Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
It used to, though. It started waning in the 80's I'd say... Dallas was just as much of an "oil" town as Houston. It was still somewhat common to see horses being ridden around downtown, not just by cops either, by people with cowboy hats. Now, you'll have to go to Ft. Worth for that.

Hat racks in downtown office buildings. Yes, these were in every lobby... for your Cowboy hats of course. You'd see lots of large belt buckles too. The "jeans, boots, belt buckle, sportcoat" look was alive and well.
It was more "upscale" than Ft. Worth, but every bit as authentic. That was the blend of oil money and ranching. Ft. Worth was just ranching. Now, Dallas is just money.
I can maybe see the "rich cowboy look" in Dallas back in the 80's, but people riding horses in Downtown? Do you mean the 1880s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 04:11 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I can maybe see the "rich cowboy look" in Dallas back in the 80's, but people riding horses in Downtown? Do you mean the 1880s?
And they wore cowboy hats. Seriously. And to work. And all that oil. And ranching.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
I remember seeing horses being ridden around downtown, usually there was some function going on though. But yes, it was fairly typical seeing them walking around the West End area, or in various parade routes, taste festivals, etc. People didn't ride horses to work, my father used to work in Lincoln Plaza back in the 80's, commuted by car.

Don't remember hat racks in the lobby LOL, but there were quite a few people in the building that wore cowboy hats, most of them were either working for Halliburton or Great Southern Life.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:56 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
You know, thought about this some more... Don't know if anyone is into tennis, but back in the 80's they used to hold the WCT Finals in Dallas every year. One of their promo posters sums up the "personality" of Dallas for me back then, they had a tennis player (probably some model actually) lounging with his feet up in a convertible Cadillac, holding a tennis racket while wearing a cowboy hat, in black and white.

We went to the finals that year to watch, I think it was between John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors, and were given that poster. Anyway, that promo poster pretty much summed up what Dallas was then, I think.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:20 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
I totally disagree. I'm a Dallas native born at Medical City. Even in the 80s people in Dallas assumed you were a tourist if you wore a cowboy hat and when you weren't going to a rodeo or Western bar. We used to laugh about how inaccurate the show Dallas was.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Dallas definitely has personality, but it definitely does not have a unique personality like Charleston, New Orleans, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've always said that you could pick Dallas up and drop it in the middle of Oklahoma and you wouldn't be able to tell any difference. In Dallas, you don't really feel like you are in Texas. It just feels like any other American city.
And it will never have that same sort of personality because those cities are much older. Disagree about not being able to differentiate between Dallas and cities in Oklahoma. Perhaps if your experience with Dallas is limited to suburban areas.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:36 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
It used to, though. It started waning in the 80's I'd say... Dallas was just as much of an "oil" town as Houston. It was still somewhat common to see horses being ridden around downtown, not just by cops either, by people with cowboy hats. Now, you'll have to go to Ft. Worth for that.

Hat racks in downtown office buildings. Yes, these were in every lobby... for your Cowboy hats of course. You'd see lots of large belt buckles too. The "jeans, boots, belt buckle, sportcoat" look was alive and well.
It was more "upscale" than Ft. Worth, but every bit as authentic. That was the blend of oil money and ranching. Ft. Worth was just ranching. Now, Dallas is just money.
Dallas was never an oil town. Banking and business from the very beginning. Having said that, growing up in North Dallas (within the LBJ ring not what is considered North Dallas now) there were folks in my area that had enough acreage to own horses and we did see people riding on the streets from time to time. That was during the 1970s.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:35 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
I wasn't here for either the old Deep Ellum
Few of were, since it was paved over by Central Expressway (replacing Central Ave.) about 1947, leaving only Honest Joe's as the last remnant.

I am not old enough to remember anything but Honest Joe's which my father took me into more than once (he seems to have known everyone in the lower middle class of Dallas at the time, which maybe isn't surprising since he lived there from about 1930 on).

Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but that's just plain nonsense. I was here.

In the late 70s/early 80s, the giant belt buckle/cowboy hat worn indoors/total "urban cowboy" look got nothing but guffaws from actual real live Texans.

If anyone rode a horse around downtown Dallas after about 1920 it was done as a stunt and the horses were brought to town in trailers. Exactly where do you think the horses came from? Highland Park? Come on.

Downtown office buildings have and had hat/umbrella racks everywhere in the US. Believe it or not, men used to wear hats all the time. Not just Texan men but men in Chicago and Seattle as well.

Dallas' economy in the 50s-70s was typically more based on cotton, finance, and insurance, with a significant admixture of manufacturing. Not primarily oil, though there was a component of oil.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:46 AM

31 posts, read 37,706 times
I like how this thread has turned into an argument about what Dallas looked like 30-40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas