Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:47 PM

55 posts, read 70,883 times

Advertisements

Adair's Saloon and Max's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
There's also the King's X on Forest Lane. No traces of hipster at all. Just an ACTUAL dive.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times
Thanks for the additional replies! :-)

If a dive bar isn't hipster or mostly college students, that's a plus in our book!

Thanks again, the bars y'all suggested seem like fun places! Hard to choose! But, there's a good chance we'll be moving to DFW after I finish grad school, so perhaps I can save this thread for future reference as well.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:39 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
Lots of good suggestions on this list but here's another to add: One Eyed Penguin hidden in the middle of downtown.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Lots of good suggestions on this list but here's another to add: One Eyed Penguin hidden in the middle of downtown.
Thanks, that looks like it'd be interesting to check out, too!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:19 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Closer to Love Field:
Time Out Tavern aka "the Tot" - West Lovers Lane, west of Inwood
Inwood Tavern - Inwood just north of West Lovers Lane
^you can hit both in one night

Closer to Oak Lawn/ south side Love Field:
Windmill Lounge - Maple Ave west of Tollroad. Karaoke.
The Grapevine- Maple Ave east of Tollroad
**do NOT attempt to walk from one to the other as Maple west of Tollroad is still kinda sketchy at night.

Elsewhere:
Lee Harvey's - in The Cedars just south of downtown. Again, not a neighborhood to roam around in but cool spot
Cosmo's - Lakewood area
Louie's - Henderson Ave, a pizza dive. Cash only. One of the best. Surrounded by other bars in case you want to keep moving. Barcadia isn't a dive but is fun if you like old school arcade games and giant jenga!
Obviously the TOT -- it's very close to Love Field, as is the Inwood Tavern. Not real thrilled with the change in clientele at the Time Out (More of a Hillcrest than an HP crowd now), but whatever.

The Grapevine is definitely a dive, and it's close to Love.

Used to go to Louie's once or twice a weekend 25 years ago. Not sure what it's like now, but it must still be a dive. My Greek friend turned me on to the feta-and-onion piza after I'd been going with sausage and jalapeno for years. Highly recommended. But not close to Love.

Lee Harvey's is a hipster/ironic dive, is it not? And it's not close to Love, either.

And someone else mentioned Gingerman -- definitely not a dive. It's a chain, for God's sake.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's also the King's X on Forest Lane. No traces of hipster at all. Just an ACTUAL dive.
I've always been curious about that place. I did finally try out One Nostalgia Place on Abrams, just south of Skillman. I guess that qualifies.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
I've been to Lola's in Houston. The bathroom was disgusting, but it was fun. The Grapevine in Oak Lawn is probably the closest comparable bar, but it's not as grungy, and the crowd is a little more Uptownish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Lol I've been to that one. Along with many of the others on this list. King's X is definetly a dive!

Chesterfield's on Inwood has food and Darts, very dive-y. If you don't mind gay bars the Hidden Door is a blast. It opens at 7am with 75¢ draft beer and $3 wells, including bloody marys

Fort Worth actually has some pretty good dives too if you're ever in that neck of the woods. I like Sarah's Place on Camp Bowie and Corporate Image on Brentwood Stair.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 08-10-2016 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I've been to Lola's in Houston. The bathroom was disgusting, but it was fun. The Grapevine in Oak Lawn is probably the closest comparable bar, but it's not as grungy, and the crowd is a little more Uptownish.

Chesterfield's on Inwood has food and Darts, very dive-y. If you don't mind gay bars the Hidden Door is a blast. It opens at 7am with 75¢ draft beer and $3 wells, including bloody marys

Fort Worth actually has some pretty good dives too if you're ever in that neck of the woods. I like Sarah's Place on Camp Bowie and Corporate Image on Brentwood Stair.
Lol, oh yeah, the bathrooms were gross in Lola's, vaguely remember going in there. Luckily the $1.75 G&T's we drank helped me to notice it less.

Ok cool, 75 cent drafts are an awesome deal for sure.

Thanks, I'll keep those places in mind if we mosey over to Ft. Worth!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Obviously the TOT -- it's very close to Love Field, as is the Inwood Tavern. Not real thrilled with the change in clientele at the Time Out (More of a Hillcrest than an HP crowd now), but whatever.

The Grapevine is definitely a dive, and it's close to Love.

Used to go to Louie's once or twice a weekend 25 years ago. Not sure what it's like now, but it must still be a dive. My Greek friend turned me on to the feta-and-onion piza after I'd been going with sausage and jalapeno for years. Highly recommended. But not close to Love.

Lee Harvey's is a hipster/ironic dive, is it not? And it's not close to Love, either.

And someone else mentioned Gingerman -- definitely not a dive. It's a chain, for God's sake.
Thanks for the reply! Luckily my fiancee doesn't drink much, so she is often the DD. Perhaps we can start out near Lee Harvey's and explore around there and later on move our way back towards Love Field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas