Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 15,380 times

Advertisements

Good day all! My SO and I just recently purchased a new home to start building. We just sent to the architect but want to change the elevation as there are now 4 homes of the same elevation and we really liked the other. The sales rep is saying that we are unable to do this as it has been sent to the architect. Have any of you experienced this? My SO is willing to walk away from said build and forfeit earnest money at this point as the current elevation is rather blocky and not in line with what tends to sell in the area - the castle tower structure as opposed to angular homes. Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
If you signed the contract within the last 8-10 business days, it is costly to the builder to redo it but not impossible. They say no because it affects purchasing because brick and stone are ordered right away and permits are submitted right away too.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 PM

I understand that but we haven't gone to design yet so they haven't ordered brick prat one just yet as we haven't told them our selection. The elevation we want simply changes the porch shape. Albeit that seems simple to me I realize that they would be required to have new plans drawn up and permits resubmitted. We signed back in June but it was submitted to architect in the past 12 days so I see what you mean here. Just totally bummed that my SO really wanted the porch and won't be able to get it. Not sure what it would cost to do after market.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Anything you change to the exterior will have to be approved by the HOA. There's likely one since pretty much all new construction in DFW has one.

At this point, I would suggest that you just ask the builder if there's an architectural fee, sometimes $2500 to $5000 for you to be able to make the change.

Builders just say no because they don't want to set a precedent.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
And they can only build so many Elevations on a street or neighborhood. It's got to meet that criteria.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ2015 View Post
Not sure what it would cost to do after market.
Won't be able to add after the fact. They will build the house on the set back line and the house or construction can't go in front of that line.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 PM

There is only one other lot on our street and we are the only model - it's a cul-de-sac. I don't know about paying 5000 for a different elevation that will already increase the cost by 10k. sheesh...As far as the set back line, it will be J swing so changing the elevation wouldn't affect the set back line as it literally only changes the architecture around the front door from a cathedral exterior to a tower - there are other things it adds but they don't affect the line either and this is my SO main concern. Nonetheless, we go to design center tomorrow and now I will have to pony the 12k to get some hardwood floors that I originally planned to do after market. What are some things that many are finding they're not getting return on investment when done through the builder (i.e. hardwood floors, upgraded granite, built in bench, etc.)

Old 07-25-2016, 10:13 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
There is only one other lot on our street and we are the only model - it's a cul-de-sac. I don't know about paying 5000 for a different elevation that will already increase the cost by 10k. sheesh...As far as the set back line, it will be J swing so changing the elevation wouldn't affect the set back line as it literally only changes the architecture around the front door from a cathedral exterior to a tower - there are other things it adds but they don't affect the line either and this is my SO main concern. Nonetheless, we go to design center tomorrow and now I will have to pony the 12k to get some hardwood floors that I originally planned to do after market. What are some things that many are finding they're not getting return on investment when done through the builder (i.e. hardwood floors, upgraded granite, built in bench, etc.)
Contrary to what home renovation shows make you believe, the return on "investment" is always negative, and more so if done through the builder.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 PM

Thanks serger, I'll keep that in mind. Some of my coworkers said to just go for it as all the new homes we will compete with in a few years will have hardwoods and that after market could damage base boards, cause need for elevated doors due to height of floors etc. We've already done many structural changes and small things like door handles I can do myself. I try not to tackle major things (i.e. electrical, flooring, etc).

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM

14 posts, read 21,004 times
Quote:
I have just sold my home that I had built in the culutural district in fort worth and the floors and everyone said paying whatever I paid for the floors wouldn't increase the value of the home and I believe they were right. That being said it did increase interest in the property. I was listed for 7 days and got above asking and both me and my realtor thought were listing aggressively for the area. I don't know if that helps but the floors and lighting make a big difference in the interest in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas