Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:41 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I use my turn signal whenever my actions will affect another driver/vehicle.

Example, if I'm in the right lane and I'm coming up to a cross street and I'll be slowing down to make a right turn, I will put on my signal if there is someone close enough behind me that they will need to slow down or modify their driving in any way. If they are far enough back that my turn doesn't affect them at all, I won't put it on, I'll just make the turn.

I'll also put it on if I'm making that same turn onto the cross street and there's another car on that cross street waiting to turn onto the main road. By putting on my signal, they know that I'm planning on turning and they can make their turn and not have to wait until I've actually turned. Saves them time.
Unfortunately there's a lot of people here that are not as considerate as you. It's a big middle finger to anyone sitting there waiting. Also, it's gotten so bad that no one trusts a blinker since it may not truly reflect the driver's intentions, but rather is activated by mistake. This blinker incompetence isn't limited to DFW, it was prevalent in Austin when I lived there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:53 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
regardless of what the law says, IMO, it is pointless to use the signal most of the time. For example, if you are trying to change lane, and the car in the other lane is like 50ft behind you, whats point of giving the signal, does it really matter if the other driver is aware of the situation or not.
Another example, you need to turn left at the intersection, once you have changed to the left turn only lane and waiting for the green arrow, doesn't really matter if your left turn signal is on or off. The list goes on and on, but you get my point.
You do have to use the signal when you feel like your action might affect other drivers action on the road. For example, 2 lane hwy, you are driving on the left and absolutely need to change to the right to exit the hwy, and there is a pile of cars on the right lane and behind you, then it is a good idea for you to give the signal.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
I have lived in many different cities across the country and in Texas. DFW has the WORST drivers hands down of any place I have ever lived. Drivers here drive way too fast, tailgate, cut other off, do not signal, or know how to merge properly. I have seen the emergency lane used as a passing lane on 183, not one but twice at high rates of speed. They need driver's ed in school.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM

431 posts, read 257,417 times
One big thing to add... once you do get in front of someone (if it is a lane change to the left) DO NOT pace the traffic of the lane you just departed! Speed up and find the common speed in the new lane... other wise the person you just got in front of WILL WANT YOU TO DIE. [/quote]

Yep

Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM

431 posts, read 257,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I have lived in many different cities across the country and in Texas. DFW has the WORST drivers hands down of any place I have ever lived. Drivers here drive way too fast, tailgate, cut other off, do not signal, or know how to merge properly. I have seen the emergency lane used as a passing lane on 183, not one but twice at high rates of speed. They need driver's ed in school.

That's what I've heard from people that move here; It's the worst they've seen!! I'm in the insurance business and we wonder why our rates are so high

Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 PM

298 posts, read 416,692 times
Living here, I've mostly seen people use their turn signals. There is an annoying minority that doesn't.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:57 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
The reason I bring up this point is after visiting Southern California, another sprawling metro region with even more people, I realized the majority of people there use their turn signals.
Yeah right!!! People in SoCal are notorious for not.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 5,182 times
I lived in LA County for over 10 years. I was appalled by Texas drivers when I moved here. I was used to people using their signal regardless of wether or not someone was deemed "close enough" for it to matter. Signaling for me is such a habit that I do it if I am the only person on the road late at night. I learned how to drive in California.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Using your turn signal alerts the driver behind you to test their horn. Testing your horn is very important, I help them out when I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas