the concept that DFW is uniquely racist and segregated? I don't think there is any evidence that DFW is more segregated than other metro areas. I actually think it is the opposite.

Look at the diversity in the school systems of suburbs such as Plano, Coppell, McKinney, Richardson, Arlington, Garland, Mesquite, Cedar Hill, Frisco, etc. Does it extend to Highland Park and Southlake? No, but there are plenty of affluent households of all races mixed in throughout the rest of the suburbs I mentioned with children of all races attending high performing schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas