Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 10,520 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been reading through old threads and find all of the information sharing to be very helpful. We are moving from NYC and would like to find a neighborhood that's similar to the downtown areas of Manhattan, young, diverse and generally affluent. In particular we love to eat out so we're looking for a neighborhood with great restaurants. We have young children and are still deciding between public versus private school options. Please share any thoughts on which neighborhoods we should visit, also if I've missed a similar thread that's already addressed this topic please share the link. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 03:45 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts District (North Oak Cliff), and perhaps downtown itself are going to be the closest to what you're looking for though no one's going to mistake them for Manhattan. And, depending on the age of your children, you may have to consider private school options.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:59 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Where will you be commuting to for work?

Old 07-30-2016, 04:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
There's probably nothing in Dallas that will fit being young, diverse, affluent, and child-centric. DISD schools are generally a joke, so living in a hip central neighborhood will have you going the private school. There won't be many children nearby, as city dwellers in Dallas generally decamp for the suburbs soon after marriage and babies. Uptown and Downtown have good restaurant options. Uptown in particular is the hub of young and professional. Somewhat affluent. The most affluence in a centrally located neighborhood are enclaves called the Park Cities (University Park and Highland Park). Those are just very well located suburbs.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I was born and raised in Dallas and spent my early 20's in NYC. Check any expectations of replicating your downtown Manhattan life as soon as you cross the Hudson.

Parts of Dallas proper that have a lot of families, are affluent and relatively diverse include East Dallas (neighborhoods like the M Streets, Vickery Place, Lakewood Heights). Lakewood proper is pretty white but the middle and high school draws from a larger area that is about 80% not-white and over 50% lower income. Several great public elementaries there and YMMV re middle & high schools. FWIW, most top private schools are about 1/3 non-white and about 20-30% economically diverse. East Dallas is more liberal which will probably appeal to you. Walkable depending on where you live in relation to Lower Greenville Ave and Henderson Ave. Great if you work downtown/uptown; less so if you work in Las Colinas; awful if you work anywhere near Plano/Frisco where Toyota & other HQs are. Zips 75214, 75206, the parts of 75223 zoned to Lakewood Elem.

North Oak Cliff also comes to mind. Some of the city's best indie restaurants are in the Bishop Arts District. In feels in a tiny way like the Brooklyn of Dallas- ie, liberal yuppies. Rosemont School (K-8) is a great neighborhood public with a dual language immersion program. Again, good if you work downtown/ uptown/ Las Colinas; horrific if you work in north Plano. Pretty topography- some of Dallas' only hills and winding streets are here. Zip 75208

**Most of the top private schools are in North Dallas which is about a 20-30 minute drive from East Dallas or NOC depending on which school and where you live. No busses.

The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) are like two lovely Westchester towns plopped right in the middle of the city. Much more conservative than East Dallas or North Oak Cliff, but the most affluent towns in North Texas with one of the top two public school districts in all of Texas. Walkable if you position yourself near Snider Plaza (UP's "downtown"), Highland Park Village (like Madison Ave shops in a historic Spanish style shopping center), or near Knox Street or Preston Center. Not diverse but throwing it out there because it is a great place to live - the city services are "conceirge" level, i.e. the cops will drive by your house while you're out of town and the city bulk trash will pick up your dead Christmas tree on demand. Most centrally located for commutes. Zips 75225 & 75205 zoned to HPISD.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
There's probably nothing in Dallas that will fit being young, diverse, affluent, and child-centric. DISD schools are generally a joke, so living in a hip central neighborhood will have you going the private school. There won't be many children nearby, as city dwellers in Dallas generally decamp for the suburbs soon after marriage and babies. Uptown and Downtown have good restaurant options. Uptown in particular is the hub of young and professional. Somewhat affluent. The most affluence in a centrally located neighborhood are enclaves called the Park Cities (University Park and Highland Park). Those are just very well located suburbs.
Lol. My friends' street in Lakewood has over 40 kids living on it. There are plenty of good schools (private and public) in Dallas and tens of thousands of families with kids living here.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Where will you be commuting to for work?
Hello, I expect to be working in north Dallas, close to the Galleria

Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Thank you, I wasn't sure what Park Cities referred to. I expect to be working in north Dallas so these communities would be well located for our family. Are they both very alike or can you compare the two?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I was born and raised in Dallas and spent my early 20's in NYC. Check any expectations of replicating your downtown Manhattan life as soon as you cross the Hudson.

Parts of Dallas proper that have a lot of families, are affluent and relatively diverse include East Dallas (neighborhoods like the M Streets, Vickery Place, Lakewood Heights). Lakewood proper is pretty white but the middle and high school draws from a larger area that is about 80% not-white and over 50% lower income. Several great public elementaries there and YMMV re middle & high schools. FWIW, most top private schools are about 1/3 non-white and about 20-30% economically diverse. East Dallas is more liberal which will probably appeal to you. Walkable depending on where you live in relation to Lower Greenville Ave and Henderson Ave. Great if you work downtown/uptown; less so if you work in Las Colinas; awful if you work anywhere near Plano/Frisco where Toyota & other HQs are. Zips 75214, 75206, the parts of 75223 zoned to Lakewood Elem.

North Oak Cliff also comes to mind. Some of the city's best indie restaurants are in the Bishop Arts District. In feels in a tiny way like the Brooklyn of Dallas- ie, liberal yuppies. Rosemont School (K-8) is a great neighborhood public with a dual language immersion program. Again, good if you work downtown/ uptown/ Las Colinas; horrific if you work in north Plano. Pretty topography- some of Dallas' only hills and winding streets are here. Zip 75208

**Most of the top private schools are in North Dallas which is about a 20-30 minute drive from East Dallas or NOC depending on which school and where you live. No busses.

The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park) are like two lovely Westchester towns plopped right in the middle of the city. Much more conservative than East Dallas or North Oak Cliff, but the most affluent towns in North Texas with one of the top two public school districts in all of Texas. Walkable if you position yourself near Snider Plaza (UP's "downtown"), Highland Park Village (like Madison Ave shops in a historic Spanish style shopping center), or near Knox Street or Preston Center. Not diverse but throwing it out there because it is a great place to live - the city services are "conceirge" level, i.e. the cops will drive by your house while you're out of town and the city bulk trash will pick up your dead Christmas tree on demand. Most centrally located for commutes. Zips 75225 & 75205 zoned to HPISD.
Thank you so much for the long and thoughtful reply! I will be working in north Dallas so it looks like the park cities are where we should focus our search for a home. Do you think we could rent a nice home there for a year until we figure out where we want to live. In terms of the schools, is there a public or private option that would be a good fit for a mom who works full time? I want my kids to fit in but I won't be around to be involved as I'm moving for a new job.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty123xyz View Post
Hello, I expect to be working in north Dallas, close to the Galleria
The areas being suggested will work well for you.

I would highly recommend renting for at least 6 months to get used to the area and find out where you fit I the best before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: