Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM

769 posts, read 782,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't much care for Northpark - it's the 'fancy' store mall but has that awful '60s boring squares modern (shopping in a bus station) architecture feel
Oh no! Blasphemy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM

422 posts, read 523,695 times
The OP probably only found the Galleria because she was focusing on Claire's and that's the only mall in Dallas that has one (according to Google Maps). But plenty of other malls and too many grocery stores too count.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The current trend is toward open air malls, the two newest on the northern end are Firewheel in far north Garland (almost east Plano/east Richardson), Fairview Village on 75 and Stacy and Watters Creek at Bethany and 75 both in Allen (well Fairview is across the street from Allen in Fairview). A similar one is planned in Prosper at Preston and 380. I can't think of a new enclosed mall that has opened in the last decade anywhere, Stonebriar was probably the last we will see.
You know, those open air malls are pretty nice in New England during the spring, summer, and fall. Texas? In August? Not so much. Seems like a bad idea being driven by aesthetics and marketeering rather than function.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know, those open air malls are pretty nice in New England during the spring, summer, and fall. Texas? In August? Not so much. Seems like a bad idea being driven by aesthetics and marketeering rather than function.
I agree. To me Firewheel is a PITA. Half the year it's either too hot or too cold/windy to enjoy it.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Seems like a bad idea being driven by aesthetics and marketeering rather than function.
They are driven by lower common maintenance costs and lower A/C costs. If 10 minutes walking under A/C is worth more to you, then tell your friends and go to any of the malls that offer it. Often.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I'll cut Op some slack since I missed the Claire's comment (OP is probably 12).

There are tons and tons of Claire's stores in DFW:
Allen Premium Outlets, Allen
Claire's inside the Toys R Us just north of NorthPark on 75
Claire's inside the Toys R Us near The Parks Mall in Arlington
Collin Creek Mall, Plano
Firewheel Town Center, Garland
Dallas Galleria
Grapevine Mills Outlet, Grapevine
Irving Mall, Irving
Palms Crossing, Allen
Rockwall Market Center, Rockwall
Southlake Town Square, Southlake
Stonebriar center, Frisco
The Parks at Arlington, Arlington
Willow Bend Mall, Plano
Town East Mall, Mesquite
Trinity Valley Shopping Center, Carrollton
Vista Ridge Mall, Lewisville

...and about 8-10 more that are closer to Fort Worth.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:02 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
There are HEBs planned for DFW - including the corner of Spring Creek and Preston in Plano and others. DFW also has HEB's fancier cousin - Central Market.

Other people may love it but I don't much care for Northpark - it's the 'fancy' store mall but has that awful '60s boring squares modern (shopping in a bus station) architecture feel to it, and that's my personal opinion, but there is no Claires store there, so if you want to shop at Claires you will have to go to Stonebriar in Frisco or Willowbend in Plano.
I disagree. NorthPark's design is timeless....

Other malls in North Texas had designs of their era and had to be updated. When you have a simplistic and clean modern design, there's no need for an update. For example, the Galleria Dallas had to be updated. The previous design would look extremely dated today.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I disagree. NorthPark's design is timeless....

Other malls in North Texas had designs of their era and had to be updated. When you have a simplistic and clean modern design, there's no need for an update. For example, the Galleria Dallas had to be updated. The previous design would look extremely dated today.
I agree; I don't enjoy shopping at Northpark but I do like the design and architecture.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:28 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
If you compare NorthPark to the fancy mall in any other state, it pales, and I disagree that it doesn't need updated. It looks like it's from the '60s. The hailstorm a few years ago that took out some of those brown skylights forcing an upgrade really did the place a favor. If want square and concrete done right, then the DMA is better. And the outside surrounded by horrific parking garages is even worse.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:31 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I always wondered why there were so many open air malls here, with summer lasting just a tad too long and spring/fall not nearly long enough.

Spent some time in Columbus, OH this summer (daughter will be a Buckeye next month!), and their Easton Town Center is really nice. And the weather was ideal. All the time my daughter and I were wishing we had that kind of weather in Dallas to take advantage of the open air malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas